Author Topic: Mobile phone driver  (Read 10309 times)

Re: Mobile phone driver
« Reply #25 on: 02 May, 2008, 08:41:26 am »
I eventually got tired of Ellisfield on the first left hook video and blocked him though.  His was one of the better quality debates, but still easy to flatten.  :)
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #26 on: 02 May, 2008, 08:45:05 am »
I see so many drivers on the phone, in particular van and small truck drivers, it is unbelievable.

Even with 165,000 caught and prosecuted in 2006 (England and Wales only,) it doesn't seem to make much difference to their mindset.

This is the point. It seems people do not think twice about doing it! Last night I had some urban riding and then a stretch in the country: I saw several of these guys on the phone on both roads. In the country, on narrow lanes, things are possibly even worse.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #27 on: 02 May, 2008, 08:51:11 am »
This is why I film company drivers on the phone and report them if I happen to see an easy one, as well as putting them on youtube.  I seem to recall something on the BBC which said the thing most likely to stop someone being on the phone are negative comments from other road users said to their face, or something along those lines.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #28 on: 02 May, 2008, 10:36:41 pm »
Behind one another phoning driver who overtook me well but then struggled to make the right turn on the round about (I thought he was going to stall as he was trying to ster, phone and change gear). In town. Broad day light. Unbelievable. The punishment does not seem tough enough.

Dave

« Reply #29 on: 02 May, 2008, 10:42:16 pm »
The punishment does not seem tough enough.

I'm not sure about that. I think it's more that the risk of getting caught isn't high enough (see RLJers for another example). People perhaps don't feel it's a serious enough 'crime' to self-regulate their behaviour and 165 000 people caught and prosecuted gives a very low risk.

« Reply #30 on: 02 May, 2008, 10:45:14 pm »
The punishment does not seem tough enough.

I'm not sure about that. I think it's more that the risk of getting caught isn't high enough (see RLJers for another example). People perhaps don't feel it's a serious enough 'crime' to self-regulate their behaviour and 165 000 people caught and prosecuted gives a very low risk.

You are right. I agree.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #31 on: 03 May, 2008, 12:27:01 am »
I see so many drivers on the phone, in particular van and small truck drivers, it is unbelievable.

Even with 165,000 caught and prosecuted in 2006 (England and Wales only,) it doesn't seem to make much difference to their mindset.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7375432.stm
Gordon, that was the point of my reference to the Wail article. The headline was "milking motorists", and the comment about drivers "trapped by the police" summed it up.
There is an underlying assumption that motring offences aren't "real", at least not unless they involve some Johnny Foreigner/chav/hoody. All the old arguments are rehearsed, including the variations on the "Max Power" survey that showed that 80% of drivers are of above average ability.
We need a sea change, similar to that of attitudes to drink driving, but even there that knob Cl*rkson is making excuses as to why it is often "necessary"
It is said that the best dterrent against crime is the certainty of detection (which is why they bleat about safety cameras), but being caught is itself no deterrent unless there is a significant penalty associated with it.
All blindingly obvious.

« Reply #32 on: 03 May, 2008, 06:20:04 pm »
Coming off the Gosport Ferry last night therw were a couple of PCSOs on bikes booking cyclists for cyling on the concourse (fair - this is a busy pedestrian area with kids at this time of night).

Along comes a prat in a big 4x4 pickup, on his phone...

"Officer, can you do anything about this prat on his mobile?"

4x4 then drives on to pavement and parks, blocking pavement and cycle lane...

"Now THAT I can do something about" sys PCSO and proceeds to offending vehicle, starts writing out ticket for parking and has a word about the mobile!

Nice one!