Author Topic: Jamis Trail X2 @ CRC - Good Value? What size?  (Read 2949 times)

Jamis Trail X2 @ CRC - Good Value? What size?
« on: 24 February, 2011, 06:52:29 pm »
Sprog #3 wants a new MTB for his 12th birthday,

He is a discerning and experienced cyclist who has had to put up with hand-me down Halfrauds MTBs from his older siblings...and a 20 year old rebuilt ebay bargain steel tourer for our E2E last year.

Funds being somewhat short at present, I am looking at these...http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=62400

Does anyone have one? Any experienced MTBers care to comment on the spec / price? Or offer alternatives?

I know my way around road bikes, but pretty clueless about MTBs so any tips would be gratefully received.

- and what size should I get?

He's 5'2" with a 28" inside leg right now... but growing fast (expect him to hit 6' at around age 16) , and he's quite used to riding bikes that are too big for him (tourer is a 21" frame !)

Re: Jamis Trail X2 @ CRC - Good Value? What size?
« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2011, 07:50:17 pm »
A well established Brand (and, certainly until quite recently, still "family owned"). Obviously one of their more entry level bikes, but at that price I don't think that you could go wrong.

Size? I'd GUESS a 15" but I suppose 17" would allow for growth! At just over 5' 9" and with 33" leg I'd ride either a 17" or 19" according to overall measurements.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Re: Jamis Trail X2 @ CRC - Good Value? What size?
« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2011, 11:48:28 am »
Took him to LBS yesterday, not much choice in smaller sizes but he rode a 17" Marin very comfortably.   Very similar spec (except slightly longer travel front sus) - reduced to £299 so that Jamis looks excellent value.

The bad news... his younger brother came with us, decided he wants a new bike for his birthday which is even sooner.

I have therefore ordered 15.5" Jamis for the littl'un - might be a touch big at first, but he's growing fast and it does mean his brother can inspect it "in the flesh" and approve it before we have to buy a second one.