Author Topic: Map of water sources  (Read 4694 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Map of water sources
« Reply #25 on: 04 July, 2019, 01:02:01 pm »

OSM begs to differ, Limoges has quite a few.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #26 on: 04 July, 2019, 05:36:44 pm »
Most (but not all) churches have a tap round the back for flowers.  Saved me from dehydration once.

We rather head for the graveyard, which is sometimes near the church, sometimes not! There is always a tap in graveyards, only problem is that the gates may be locked.

« Reply #27 on: 04 July, 2019, 11:50:48 pm »

OSM begs to differ, Limoges has quite a few.

J

I would not put too much trust in OSM for water sources judging by this map! I would need it on a much larger scale to really identify the spots (and since I am not expert at manipulating this sort of thing I am not going to try; I may ask for some lessons from Phil, it's her profession) but there is a big splodge on a road junction that is without any sort of structure apart from a roundabout and is also not accessible to cyclists (or tractors and herds of limousines). There is also the municipal rose nursery and a sport and culture complex next to a river (which is well off any useful route). I don't see any of the likely churches, graveyards or similar. There is also not the pump at Couzeix which features on another net water source directory and which is almost certainly unusable.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 05 July, 2019, 12:01:15 am »
I would not put too much trust in OSM for water sources judging by this map! I would need it on a much larger scale to really identify the spots (and since I am not expert at manipulating this sort of thing I am not going to try; I may ask for some lessons from Phil, it's her profession) but there is a big splodge on a road junction that is without any sort of structure apart from a roundabout and is also not accessible to cyclists (or tractors and herds of limousines). There is also the municipal rose nursery and a sport and culture complex next to a river (which is well off any useful route). I don't see any of the likely churches, graveyards or similar. There is also not the pump at Couzeix which features on another net water source directory and which is almost certainly unusable.

Yes, OSM, by it's very nature is only as good as it's data input, which is all the work of volunteers. I don't know if a water tap attached to a building would be added as a drinking water POI. So graveyards churches etc... May not be included.

Round these parts the issue I find is that waternet are installing taps faster than I can add them to OSM
 I added two in Amsterdam I found earlier this week. I thought I'd found them all, but these two were new.

As with anything, YMMV, don't rely on any one source, just cos it's on the map, doesn't mean it's working, possession of this map doesn't grant you right if way, your investment can go down as well as up...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 05 July, 2019, 12:23:46 am »
Do they do the ZapMap thing of having a discussion thread associated with each source?  That works around a lot of the "it's broken in $annoying_way[1]", "you need a $special_key" or "the gates are locked at weekends" type issues that never fit neatly into pre-defined GIS fields.

[1] Okay, there's a lot more to go wrong with an EV charging point than a water tap, but the principle applies.

« Reply #30 on: 06 July, 2019, 10:06:59 pm »
While out today and in desperate need of a bottle refill (the decision had already been made to stop at the hyper in the next town) I came across a really useful tap, by the side of the road, completely free access, over a drain grate so there was no surrounding bog and giving just enough on the automatic plunger tap to fill up a 800ml bottle. What's not to like????
This may well be a camping-car point, it was next to a parking place (more than a layby because there was a screen of shrubs between it and the road). I will have to check out a few more camping-car points, this wasn't signaled as such, to be certain, but if true then one of the most useful water source maps for tourists in France could well be the map of camping-car points (I can't believe it doesn't exist, just a question of finding it).

QG how do I go about adding such points to OSM, being a complete ignoramous in such matters? I am assuming that Googlemaps can give me a GPS reference for the point. Can I just send it to you/post it here and let you do my dirty work or do I have to muddy my brain with this "informatique" stuff? Or should this be a thread fork?

To complete the tale, with road temperatures close to 40° and having nearly finished my second bottle in 20kms I called out the recovery wife. I couldn't face the heat and crossing Limoges (which would have taken a certain while at 10km/h). In the 10 minute ride home 1l of fizzy mineral water went down. After a certain point in heat my body refuses to assimilate "ordinary" water (which then slops about in my tummy, most unpleasant!). The fizzy water came with the recovery team, needless to say. I took my cue from an ex-clubmate (a very experienced randonneur) who dehydrated and finished in hospital on a 1000km BRM the other week.   

Phil W

« Reply #31 on: 06 July, 2019, 10:34:44 pm »

Yes, OSM, by it's very nature is only as good as it's data input, which is all the work of volunteers. I don't know if a water tap attached to a building would be added as a drinking water POI. So graveyards churches etc... May not be included.

Round here the answer is yes. Today I was outing walking an off road half marathon course my wife will be running in two weeks.  She was making route notes as it will be unsigned and we were also looking for water sources as many streams are dried up the moment due to lack of much recent rain. We wandered round a church and eventually located a water tap as well as a water butt.  I marked their exact position on OSM when we got back. Of late I've marked about 8 drinking water sources round here. Some I've subsequently taken advantage of on overnight DIY audaxes where other options are not available.  OSM also has the ability to record  spring water sources. In fact most things can be recorded through the tag system.

Mzjo you need to register an account on open street map. Then login, locate the place on the mapping and click edit. Add a point and search for the item you want. Select it then fill in the available fields / tags. You need to be sufficiently zoomed in to edit. Then upload your changes with a comment on what the change is .  Tick the box for review of your edits the first few times till you know what you are doing.

Phil W

« Reply #32 on: 20 July, 2019, 04:05:40 pm »
and mapped another drinking water source today

« Reply #33 on: 09 November, 2019, 08:39:37 pm »
I still don't have an account with OSM but I have now found a resource for campingcar points for France: https://en.airecampingcar.com/

Click on the relevant region and follow the dropdowns for the department. This is only a listing by postal address. Some are obvious others not so, it depends on your geographical knowledge. However at 25 points per dept it is useful. It makes no claims to being complete, only as good as the owners (not users, I think) giving their details.

« Reply #34 on: 17 November, 2019, 09:23:19 pm »
I still don't have an account with OSM but I have now found a resource for campingcar points for France: https://en.airecampingcar.com/

Click on the relevant region and follow the dropdowns for the department. This is only a listing by postal address. Some are obvious others not so, it depends on your geographical knowledge. However at 25 points per dept it is useful. It makes no claims to being complete, only as good as the owners (not users, I think) giving their details.

On my route checking today I had a look at one site off this source. The water was there and available 24/24 - but it wasn't free! 2€ for 40l of water and 30 mins of electricity. It might do for an entire club! Other weakness, you need a qr hose coupling to get the water. Obviously some sites have to be at least self-supporting!