Author Topic: Whinging rail commuters  (Read 14712 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Whinging rail commuters
« Reply #50 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:15:44 pm »
Guards vans would slow the loading and unloading of passengers significantly. I can't see them being introduced, unless they also have seats for the cyclists.

Why do you say that?  I use guards vans on trains regularly (e.g. on the 'one' services in East Anglia) and it doesn't seem to have any great impact on the time spent at stops.  I just make sure I sit in (or make my way to in plenty of time for my stop) the carriage next to the guard's van.

If you are the only bike user on the train, that's good.

If, however, the rest of the cyclists on the train are from the same family as the old ditherer at the supermarket till whose brains cogs you can hear clicking and whirring "Oh! I need to pay?" when told the total, then there's a few minutes added at each stop. 10 stops - half an hour extra.

The guards vans on the 125s are the opposite end from where I sit.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #51 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:18:04 pm »
Guards vans would slow the loading and unloading of passengers significantly. I can't see them being introduced, unless they also have seats for the cyclists.

Why do you say that?  I use guards vans on trains regularly (e.g. on the 'one' services in East Anglia) and it doesn't seem to have any great impact on the time spent at stops.  I just make sure I sit in (or make my way to in plenty of time for my stop) the carriage next to the guard's van.

If, however, the rest of the cyclists on the train are from the same family as the old ditherer at the supermarket till whose brains cogs you can hear clicking and whirring "Oh! I need to pay?" when told the total, then there's a few minutes added at each stop. 10 stops - half an hour extra.

Sit at the right end then....  ::-)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #52 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:35:14 pm »
I'm sure that if the train companies were willing (i.e. there was enough profit to be made from it) they could provide a modern carriage that would accommodate all manner of cycles and cyclists, where they could quickly roll on and off without disrupting the rest of the train. But it ain't going to happen is it? The government (including local government such as the London Assembly) talks about mixed-mode transport as a way forward, but as usual they're talking bollocks, really they just want to keep their pals in the private sector happy.
They manage this AND good, dry, secure parking in The Netherlands.  Unfolded regular bikes are regularly seen on the double-decker trains and many folders to.  Zillions of bikes to be found at the stations.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #53 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:41:17 pm »

They used to work OK when I was commuting by rail.  Since it was impossible to get a seat, I always stood in the guards van as there was more standing room in there :)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #54 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:42:13 pm »
They manage this AND good, dry, secure parking in The Netherlands.  Unfolded regular bikes are regularly seen on the double-decker trains and many folders to.  Zillions of bikes to be found at the stations.
I had this pleasure when I took my Brompton with me when visiting a friend in Amsterdam a few years ago.

Pete

« Reply #55 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:49:06 pm »
IIRC, in the good ol' days of slam-door stock on the Southern Region (class 421?), you could load the bike straight into the integral guard's van (Mr Nice Friendly Guard as often as not offering a helping hand), step in through the same door yourself, then walk along the corridor to the nearest passenger section.  No holding up the train.  No problems.  No frantic scurrying up and down the platform looking for the proper 'bike' section (as happens nowadays).  Indeed it was easy to tell, as the train was coming in, exactly where the guard's van would be, seeing as the guard was clearly visible leaning out of his open doorway...

Ahhhh!  The good ol' days!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #56 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:52:31 pm »

Jaded is aluding to the fact that the guard's van on a 125 is at the end of the Standard Class bit of the train, furthest from the First Class seating.  I too patronise the posh end of the train, but it can be a bit of a trek to get to one's bike.  P'haps if we could have First or Standard class bike reservable spaces...?  First Class bike reservation gets a service, tyres pumped, minor fettlage, and bike loaded and unloaded by uniformed lackeys.  More use than free coffee.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Chris S

« Reply #57 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:55:04 pm »
Ahhhh!  The good ol' days!

Yes, it's astonishing how much worse the railways have got. Shame really - one of our better inventions I thought. It all started going wrong with that Beeching bloke  >:(.

« Reply #58 on: 07 May, 2008, 02:57:44 pm »
P'haps if we could have First or Standard class bike reservable spaces...?  First Class bike reservation gets a service, tyres pumped, minor fettlage, and bike loaded and unloaded by uniformed lackeys. More use than free coffee.

That's not coffee, that's the free chain degreaser.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #59 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:02:32 pm »
P'haps if we could have First or Standard class bike reservable spaces...?  First Class bike reservation gets a service, tyres pumped, minor fettlage, and bike loaded and unloaded by uniformed lackeys. More use than free coffee.

That's not coffee, that's the free chain degreaser.
Going to need a bigger cup...
(After I put a windcheetah, with 11 feet of chain, on board.)
But that would explain not only the taste of the 'coffee' :sick: but also the colour and squeakiness of my chain.  I must have spilt some coffee on, and not lubed up again afterwards.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #60 on: 07 May, 2008, 03:10:55 pm »

Jaded is aluding to the fact that the guard's van on a 125 is at the end of the Standard Class bit of the train, furthest from the First Class seating.  I too patronise the posh end of the train, but it can be a bit of a trek to get to one's bike.  P'haps if we could have First or Standard class bike reservable spaces...?  First Class bike reservation gets a service, tyres pumped, minor fettlage, and bike loaded and unloaded by uniformed lackeys.  More use than free coffee.

That sounds good to me!
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #61 on: 07 May, 2008, 08:52:22 pm »

Why do you say that?  I use guards vans on trains regularly (e.g. on the 'one' services in East Anglia) and it doesn't seem to have any great impact on the time spent at stops. I just make sure I sit in (or make my way to in plenty of time for my stop) the carriage next to the guard's van.

The guards vans on the 125s are the opposite end from where I sit.   :thumbsup:

That will be First Class...