Author Topic: Longstaff Servicing  (Read 15755 times)

Sigurd Mudtracker

Re: Longstaff Servicing
« Reply #25 on: 09 September, 2008, 07:17:12 pm »
I can always offer garage space under favourable terms....   ;D

Treewheeler

« Reply #26 on: 10 September, 2008, 05:45:43 pm »
I can confirm that this is very probally the one featured in the article.
I had a 'work experience' during this period at Longstaffs.
It was built as a joke really ::-), for the publicity and if you contact Bev Longstaff she may remember the details and tell you how many were 'not built'...
 I see you have a fleet of barrows there so I expect to see you in the list of super randoneurs and a finisher of the 2011 P-B-P. :thumbsup:

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #27 on: 10 September, 2008, 08:39:57 pm »
I'm awaiting a reply from Longstaffs re nos built.  It may have been a joke but it is a joy on muddy bridle paths and goes where my cross bike can't.  Uphill though is a problem it must weigh 50lb!  At the moment it is temporarily retired as there is clicking indicating a square bearing in either pedal or bottom bracket both being rather firmly attached they will have to wait for the weekend.  My audax career is also temporarily retired due to a clicking in my lower portions but I've managed a couple of 200s this year on the road trike and a 100 this weekend - come and say hello at Oundle places still available!  But I keep finding myself drawn to the LEL - trike or bike ??

« Reply #28 on: 11 September, 2008, 06:26:18 pm »
If Resus1UK or anybody else with any interest, would like to send me an email address  can send you a pdf of instructions and exploded diagram for a Longstaff axle.  It is something he put together a few years ago now.

Pedant - it is not a differential, it is a two wheel drive.  Quite different animals.

I only ever put a little oil in the old Sachs/Maillard TWD.  Sprockets for these are becoming hard to find, so like Tuggo I recommend a change to Trykit.

Longstaff

« Reply #29 on: 30 September, 2008, 02:11:52 pm »
Dear Forum,

I have read all your comments with great interest, and feel that some trikies out there are a wee bit misinformed on the products and services we offer.

Many years ago George designed our new cassette unit to replace the Sachs double freewheel unit that we were using at the time.
Trykit do have a copy of this unit that fits Longstaff trikes.
These units are still made here in our workshops, and are available to be supplied and /or fitted to Longstaff trikes.

Check out British Paralympic rider Dave Stone recently winning gold on a Longstaff trike with the said lightweight unit.

Dare I disagree with the comment 'the only person who can answer these questions is dead'.
I am alive and kicking and very willing to answer any queries/questions concerning any of our machines.

Having worked with George from day 1, I  am full of lots of useful (and sometimes useless) information concerning trikes, tandems, bikes -  and not just Longstaff! 

Hope to hear from you soon
Bev Longstaff

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #30 on: 30 September, 2008, 02:36:13 pm »
Excellent, welcome, it's nice to have you here.

I've got a question if I may.

My Longstaff trike (which I bought S/H about a year ago) has a cantilever brake and a single pivot brake, both mounted on the front of the forks.  I've put the longest pads onto both that will fit (had to file one pair down slightly) but I could still do with a bit more braking power.

How easy would it be to replace the single pivot with a dual pivot? Would I use a standard dual pivot, or do I need one with a modified mounting?

Thanks in advance.

Graham
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #31 on: 30 September, 2008, 06:47:16 pm »
Bev
Same question - how many yetis were made?  I have the build note for mine so am reasonably confident that it wasn't the one in the article so there must be others.  When I have saved a bit the road trike gets the double free wheel.

alan

« Reply #32 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:27:02 am »
I shall be going into Longsaff's later for some advice relating to headset on my tourer.
Should I take my wallet with me or not? :-\

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #33 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:37:08 am »
I shall be going into Longsaff's later for some advice relating to headset on my tourer.

A credit card with a high limit might be more appropriate :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #34 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:38:05 am »
Dangerous!
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #35 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:46:44 am »

A credit card with a high limit might be more appropriate :thumbsup:

That's the problem..I have such things

alan

« Reply #36 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:47:52 am »
Dangerous!

