Author Topic: Didcot  (Read 166729 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Didcot
« Reply #100 on: 24 December, 2010, 08:04:59 pm »
I think it should be given to friendly Islamic terrorists everywhere.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #101 on: 24 December, 2010, 10:00:27 pm »
It's been pointed out that maybe the security measures aren't for keeping people *out*, but for keeping something far more horrible *in*...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #102 on: 27 December, 2010, 10:24:31 am »
Is there anything more horrible than a Daily Mail journalist?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #103 on: 27 December, 2010, 08:09:11 pm »
Why do we have a Surreal thread and a Didcot thread? Isn't one enough?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #104 on: 27 December, 2010, 08:16:40 pm »
Is there anything more horrible than a Daily Mail journalist?
In Didcot?

Probably....

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #105 on: 31 January, 2011, 12:17:52 pm »
Fans of The Daily Mail and coal-burning now have their own webcam:

Camera

Enjoy!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #106 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:00:25 pm »
Eh? It's just a still pic.
Yes, I was sad enough to click on that link.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #107 on: 31 January, 2011, 03:04:04 pm »
Eh? It's just a still pic.
Yes, I was sad enough to click on that link.
Ha - outed!

Not a still - it's just on a very slow refresh (let's see if he falls for that ...)

Life is at a slower pace in these parts.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #108 on: 11 March, 2011, 12:06:54 pm »
Didcot looks nice today, a bit dull and grey, but, well, you know.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #109 on: 30 March, 2011, 08:53:46 pm »
Didcot is dark just now.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #110 on: 30 March, 2011, 09:02:30 pm »
Looks best like that.
Getting there...

Simonb

« Reply #111 on: 10 May, 2011, 03:21:17 pm »
I'm in Didcot now.

Just off the A34.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #112 on: 10 May, 2011, 03:23:00 pm »
Have you driven past the webcam yet?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #113 on: 10 May, 2011, 03:34:45 pm »
I'll be passing it in about 1.5 hours.

Can't wait  :thumbsup:

Simonb

« Reply #114 on: 10 May, 2011, 04:22:10 pm »

There's a webcam?

deliquium

« Reply #115 on: 10 May, 2011, 04:51:19 pm »
I was born in Didcot. My dad still lives there in the same house. He played footie for Didcot Town and wore a hair net so his "waves" didn't get ruined when he headed the ball. He also had very very long shorts to hide his extreme bandiness. He scored lots of goals and had a trial for Arsenal. He worked on the railways - then drove a crane loading coal at the power station. I was the first person to wear a kaftan in Didcot. The park off Newlands Avenue is weird on acid, especially when the canning factory oozed strange smells at night. The Wallingford Arms sold warm bottles of Special Brew to us when we were 15. I could go on and on and on forever - but I'm mindful and considerate. The first shop on the south side of the Broadway (opposite the White Hart and the wool shop where my mam bought knitting patterns and left me outside in the pram without the brake on and I ended up at the bottom of the hill - Station Road - opposite the footie ground) was a bike shop - I can still smell it. Oh - I said I'd stop didn't I?

deliquium

« Reply #116 on: 10 May, 2011, 04:56:18 pm »
By the way - it's pronounced Didcut - or was until I escaped in 1972

« Reply #117 on: 10 May, 2011, 04:57:23 pm »

There's a webcam?

It's only available to people who posses the special ability that is reading about 10 posts back to where a link to it was posted.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #118 on: 10 May, 2011, 05:16:13 pm »
it is now receding into the distance. Next stop Swindon.

To think that with a bit of planning I could have gone to Basingstoke too.

Ah well.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #119 on: 10 May, 2011, 05:24:30 pm »
The Wallingford Arms sold warm bottles of Special Brew to us when we were 15.
Now that I can easily believe  ;D

Sadly I'm not aware of any trace of a White Hart - but I may have walked straight past it ...

I could go on and on and on forever - but I'm mindful and considerate.
Hell no - this thread is the natural outlet for your ramblings  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

deliquium

« Reply #120 on: 10 May, 2011, 06:38:11 pm »

Sadly I'm not aware of any trace of a White Hart - but I may have walked straight past it ...

I could go on and on and on forever - but I'm mindful and considerate.
Hell no - this thread is the natural outlet for your ramblings  :thumbsup:

The White Hart is now some sort of young 'uns ex pub with neon signs, called Broadway Heights, or Broadway Shites? In my day, it was never welcoming to us lot in our army surplus long heavy great coats and manky matted hair, so well portrayed by Nigel Planer in the Young Ones - and so like the "ponce" scene in Withnail and I, cos it was a drinking den for power station construction navvies - it's on the corner next to the old Post Office and Boots and across the road from the now Methodist Church Capital Headquarters wot used to be a churchyard where we pretended to be poets drinking cider and smoking spliffs lying on the gravestones, but mainly puking. Before that was the magic of having my first proper bike with derallieur gears and escaping to the surrounding villages - the Hagbournes, the Tirrolds, the Hanneys, the Wittenhams etc with folded fag packets clothes pegged to the the seat stays and flapping in our spokes pretending to be lorry drivers - it must have annoyed the hell out of all the myriad skylarks of olden days?

Simonb

« Reply #121 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:15:59 pm »
It's only available to people who posses the special ability that is reading about 10 posts back to where a link to it was posted.

A blessing indeed.

deliquium

« Reply #122 on: 11 May, 2011, 10:40:52 pm »
After my endless trainspotting days on Didcot station

I did see a non stopping express steam train go oddly through platform 3 on the up slow line, heading east to Paddington - it contained the Beatles - I saw Ringo's hand waving.

Then when Churchill died our Secondary Modern skool had to go and stand on platform 5 (normally just goods shunters and mail wagons) to watch a train masquerading as a silly hearse - jeez it was painfully slo mo - wanted to be playing cricket or riding/fettling me bike - stupid old fat c**t dead on a train!!!???

We used to race Job's Dairy's milk floats on our bikes - we always won and pissed the milkmen off no end

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #123 on: 22 May, 2011, 02:15:12 pm »
I went through Didcot on Friday.  It seemed the best thing to do.   ;D

In fact, I realised that it's probably been 20 years since I was last in Didcot, and the place doesn't seem to have changed too much.  Not as many closed up shops this time.  Also, it smelt a bit better, although this was probably due to the whiff of dope greeting your nostrils as we cycled under the railway bridge and past the group of youths hanging around in the park.

Also, on the train back home, when we stopped at Didcot, there was a steam engine puffing away on the other side.  So it's not all bad.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #124 on: 22 May, 2011, 06:39:44 pm »
On my old OS map it's "Dudcot".  Sounds like something a baby might fall through the bottom of.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.