Author Topic: Trikes on trains  (Read 11165 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Trikes on trains
« Reply #25 on: 08 March, 2012, 03:29:47 pm »
I use This if I want to bag my trike.

Thanks for that - exactly the sort of info I was after.   :thumbsup:

That bag arrived this morning, and I've had a brief play.  Barakta's trike will go into the bag easily by just folding the back over, leaving plenty of room for the seat (and anything else you feel like stuffing in there), so that's a win.

It's a monstrous piece of luggage, though.  Reasonably stable, with the trike lying on one wheel, but not exactly easy to lift (barakta wouldn't be able to without injury, I don't think), and falls foul of the Conditions of Carriage 90x70x30 rule by a fair margin.  I can see actually getting it on and off a train being a bit interesting, too.

More enthusiastic dismantlement would probably get it down to size, at cost of faff and stability.

« Reply #26 on: 08 March, 2012, 07:08:42 pm »
any pictures kim ? :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #27 on: 08 March, 2012, 07:26:39 pm »
When I bag the new trike, I take the seat off and fold the trike.
The main part goes in the bag and the seat stay out to be carried by hand.
Because the sidepods are attached to the seat and with all the junk in the side pods, the weight of the seat is significant.
So its easier for me to carry them in two parts, rarther than put everything in the bag and try and shift it like that.

I did take the old trike, in its bag, both on the London underground and in the back of a taxi.
I think the new trike may be easier due to less weight in the bag.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 08 March, 2012, 08:51:06 pm »
We had a brief play and concluded that it was a reasonably sane two-person lift, if barakta grabs the chainring guard through the fabric to give her something solid to hold on to.  I could load it on and off a train myself, if need be, but wouldn't be thrilled at the prospect of dragging it down a platform.

Wheel, quick fold, and stick it in the bag on the platform tactics would seem to be the order of the day.  Especially once non-trivial luggage and whatever I'm riding get added to the mix.

I'll take some photos tomorrow.

« Reply #29 on: 30 March, 2012, 07:01:31 pm »
Well - the Gekko and trains works.

I have just spent a week cycling from Chepstow to Fishguard ... and a couple of sightseeing trips

Train from Fareham to Chepstow
Train from Carmarthen to Port Talbot
Train from Port Talbot to Cardiff
Train from Cardiff to Fareham

Not the slightest problem, in fact after the first trip I didn't even put the cover on