Author Topic: Cyclists and stretch limos  (Read 6693 times)

Pete

Cyclists and stretch limos
« on: 14 May, 2008, 09:39:41 pm »
I must confess I don't like the things.

It so happens I was driving across London some distance, last weekend, and cycling across London the weekend before.  Passed a surprising number of these monsters, driven with varying levels of skill (I assume they're all chauffeur-driven).

I suppose there must be a lucrative business here.  Last time I was in any sort of limo was at my mother's funeral, but it certainly wasn't a stretch limo.

My main gripe is, seen from behind, they look rather like an ordinary car, you don't appreciate their length till you draw alongside.  There's a clear and present hazard here.  At least with a bus or lorry, it's obvious!  I think they should carry a LONG VEHICLE sticker, with the usual red and yellow stripes, on the rear.  Or would that make them so un-cool that no-one would want to be seen in them, hence ruin the trade?  :demon:

Re: Cyclists and stretch limos
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2008, 09:54:26 pm »
Eh? I can't see how you can fail to see how long they are from behind (and I'm not exactly tall) or the minute you pull to one side of them.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2008, 09:56:34 pm »

I think they should carry a LONG VEHICLE sticker, with the usual red and yellow stripes, on the rear. 

Trouble is, compared to buses and small lorries they probably aren't that long at all. Can't really comment on the standard of driving as I hardly ever see them where I live.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2008, 09:58:07 pm »
I seem to remember that there was some "official" statement a few months ago which referred to the strong links beween the stretch limo business and organised crime.

I think they are amongst the worst vehicles on the road: all ostentation and of no value whatsoever.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:58:37 am »
I must hunt out that photo of me in Los Angeles as I climbed out of "The Intimidator".

(We leant out of the window and laughed at those folk who'd hired the tiny stretched Hummers)

« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:34:48 am »
I saw one of those Intimidators in Edinburgh a year or so ago. I only know it was an Intimidator because it was written right down the side about 4 foot high. Gastly thing. Haven't seen it since.

There's a few stretch Hummers around here though, as well as loads of Lincolns and Jeeps. I think most of them were shipped over here for the MTV Europe music awards a few years ago as there seemed to be very few before. It was obviously too expensive to send them back.

I don't mind them too much as they're mostly driven fairly slowly, giving the inevitable schemy drunk teenage female passengers the chance to hang out the windows to scream and shout at passers-by and generally pretend they're famous. In fact, the occupants pose more of a hazard than the limos themselves.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2008, 08:00:26 am »
Normally they betray their identity from the yelling oiks standing out of the sunroof and/or the boob prints on the rear windows.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 15 May, 2008, 08:36:15 am »
One of the reasons that they are becoming more popular is thatthey have tightened up in the States, and shipping the failures across here!

We don't yet have any adequate regulation of the vehicles or operators of these vehicles............ Many are intrinsically unsafe.

« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2008, 08:49:41 am »
Well, aside from the fact that they are usually f'ugly things my limo spotting guide consists of:

1:  Colour        Usually, Pink  :sick:, silver, white or black.
2:  Type          Large yank 'sedan' style (from rear) or hummer.
3:  Windows    Can you see in?  If not, beware.
4:  Location     I have yet to encounter one in a rural setting.

Pass with care - they get more chances to door you than seems reasonable to me!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2008, 08:55:28 am »
Actualy they are fairly well regulated here, at least as well as a minicab. It depends on your Local Authority. Maybe that is why there aren't so many in Dundee..

They can only put 'long vehicle' signs on if the vehicle is over a certain length.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #10 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:57:45 am »
Wasn't there a scandal recently about how limo hire places are often fronts for organised crime?

Found it.

Ever since reading that I've given them a wide berth, on the basis that if the driver is an unregulated gangsta, he probably won't mind bagging a cyclist or two.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:05:33 am »
Wasn't there a scandal recently about how limo hire places are often fronts for organised crime?

Found it.

Ever since reading that I've given them a wide berth, on the basis that if the driver is an unregulated gangsta, he probably won't mind bagging a cyclist or two.

Ahem.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:15:05 am »
(We leant out of the window and laughed at those folk who'd hired the tiny stretched Hummers)
Stretched? Well okay, yep, but tiny? Hummers?  :o

As for the occupants, while teenage girls is what I would have expected, my sister tells me that in her part of the world (Bristol), a stretch limo is the cool thing to have for your 7th brithday. 
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:20:59 am »
A stretch pink hummer, no less. ::-)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

iakobski

« Reply #14 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:37:53 am »
The one that hit me was slightly over ten metres long, according to evidence in court. You need no training or special licence to drive one.

The main problem is the design - or lack of. Because they are a short vehicle which has been lengthened the wheels are in the wrong place. So they do not manoeuver like a bus or lorry: when they turn, the back swings across far more than a normal long vehicle.

Add to that the fact the driver has probably never had any training in driving a long vehicle, my advice is to keep well clear.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:02:19 pm »
Luckily they're mostly out at night servicing the party crod, so there are fewer of us on the roads when the buffoons take to the road.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #16 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:13:16 pm »
Stretched? Well okay, yep, but tiny? Hummers?  :o

In relation to what we were in, yes it was tiny  ;D

Pete

« Reply #17 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:20:24 pm »
As it happens, a colleague has just been telling me about a mate of his who drives the wretched things for a living (well, someone's got to do it!).

Apparently his main 'clients' are of a certain 'profession'.  There is a screen (like in some taxis) to shield stuff from the driver's view (at least, I hope it does, otherwise I'd be even more worried!).  Apparently some punters, especially the celebs and those with suspicious wife/gf, feel more secure and safer from prying cameras or hoods in a moving limo than they do in hotel rooms.

At least, that's what I've just been told.  You learn something ...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:24:37 pm »
I have read that most limo companies will not permit entry to women wearing stilettos as, apparently, they cause too much damage...

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #19 on: 15 May, 2008, 12:25:42 pm »
A stretch pink hummer, no less. ::-)

That conjures up a really sick image ...  :o

« Reply #20 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:01:16 pm »
I have read that most limo companies will not permit entry to women wearing stilettos as, apparently, they cause too much damage...

(click to show/hide)

Reminds me of a chap at work trying to sell his car.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #21 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:00:24 pm »
Luckily they're mostly out at night servicing the party crod, so there are fewer of us on the roads when the buffoons take to the road.

From the later posts I wonder whether you meant servicing or Servicing the party crowd?

« Reply #22 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:02:40 pm »
As another thought.....

How often do they clean the seats?

Mind you the thought of a group of Chavs paying through the nose to hire a part-time brothel and then thinking it has "Class" does bring a smile to my face!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 17 May, 2008, 12:15:25 pm »
In the US, or at least in California, I understand you do need a special licence to drive a stretch limo. I think it's decided by passenger seating though, rather than length.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #24 on: 17 May, 2008, 03:07:08 pm »
In the US, or at least in California, I understand you do need a special licence to drive a stretch limo. I think it's decided by passenger seating though, rather than length.

The same here. IIRC there is a passenger limit of 8 (or the number of seats whichever is smaller) for a normal minicab license.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes