Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 390997 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #650 on: 01 August, 2014, 09:18:44 pm »
Yes
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #651 on: 11 August, 2014, 09:32:57 pm »
I'm sure its been asked before, and common knowledge.

But.... when is the calendar announced? Particularly the location and date of the National 400.

I'm presuming end of September?

Cheers!

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
Re: Random audax questions BRM
« Reply #652 on: 14 August, 2014, 06:18:15 am »
Hi
How do you know which of your results are 'BRM'?  If one was thinking of PBP nest year would you have to 'do' anything to get a possible BRM event seen so that you could apply earlier rather than later?? 

BTW BR/BRM seems to be one of the more arcane parts of Audaxing almost as hard as working out what Barley was used for.
L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #653 on: 14 August, 2014, 06:56:43 am »

But.... when is the calendar announced? Particularly the location and date of the National 400.

I'm presuming end of September?
I believe its a creeping, amorphous process. Events can change at the last minute, but are usually published 6 months or more ahead.
BRMs are a bit stricter - especially PBP qualifiers - but in general their is no strict cutoff. Events for next August,say, may not appear before Christmas.

I think.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #654 on: 14 August, 2014, 07:43:00 am »
AFAICT there's a hard cutoff for submission of BRM events (required for PBP qualification) in September/October, in order to get them onto the ACP calendar. The AUK calendar seems more fluid; I think that in another thread, HK has hinted that details of the National 400 can be expected closer to Xmas.

How do you know which of your results are 'BRM'?  If one was thinking of PBP nest year would you have to 'do' anything to get a possible BRM event seen so that you could apply earlier rather than later?? 

If you look at your individual rider record on the AUK website, the first column is for ACP brevet numbers. If you have one there - and having ridden the National 400 you will get one for that - you can pre register for PBP.

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #655 on: 14 August, 2014, 10:58:09 am »

If you look at your individual rider record on the AUK website, the first column is for ACP brevet numbers. If you have one there - and having ridden the National 400 you will get one for that - you can pre register for PBP.

Hmm no ACP brevet against the National 400 on my results???
L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #656 on: 14 August, 2014, 11:27:23 am »
ACP has a slower turnaround time than AUK, reasonable considering it is effectively another 'layer' on top of AUK procedures.

« Reply #657 on: 14 August, 2014, 01:46:37 pm »

Hmm no ACP brevet against the National 400 on my results???
L

Yep, you *will* get one ...

As LWaB says, it's another layer of admin, and IM(very limited)E, it seems to take up to about six or eight weeks for the number to turn up. When you get your brevet card back in the post, it'll have an extra sticker on the back.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #658 on: 14 August, 2014, 06:23:12 pm »
Yeah I got what I though was a route sheet in the post for the Tregaron Dragon the other day - turned out to be my ACP accredited Brevet Card from the Bryan Chapman Memoiral back in May!
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #659 on: 29 August, 2014, 01:56:26 pm »
I've just begun to get back into cycling (and Audaxing) after a gap of about 13 years, and wanted to check out a couple of things:

AAA points - In the past I had an AAA card that was validated separately to the rides - is this still the case or are AAA points now automatically totalled online?

From what I've been reading here and in Arrivee it seems that now you just have to ride from control to conrol and that the routsheet is advisory rather than compulsory.  Whilst I have little desire to deviate from the routsheets, does this mean that secret controls are a thing of the past?

Cheers

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #660 on: 29 August, 2014, 04:45:50 pm »
Secret controls are virtually dead within AUK with possibly only a couple of events each year incorporating them. If they will occur during an event, there must be a space for them on the brevet card. No space on the card, no secret control.

« Reply #661 on: 02 September, 2014, 10:00:39 am »
Mileater diaries - do they run audax year October-September, or January-December?
Does not play well with others

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #662 on: 02 September, 2014, 10:19:22 am »
Calendar year

« Reply #663 on: 15 September, 2014, 04:31:23 pm »
As a returning cyclist at the grand old age of 56 and been of the bike for 12 years.

In the past I have raced, time trialled, cx plus bit Mtb. But Audax is some I read about over the years and fancy giving it a go in 2015.

So what do I look for in a bike? before go and spend my hard earned penny's.

