Author Topic: The Devilishly Elegant ACP Super Randonnee 600  (Read 8285 times)

The Devilishly Elegant ACP Super Randonnee 600
« on: 02 November, 2019, 11:58:04 am »
2 years in the making and it is here ready for the New Year. Get your teeth stuck into this!

The Devilishly Elegant ACP Super Randonneé 600 is ready to go. 12,750m of (AUK calibrated) climbing. 60hrs at Randonneur pace, 192 at Touriste. No distance points, no AAA points, just because; oh and the top ACP Randonneé 10k award if completed at 60hrs or less. #wills_hills

Randonneur: Web page with interactive map & photos
Tourist: Web page with interactive map & photos

S2L

Re: The Devilishly Elegant ACP Super Randonnee 600
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2019, 12:35:30 pm »
Seemingly, from Ruthin it goes up the main road rather than taking up Bwlch Penbarras... an oversight?

« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2019, 01:13:31 pm »
It comes down Bwlch Pen Barras

S2L

« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2019, 01:59:04 pm »
OK, so the picture above is the wrong way round and the loop goes anticlockwise instead?

« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2019, 04:33:35 pm »
Yes anti. Picture is looking what you go down, East to West

S2L

« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2019, 04:46:45 pm »
... and easy way up Bwlch-Y-Groes...  ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 02 November, 2019, 04:57:56 pm »
Yeah, well I'm getting bored of the hard way <yawn>. Actually that descent towards Bala is really nice (hopefully it will be in daylight - I haven't planned that far).

Quite excited by this. I really like the SR idea, as 60hours fits around darkness quite nicely. [I just wish ACP had come up with a better name - "SR" is quite confusing in Audax circles  :facepalm:] Actually the 72h option is nice too - still a tough 3 days, but with 3 proper nights' sleep!
Colin's welsh route looks really nice too, but Tintern is a more convenient start for me.

(I'm even more excited by doing the Pyreneean one, but I can do THIS one with just one day's annual leave, and a lot cheaper!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

S2L

« Reply #7 on: 02 November, 2019, 05:23:36 pm »
If there are no points and no AAA points in either, I don't see the point of doing the 60 h over the 72... clearly the latter is the full value version, where one can enjoy without worrying too much about time

« Reply #8 on: 02 November, 2019, 05:49:48 pm »
I’m a little surprised there are no AAA points. I know it’s a slightly different format to normal rides but you can get them on BPs, so why not on SRs?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 02 November, 2019, 05:52:55 pm »
I’m a little surprised there are no AAA points. I know it’s a slightly different format to normal rides but you can get them on BPs, so why not on SRs?

Because the AUK rules have yet to recognise an ACP SR ride in any way shape or form. It's an event purely recognised by ACP.

To do otherwise would require the AUK rules to be updated.

In other news, there's an AGM coming up...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #10 on: 02 November, 2019, 06:15:36 pm »
It goes deeper than that. For an SR600 to be validated by ACP it can't count towards any other award. Its sole purpose is as a requirement of the ACP Randonneur 10,000 award; and the hills!

AUK perms enquiry under way for the AAA/fixed wheel points chasers  8)

S2L

« Reply #11 on: 02 November, 2019, 08:08:53 pm »
AUK must recognise them since you can sign up from the AUK platform and take advantage of AUK third party insurance

« Reply #12 on: 02 November, 2019, 11:25:29 pm »

Because the AUK rules have yet to recognise an ACP SR ride in any way shape or form. It's an event purely recognised by ACP.

Apart from being in the Regs at 7.3.1.i, of course.

To do otherwise would require the AUK rules to be updated.

In other news, there's an AGM coming up...

There's also a Reunion, a bit sooner than the AGM, and a good opportunity to present suggestions for reform or updates or change, and to seek feedback on them, rather than simply putting forward a fully formed motion for the AGM.

I don't think I'd be giving away any secrets if I said that the Board is conscious of the complexity of the current Regs, and of the fact there are unclarities, inconsistencies, contradictions within them: we currently intend to present a proposed restructure/tidying up at the Reunion, with a view to seeking feedback there and on the AUK forum, before putting a new version to the AGM.

(This is meant to be a change to the look and structure of the Regs, in order to make them easier to follow. Any other changes are supposed to remove inconsistencies or contradictions rather than being substantive. But you'll be able to judge for yourself in a week or two.)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #13 on: 03 November, 2019, 04:56:48 pm »
Yeah, well I'm getting bored of the hard way <yawn>. Actually that descent towards Bala is really nice (hopefully it will be in daylight - I haven't planned that far).

