Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 941741 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7350 on: 15 June, 2017, 07:42:25 pm »
I think I own the other copy of Red Planet.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7351 on: 16 June, 2017, 08:11:58 am »
Revolver. Shouldn't have bothered. This, from the guy who directed LockStock? Sheesh.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

spindrift

« Reply #7352 on: 19 June, 2017, 04:29:05 pm »
Guy Ritchie. Public school wannabe gangster. His Arthur bombed, poor old Gemma Arterton's wartime drama bombed, that means every film she's been in has bombed, Cruise's Mummy has bombed and spells trouble for Universal's monster franchise. Wonder Woman is kicking box office arse.   

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7353 on: 25 June, 2017, 12:53:05 am »
X-Men

With Huge Jackman and Anna Packhorse.

I fell asleep and confused it with A1: Britain's Longest Road*, which was on when I woke up.

I shall have to watch it again.

*Part 1
It is simpler than it looks.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7354 on: 25 June, 2017, 07:02:43 am »
JAson Bourne

The one with matt Damon coming back for no reason really. Tommy-Lee Jones did not improve it. Action sequences added a pointless hour to it and I was never quire sure of the plot premise.

Bears absolutely no resemblance to the books, which I'm rereading right now.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7355 on: 25 June, 2017, 07:34:19 am »
Edge of Tomorrow, starring yesterday's action hero. He's a bloody good actor, I wish he would make decent films. In Magnolia & Rain Man he was excellent. EoT earns a half-closed eye, mostly for CGI.

« Reply #7356 on: 25 June, 2017, 07:35:43 pm »
Transformers in 3D.  I have no idea what was going on.
Move Faster and Bake Things

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7357 on: 27 June, 2017, 06:53:25 pm »
The Graduate (re-released)  - 50 years on and still brilliant - and I got in at the OAP rate!

Rob

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7358 on: 30 June, 2017, 12:31:29 pm »
Bad Education - The Movie.  Puerile humour, and offensive to the Cornish.  I loved it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

spindrift

« Reply #7359 on: 02 July, 2017, 11:13:52 pm »
The Monuments men.

Bit muddled, nowhere near as good as The Train, which dealt with the same subject. It's a bit unfocused and directionless with a useless sub-plot romance between Damon and Blanchett. In the film it's seven men, in reality there were 350. Also, when the lady sings "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" she says "'Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.'' That line wasn't added to the song until '57.  Ruined it for me.

« Reply #7360 on: 04 July, 2017, 06:57:54 am »
Rock of Ages

What is it about Tom Cruise as a hair metal star in the '80s that makes this movie way more watcheable than it deserves to be?
Oh, yeah, the songs of that era.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7361 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:11:48 am »
Café Society

The latest "return to form" for Woody Allen. It's OK. A bit pointless. Jesse Eisenberg does a good impersonation of a younger, better looking Woody Allen. Very missable.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7362 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:33:27 am »
About a third of the latest Godzilla avatar that I'm aware of.  It doesn't even have the CGI to recommend it - the monsters look like something made on Blue Peter. Seeing an actor of David Strathearn's calibre in such tripe is depressing.  Roland Emmerich's version is far, far better, and funny with it.

For some reason, the title of Café Society reminded me of After Hours.  Haven't seen that for years but it was great, like recovering from a bout of indigestion.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7363 on: 04 July, 2017, 01:17:01 pm »
Kong: Skull Island

Somebody was *seriously* disappointed that all the Vietnam war films had already been made, so set out to make one anyway.  Bizarrely, this makes it a much more watchable piece of dross than I was expecting.

Logan

Not a reboot of Logan's Run.  Bizarrely, this makes it a much less watchable piece of dross than I was expecting.  Even Patrick Stewart can't save it.

« Reply #7364 on: 07 July, 2017, 11:30:35 am »
American Sniper

Hmm. It's a sad film - the main character has a very simplistic view of the world, when he's pushed to doing things that breach his sense of morality, he doesn't cope well.
From general resources, the real Chris Kyle wasn't as nice a person as made out in the film (not surprising, given the director).