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #664 on: 15 September, 2014, 05:02:01 pm »
Comfort...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #665 on: 15 September, 2014, 05:03:49 pm »

Comfortable.

That's about it really.

Now, the challenge is that one rider's comfy bike is another rider's boneshaker.

I think there's only one trend that pervades almost all machinery that you're likely to encounter in Audax and that's slightly wider tyres than normal, and even 'normal' is slowly changing from 23mm tyres to more 25mm, and the range of frames with suitable clearance is growing all the time now.  25 and 28mm are very common on bikes you will see on Audax rides, no matter whether they are steel tourers or the latest carbon bling.

But you will see everything made in every material possible - none is the right answer for everyone. 

Edit - X-post with Cycling Daddy!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #666 on: 15 September, 2014, 05:07:34 pm »
A higher front end than your race /TT bike to take the strain
Off of your back for all the hours you will spend on it :)
A good saddle for the same reason.. And remember to take your sense of humour with you, I forgot mine last weekend.   Good luck :)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #667 on: 15 September, 2014, 05:45:11 pm »
I'd avoid  a bike that prevented me averaging 14.3kph, no matter how comfortable.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #668 on: 15 September, 2014, 10:13:03 pm »
I'd avoid  a bike that prevented me averaging 14.3kph, no matter how comfortable.
True but that would be an extreme.  wobbly made a very good showing on a Pashley at the national 400 even with the bottom gear out of action.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #669 on: 16 September, 2014, 07:02:39 am »
True but that would be an extreme.  wobbly made a very good showing on a Pashley at the national 400 even with the bottom gear out of action.
Its not extreme at all! I've finished several events on the limit or OOT -I have no doubt that I would have been slower on a Pash, no matter how wonderfully comfortable they are.

Others are in the same boat.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #670 on: 16 September, 2014, 10:27:13 am »

Comfortable.

That's about it really.

Now, the challenge is that one rider's comfy bike is another rider's boneshaker.

I think there's only one trend that pervades almost all machinery that you're likely to encounter in Audax and that's slightly wider tyres than normal, and even 'normal' is slowly changing from 23mm tyres to more 25mm, and the range of frames with suitable clearance is growing all the time now.  25 and 28mm are very common on bikes you will see on Audax rides, no matter whether they are steel tourers or the latest carbon bling.

But you will see everything made in every material possible - none is the right answer for everyone. 

Edit - X-post with Cycling Daddy!

Can you advise on a bike I could buy of the peg to get me started.

Most bike's these day's in the local shops stop only bikes you can not fit proper mud guards and very limited options for tyre clearance.

I have competed in the past in racing, TT and MTB at the age of 56 I am looking for a new challenge.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #671 on: 16 September, 2014, 10:34:19 am »
I wouldn't want to open the can of worms by making a recommendation. I know nothing of your riding style, physiology etc.

My best advice would be turn up on whatever you have at the moment, and see what works for you and your style.

I would never advise buying a specific bike to try some new branch of cycling. Someone new to TTs would not likely be best served by going and spending a load of money on a TT bike before their first attempt. Turn up on what you have and start thinking from there as to what you want from a bike.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #672 on: 16 September, 2014, 01:09:32 pm »
+1
Start with what you have, look at what other people have, and find out what works and doesn't for you - wheels/tyres, geometry, handling, luggage, lighting.....

It'll all depend on you and where you find you want to go with it e.g.  a few summer daylight 100s-200s, or round the year with multi-day and overnight events; hilly or flat; travel light or prepared for the worst; ...
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #673 on: 16 September, 2014, 02:11:19 pm »
+1
Start with what you have, look at what other people have, and find out what works and doesn't for you - wheels/tyres, geometry, handling, luggage, lighting.....

It'll all depend on you and where you find you want to go with it e.g.  a few summer daylight 100s-200s, or round the year with multi-day and overnight events; hilly or flat; travel light or prepared for the worst; ...

Will be all year round, hilly not a problem I live between Swale and Wensleydale so used to a few hills.

Looking at various sites most of the bikes advertised as Audax bikes seem to be Reynolds 520 tubed frames.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #674 on: 16 September, 2014, 06:11:05 pm »
Nobody else has yet suggested the importance of reliability as well as comfort.
You really would prefer not to practise your Mechanical Skilz in a biblical storm on Upper Hurricanedale at 3am.