Author Topic: RIP Roger Moore  (Read 4040 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
RIP Roger Moore
« on: 23 May, 2017, 02:25:21 pm »
His were the definitive Bond films and he was a good egg.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: RIP Roger Moore
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2017, 02:29:14 pm »
I remember him in The Saint & The Persuaders.   Didn't think much of him as Bond, but have read he was a nice bloke & good guy to work with.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2017, 02:32:43 pm »
Tries no to make the Roger Mortis* joke...

...fails.

* With thanks to Fluck and Law

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2017, 02:33:58 pm »
RIP.

He was my Bond and, at the time (school age), he seemed like a good Bond.

Not a good time to discuss his actual acting talents but he always seemed like a nice enough fella, who didn't take himself that seriously.

Edit.
Live and Let Die (1973)
The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
Moonraker (1979)
For Your Eyes Only (1981)
Octopussy (1983)
A View to a Kill (1985)...when Moore was 58 !!!! (21 years older than the age most fans accept that Bond was in the novels)

I was 11 when I saw Live & Let Die.  I have no desire to see if it stood the test of time but, trust me, it was the best film any 11 year-old could ever wish to see.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2017, 03:06:38 pm »
I have a vague recollection of The Saint, and Moore's occasional weird nod to a supposed American accent.

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2017, 03:17:27 pm »
Sorry, really didn't like him as bond, but he was definitely great as the Saint.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2017, 03:26:12 pm »
Quote from: LEE

I was 11 when I saw Live & Let Die.  I have no desire to see if it stood the test of time but, trust me, it was the best film any 11 year-old could ever wish to see.

Names is for tombstones, baby.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2017, 03:36:02 pm »
He was also OK in "Gold", adapted from a Wilbur Smith book I think.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/05/roger-moore-met/

Not unhappy to get his hands dirty for a good cause according to that.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2017, 03:50:35 pm »
watched both North Sea Hijack and Man With The Golden Gun only this weekend.  Trying to explain to my daughter why James Bond kept changing - just referred to The Doctor

I always loved his slightly tongue in cheek approach, particularly in [I Think] the Cannonball Run films
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2017, 03:58:42 pm »
I think the best that could be said about his acting was that it wasn't 'strenuous'.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2017, 04:27:05 pm »
A thoroughly nice chap.  I always thought him wrong for Bond, and wrong for the Saint too: he looked far too genteel.  It didn't much matter, I suppose.

I remember him remarking once that every time he had to fire a gun he closed his eyes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2017, 05:53:06 pm »
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12 on: 23 May, 2017, 05:58:57 pm »
Think it's fair to say he never took himself TOO SERIOUSLY...

As mentioned upthread.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #13 on: 23 May, 2017, 06:07:58 pm »
Quite; this anecdote I've seen shared on social media illustrates that rather​ wonderfully:

"As an seven year old in about 1983, in the days before First Class Lounges at airports, I was with my grandad in Nice Airport and saw Roger Moore sitting at the departure gate, reading a paper. I told my granddad I'd just seen James Bond and asked if we could go over so I could get his autograph. My grandad had no idea who James Bond or Roger Moore were, so we walked over and he popped me in front of Roger Moore, with the words "my grandson says you're famous. Can you sign this?"

As charming as you'd expect, Roger asks my name and duly signs the back of my plane ticket, a fulsome note full of best wishes. I'm ecstatic, but as we head back to our seats, I glance down at the signature. It's hard to decipher it but it definitely doesn't say 'James Bond'. My grandad looks at it, half figures out it says 'Roger Moore' - I have absolutely no idea who that is, and my hearts sinks. I tell my grandad he's signed it wrong, that he's put someone else's name - so my grandad heads back to Roger Moore, holding the ticket which he's only just signed.

I remember staying by our seats and my grandad saying "he says you've signed the wrong name. He says your name is James Bond." Roger Moore's face crinkled up with realisation and he beckoned me over. When I was by his knee, he leant over, looked from side to side, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said to me, "I have to sign my name as 'Roger Moore' because otherwise...Blofeld might find out I was here." He asked me not to tell anyone that I'd just seen James Bond, and he thanked me for keeping his secret. I went back to our seats, my nerves absolutely jangling with delight. My grandad asked me if he'd signed 'James Bond.' No, I said. I'd got it wrong. I was working with James Bond now.

Many, many years later, I was working as a scriptwriter on a recording that involved UNICEF, and Roger Moore was doing a piece to camera as an ambassador. He was completely lovely and while the cameramen were setting up, I told him in passing the story of when I met him in Nice Airport. He was happy to hear it, and he had a chuckle and said "Well, I don't remember but I'm glad you got to meet James Bond." So that was lovely.

And then he did something so brilliant. After the filming, he walked past me in the corridor, heading out to his car - but as he got level, he paused, looked both ways, raised an eyebrow and in a hushed voice said, "Of course I remember our meeting in Nice. But I didn't say anything in there, because those cameramen - any one of them could be working for Blofeld."

I was as delighted at 30 as I had been at 7. What a man. What a tremendous man."

« Reply #14 on: 23 May, 2017, 06:18:55 pm »
A lovely story.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15 on: 23 May, 2017, 06:58:56 pm »

« Reply #16 on: 24 May, 2017, 02:07:40 pm »
FFS, this is getting worse than last year.

I loved Roger. I'm sure he's attempting re-entry now  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 24 May, 2017, 05:51:34 pm »
I'm sure he's attempting re-entry now  :P

As a young space nerd, it took me *far* too long to get that joke.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #18 on: 24 May, 2017, 06:58:46 pm »
I'll very happily watch the re-runs of The Saint with RM as S. Templar on ITV4 as they're quite amusing, but I really _enjoyed_ The Persuaders.  Utter tosh, but _good_ tosh.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #19 on: 25 May, 2017, 02:48:42 am »
My memory of him goes back to black and white TV, a slick hook line in the theme tune, a stick man figure, and Moore looking upward as a halo appears over his head. I can't watch the tubeyou link at work, but I am guessing it might be the Spitting Image eyebrow acting scene--if it isn't, it should be.

"Roger, give me anger!"
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

spindrift

« Reply #20 on: 25 May, 2017, 10:04:54 am »
The Persuaders in Hungary was called "Two Spoons In Every Soup"

In Sweden "Snobs On The Job"

Russia: "Extra Class Amateur Detectives"

Norway: "Golden Boys"

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #21 on: 25 May, 2017, 10:53:49 am »
John Barry's "Persuaders" theme is epic, too epic for such a light-hearted show in my opinion.

It's more Jason Bourne than Brett Sinclair
https://youtu.be/fvuuAUJ2x6I
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #22 on: 25 May, 2017, 12:07:53 pm »
John Barry's "Persuaders" theme is epic, too epic for such a light-hearted show in my opinion.

The title sequence was epic as well as the theme. The show itself a bit of a let down.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #23 on: 26 May, 2017, 12:11:59 pm »
Noooooooo! I loved the Persuaders. It was about glamour!

For God knows how many years, I thought Rog and I shared birthdays, but I was wrong . . . by two days out! Doh!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24 on: 26 May, 2017, 04:01:46 pm »
Are you two days older than him, or younger?
It is simpler than it looks.