Indeed,& I don't do "resist temptation" too well :-[

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #37 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:49:08 am »
Do you need a minder to stop you reaching for the plastic?
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #38 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:51:52 am »
Do you need a minder to stop you reaching for the plastic?

I have one known as  the Boss Marj but she will not be with me.
I could try "gettheebehindmesatan" & be an  O:-).

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #39 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:53:02 am »
"Lead us not into temptation, and deliver us from bankruptcy........"

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

alan

« Reply #40 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:54:11 am »
"gettheebehindmesatan"

Here's a thought.
That could be a reason to get a tandem of some sort :demon:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #41 on: 12 March, 2009, 10:56:31 am »
Marj may not appreciate the comparison...
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #42 on: 12 March, 2009, 01:45:51 pm »
saved by the "early-closing-on-Thursday" policy :-\

« Reply #43 on: 12 March, 2009, 02:15:05 pm »
Oooohhhh :'(
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Zoidburg

« Reply #44 on: 12 March, 2009, 02:50:56 pm »
I can come round and look at it if you like, I have been known to wield the odd allen key in anger.

Thats if you realy want me know where you live that is...

alan

« Reply #45 on: 12 March, 2009, 08:18:56 pm »
That's a kind offer.
I don't know that I need someone to do the work.What I want in the first instance is some advice so that I can then decide to destroy do it myself or otherwise.
I  usually enjoy doing the fettling but don't want to make a dog's breakfast of it & then need the lbs rescue service :-[.
Perhaps I could come over to your Stafford gig when you are there.I need the miles in prep. for JoGLe.

« Reply #46 on: 13 March, 2009, 12:12:02 am »
How easy would it be to replace the single pivot with a dual pivot? Would I use a standard dual pivot, or do I need one with a modified mounting?

I asked the same question regarding my Rogers, and tatanab was kind enough to send some information. The gist of it is that the most common set-up is a rear brake screwed into the post, so you should be able to swap in a rear dual pivot. I've dropped him a line to ask him to provide more detail.

mtrike

• aka action barbie
« Reply #47 on: 13 March, 2009, 12:50:08 pm »
Excellent, welcome, it's nice to have you here.

I've got a question if I may.

My Longstaff trike (which I bought S/H about a year ago) has a cantilever brake and a single pivot brake, both mounted on the front of the forks.  I've put the longest pads onto both that will fit (had to file one pair down slightly) but I could still do with a bit more braking power.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

I replaced mine as a straight replacement with a front ultegra dp wih no problems.   It might be worth measuring just to see if you need a deep drop

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 13 March, 2009, 02:18:44 pm »
Slowly again please, for the hard of understanding:

I know we're talking about trikes here, but I have a couple of bikes that could benefit of the reduced drag of a DP over a SP.  Can they just be replaced?  i thought they needed drilling for the allen bolts (not possible in one of my cases).

Can i do a straight swap?
Getting there...

« Reply #49 on: 13 March, 2009, 04:55:58 pm »
I replaced mine as a straight replacement with a front ultegra dp wih no problems.   It might be worth measuring just to see if you need a deep drop
I think you are writing about something quite different here.  Looking at the picture of your trikes, the road Longstaff has a front brake fitted through the fork crown just as is normal on a bike, then has a cantilever behind the fork crown.  Hence you can do what you like with single or dual pivot brakes.

As I read it, Zipperhead has the circumstance where the cantilever is mounted in front of the forks with a single pivot brake on  a stalk.  In the same place you have a centrepull on your Rogers.

Now- it is easy to replace the centrepull on the stalk by a DP.  It is not easy (in fact I don't know how to)  replace the SP on the stalk with a DP.  The reason for this is that George integrated the central bolt of the brake into the stalk, hence any brake must fit that and be secured by a nut at the end.

However, you can fit probably any SP brake to the stalk.  Mine started out with a 1980 Campag brake and  has now got a very much newer Shimano SP.  With decent cables and routing etc this is a powerful brake.

So, Zipperhead - I don't know.