Quite excited by this. I really like the SR idea, as 60hours fits around darkness quite nicely. [I just wish ACP had come up with a better name - "SR" is quite confusing in Audax circles  :facepalm:] Actually the 72h option is nice too - still a tough 3 days, but with 3 proper nights' sleep!
Colin's welsh route looks really nice too, but Tintern is a more convenient start for me.

(I'm even more excited by doing the Pyreneean one, but I can do THIS one with just one day's annual leave, and a lot cheaper!)
Similar thoughts. Although I was looking at haute provence or the dolomites

Eddington  127miles, 170km

dat

« Reply #14 on: 03 November, 2019, 06:43:13 pm »
This is 6x Dartmoor devil's back to back, great idea. Ever going to be a calendar event?

« Reply #15 on: 03 November, 2019, 09:09:54 pm »
This is 6x Dartmoor devil's back to back, great idea. Ever going to be a calendar event?

SRs are by definition only run as perms.

« Reply #16 on: 03 November, 2019, 09:48:02 pm »
There are no 'points' for SRs as the minimum speed is far too low: 10kph*. AAA points are another matter which I think those interested could pursue with eventual success. This has been briefly examined/debated in the Cambrian Series thread where CET's Cambrian 6C is the only current (till 2020) SR in UK.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=79290.msg2365641;topicseen#msg2365641
*Having tried a failed to complete 2 SRs now (Cambrian 6C and Alpes de Haute Provence), when a 600 is as hilly as an SR must be (10,000m+ climb), achieving that 60 hours is a significant challenge if riders want to have two half-decent nights' sleep. Maybe a go at Will's in 2020 will be third time (self-made) lucky.

« Reply #17 on: 04 November, 2019, 10:56:07 am »
If there are no points and no AAA points in either, I don't see the point of doing the 60 h over the 72... clearly the latter is the full value version, where one can enjoy without worrying too much about time

You need an ACP SR600 at Randonneur pace for the top ACP Randonneur 10,000 award.

« Reply #18 on: 04 November, 2019, 11:00:32 am »

Yes. The Devilishly Elegant will be a calendar next year on 30th May w/e. Some of the route is different but largely the same. The differences result in a lower 10.25AAA. The ACP SR600 perm will not be allowed to be undertaken on this w/e. Just need to iron a few things out before it goes up.

I test rode the calendar May 2018. It was beautiful. Found a lovely 3* bus shelter in Trawsfynydd, got woken at 3am by some drunk Welsh man prodding me to talk about the beautiful starry night, then was up at dawn. Turned down the 5* accommodation in Llanuwchylln as I wanted this rather than in the dark  8)

« Reply #19 on: 04 November, 2019, 11:13:22 am »
There are no 'points' for SRs as the minimum speed is far too low: 10kph*. AAA points are another matter which I think those interested could pursue with eventual success. This has been briefly examined/debated in the Cambrian Series thread where CET's Cambrian 6C is the only current (till 2020) SR in UK.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=79290.msg2365641;topicseen#msg2365641
*Having tried a failed to complete 2 SRs now (Cambrian 6C and Alpes de Haute Provence), when a 600 is as hilly as an SR must be (10,000m+ climb), achieving that 60 hours is a significant challenge if riders want to have two half-decent nights' sleep. Maybe a go at Will's in 2020 will be third time (self-made) lucky.

Colin offers a BR & BP perm for the point hunters, I'm looking into that too.

From what I've read, as mentioned above, is it isn't that AUK don't recognise the AAA from an ACP SR600 but that for the route/ride to be validated by ACP it must not count towards any other award. Ruling AAA points out when being undertaken as the ACP SR600.

« Reply #20 on: 04 November, 2019, 12:50:55 pm »
for the route/ride to be validated by ACP it must not count towards any other award. Ruling AAA points out when being undertaken as the ACP SR600.

That seems a little absurd. Anyone completing a ride that would qualify as an SR is hereby invited to claim 1 lmm point; have I just made every SR in the world invalid?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 04 November, 2019, 01:05:40 pm »
The exclusion derives from a history of rival French cycling organisations running similar but not identical events/ perms. Riding a route with multiple brevet cards from ‘competing’ organisations in your pocket was banned and remains so to this day. I tend to agree with that approach.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #22 on: 04 November, 2019, 01:26:34 pm »
Must a super randonee be completed solo? Or could a few people complete it together.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 04 November, 2019, 01:46:29 pm »
Must a super randonee be completed solo? Or could a few people complete it together.

I believe it's solo.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #24 on: 04 November, 2019, 05:21:32 pm »

I believe it's solo.

J

I think the ACP rules allow riders on an SR600 to ride as a group