Author Topic: A previously unknown hazard...  (Read 6071 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
A previously unknown hazard...
« on: 08 May, 2008, 05:51:23 pm »
Pedestrians standing on the kerb flinging their arms out (the same arm which has the hand holding the cup of coffee) to hail a taxi without checking to see that they're not about to hit a cyclist in the face.

Luckily, I ducked.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Re: A previously unknown hazard...
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:54:58 pm »
That's one of the many reasons I rarely ever cycle that close to the side of the road when there are lemmings about.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:57:13 pm »
I didn't think I was that close. Perhaps he had freakishly long arms.

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2008, 05:58:03 pm »

Genetic mutations. Lemmings with very long arms. We're doomed.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2008, 07:27:41 pm »

Genetic mutations. Lemmings with very long arms. We're doomed.

I thought scots had short arms and deep pockets so it must have been a tourist.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2008, 07:31:40 pm »
He did look English, now you come to mention it. And that would explain the obliviousness to other people...  :P

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2008, 07:38:21 pm »

Surely he was holding out a cup of early morning refreshment and you were going to fast ;D

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:04:07 pm »
reminds me of the taxi-hailing ped who walked out in front of me- only she was carrying a cello, not coffee. Much harder, (though not so hot!) and the d*mn case broke me ribs. I now give potential lemmings the w - i - d - e - s - t berth imaginable!

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:12:31 pm »
He did look English, now you come to mention it. And that would explain the obliviousness to other people...  :P

Oi!  >:(

« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:22:54 pm »
The Welsh are just as bad. I remember descnding a mountain at arounnd 40 mph and spying two chatting Welshman on the pavement.
I gave a wide berth, and as I passed them, one of them stepped out into the road, flailing his arms mid-speech. Had I not moved over, I would have hit him.there would have been no time for me to react.
I almost always give pedestrians on the pavement a wide berth. There has been more than one occasion when it has saved me from an accident.

« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:33:22 pm »
I try to give them a wide berth, but often you find yourself in a situation where you have to give room to either pedestrians or cars, and with me generally the cars win, since the pedestrian is likely to be softer to land on. ;D

It is amazing how often people step out into the road with absolutely no effort to look around, I guess they assume if they cant hear it, they don't need to worry about it. >:( :-\

I was thinking yesterday that on several occasions, the only reason they've stopped at the last moment was because they saw my fairly bright front light in their peripheral vision, that and I was already trying to give them a wide berth.

If they are already wandering across the road, oblivious to all around them, it's often a hard decision whether to go around them on the inside or outside.  If they don't see you, often between them and the kerb that they've just vacated is the best option, but if they notice you at the last minute and stop, or worse step back, disaster looms.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:47:28 pm »
Oi!

(waits for snog ....)
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #13 on: 08 May, 2008, 08:51:19 pm »
Oi!

(waits for snog ....)

OK then, you asked for it.
 :-*

(runs away rubbing mouth and screaming, "yeeuck!")

« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2008, 09:32:47 pm »
Just wait for all those new near-sillent hybrid cars (such as the Prius) to take them out. Darwin in action.

« Reply #15 on: 09 May, 2008, 08:29:34 am »
Hi Five!!!!!!

And or airzound, LOL!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Pete

« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2008, 08:34:59 am »
Just wait for all those new near-sillent hybrid cars (such as the Prius) to take them out. Darwin in action.
Are Priuses ("Prii"?) near-silent?  I suppose I've never been near enough one to find out.  There used to be a problem with trolleybuses, though, back in 'the good old days'.  Which is why some continental fleets have been fitted with specific noise-making devices...

« Reply #17 on: 09 May, 2008, 08:38:28 am »
Certainly the little electric cars you see around London quite often (I forget the name, it's an Indian company), aren't all that quiet.  I assume it's gearing and/or tyre noise, but they don't seem a lot quieter than you average ic powered hatchback.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #18 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:35:53 am »
Are Priuses ("Prii"?) near-silent?  I suppose I've never been near enough one to find out.  There used to be a problem with trolleybuses, though, back in 'the good old days'.  Which is why some continental fleets have been fitted with specific noise-making devices...

Depends on what they're doing. Accelerating hard they'll make just as much noise as most other cars would, but coasting along they can often be running on the electric motor with the petrol engine idling which is near enough silent and easily masked by other noises in cities.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:55:28 am »
You need to watch out for the Pavement Lemmings with umbrellas the size of Jodrell Bank an' all >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #20 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:58:48 am »
The G-wiz is very quiet in action.

You need one of these:
http://www.xxcycle.com/copter-461,,en.php
or these:
http://www.xxcycle.com/vroum-460,,en.php

My kids have the copters, now I want a Vroum for my fixed!

« Reply #21 on: 09 May, 2008, 11:02:18 am »

At car park speeds they are silent bar the rumble of tyres on tarmac as they run entirely on electric. My friend has one and its quite spooky when it pulls away silently. She often has near misses with pedestrians in supermarket car parks. Once the petrol engine kicks in they sound like any other modern car.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #22 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:05:01 pm »
You need to watch out for the Pavement Lemmings with umbrellas the size of Jodrell Bank an' all >:(

I'm surprised that you'd be troubled by umberellas down there on the dark side.
Or do you live in an area densley populated by midgets?
Perhaps we could arrange for Ozzy Osbourne to pay a visit to your locale?

« Reply #23 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:49:44 pm »
I was hailing a bus one time when an oik on a bmx came from behind me, on the pavement and knocked the change flying out of my outstretched hand! I had the exact fare all ready but couldn't recover it before the bus pulled in to the stop, I didn't have enough change left to cobble together another fare, so I couldn't get that bus - I can't describe how aggro I felt right then... >:(

« Reply #24 on: 09 May, 2008, 10:55:29 pm »
I think those G-Whiz cars make a sound like a milk float (loads where I work in central London). Electric whirring sound, quieter than a normal car. I hear them come whirring up behind me pretty easily on the commute, if the road is quiet.