On balance, I think it is a pretty decent film. Saved from being mawkish by using real veterans with nasty injuries at the end, when Chris is back in the USA.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7365 on: 07 July, 2017, 12:11:10 pm »
For some reason, the title of Café Society reminded me of After Hours.  Haven't seen that for years but it was great, like recovering from a bout of indigestion.

THANK YOU! For years, I have been trying to remember the name of that film, which I caught by chance on BBC2 one evening - one of those films you only start watching because you can't be bothered to go to bed, then get totally engrossed in it. Didn't realise it was Scorsese. Very strange but very funny. ISTR the protagonist ends up being taken away in the back of a van in a full body plaster cast.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7366 on: 08 July, 2017, 12:41:03 am »
Baby Driver

Great sound track with car chases.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7367 on: 08 July, 2017, 09:07:33 am »

THANK YOU! For years, I have been trying to remember the name of that film, which I caught by chance on BBC2 one evening - one of those films you only start watching because you can't be bothered to go to bed, then get totally engrossed in it. Didn't realise it was Scorsese. Very strange but very funny. ISTR the protagonist ends up being taken away in the back of a van in a full body plaster cast.

I didn't realize it was Scorcese either.  We had it on VHS rental away back - early '90s, probably.  Unfortunately nowadays DVDs of it are "rare", "vintage" or US imports, and there's a TV series that looks eminently avoidable. Maybe Netflix'll get it.

simonp

« Reply #7368 on: 16 July, 2017, 12:31:08 am »
The Shawshank Redemption.

« Reply #7369 on: 16 July, 2017, 10:12:19 am »
The most recent Spiderman film. Quite enjoyable. Very pleased they didn't rehash his origin story yet again. Probably the weakest of the Marvel films though but only by a bit.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #7370 on: 16 July, 2017, 11:06:15 am »
The Beguiled (Clint Eastwood)

Apparently there's a new one in the pipeline...not, of course, that the fillum industry is running out of ideas you understand...

Anyway. Worth a watch.
Steady at 15

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7371 on: 19 July, 2017, 10:10:18 am »
Tim Burton's delightful Big Fish. A lovely touch of the whimsy.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7372 on: 19 July, 2017, 03:21:30 pm »
Baby Driver

Great sound track with car chases.
Oh good. The trailers make it look a load of old sh1te.

But then I heard some interviews, and it sounds intriguing - a totally different film! (I hadn't even twigged it was made by the director of Spaced etc)

Random google hit:
http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/behind-the-music-of-baby-driver-with-director-edgar-wright/

Obviously you're playing a lot of songs on set. During filming, did anybody ever complain about having to work to the same songs over and over again?

There was one song that I eventually ditched from the movie ’cause it started to get on my tits. The scene that now has “Smokey Joe’s La-La” by Googie Rene originally used to be “Nut Rocker” by Bee Bumble and the Stingers. It was in there for a couple of test screenings, and then I thought, “You know what, I'm gonna redo this part of the scene in a little reshoot, and I'm gonna change the song.”

:D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #7373 on: 21 July, 2017, 08:26:44 am »
Dunkirk. in 70mm. I'm a Nolan-sceptic.  He's got a huge talent and ego to match, that will often ruin things. I mostly went to see if for the 70mm experience.
I thought the trailers were a complete mess*, but this was easily one of the best movies I've seen in years, with jaw-dropping cinematography. (And a Hans Zimmer score that actually worked, rather than ruining things).

Absolutely awesome cinema experience that I doubt will carry through on the small screen.

*In context of the movie, the messiness of the trailers makes sense.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7374 on: 21 July, 2017, 10:35:15 am »
L'Ecume des Jours (retitled Mood Indigo in translation, which is curious because, despite lots of Ellington, of Mood Indidgo there is never a warble).  It was... nice. Black of course but that's Vian; he killed himself at 39.  Faithful to the original. FX were deliberately a bit hokey; it fitted the mood and saved cash.  Could have been a bit shorter, dialogue could have been a bit less gabbled, but I suspect that's me lugs.  Don't think I'd watch it again.