Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 118139 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #425 on: 20 October, 2019, 07:52:49 pm »
A provisional yes, I’ll know for sure nearer the time.

:thumbsup: Maybe 4 of us on the Helpers' Ride then, BFC, OD, The Other Legendary Jane*, me.

* CC Sudbury Jane

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #426 on: 21 October, 2019, 11:32:55 am »

:thumbsup: Maybe 4 of us on the Helpers' Ride then, BFC, OD, The Other Legendary Jane*, me.

* CC Sudbury Jane

Possibly!  Fred is getting some upgrades so some tester rides might be useful.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #427 on: 21 October, 2019, 06:39:39 pm »
Before the SAE there is of course the Essex 3R's opportunity for volunteering to route check and sit in 'spoons most of the day on 2nd November.  This year there will be an exciting diversion around the Mundon Road closure.
Due to RL getting in the way, I will be planning to ride the 3R's on the 3rd November.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #428 on: 27 October, 2019, 10:09:50 am »
I'm now off to Aus on Friday for the following week, so will be DNS for the 3R's for the second year in a row.  Better excuse this time than last year though, when I was SMIDSY'd the monday before.

have fun chaps!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #429 on: 27 October, 2019, 12:14:22 pm »
Just submitted my ECE entry for the 3Rs.

Will there be a 9:30 start in addition to the 10:00 start?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #430 on: 27 October, 2019, 06:02:58 pm »

* CC Sudbury Jane

Oh burger. The Mighty Oak are having their free beer extravaganza on Saturday 7th December. I need to attend as we have the MiL coming for Christmas and I shall need to order copious amounts of beer by way of a coping strategy.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #431 on: 28 October, 2019, 02:20:04 pm »

* CC Sudbury Jane

Oh burger. The Mighty Oak are having their free beer extravaganza on Saturday 7th December. I need to attend as we have the MiL coming for Christmas and I shall need to order copious amounts of beer by way of a coping strategy.

Quite understandable, I suspect drinking is the only way she'll cope with seeing you all Christmas, poor Woman.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #432 on: 28 October, 2019, 03:54:00 pm »
Before the SAE there is of course the Essex 3R's opportunity for volunteering to route check and sit in 'spoons most of the day on 2nd November.  This year there will be an exciting diversion around the Mundon Road closure.
Due to RL getting in the way, I will be planning to ride the 3R's on the 3rd November.
Organiser's route check will now be Friday 1st November starting 10am-ish from 'spoons, quite probably after doing some QA on their breakfast menu.

Will there be a 9:30 start in addition to the 10:00 start?
Yes.  The current field will be 60+ riders so worth staggering the start.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #433 on: 29 October, 2019, 08:13:51 am »

So ... join the Helpers' Ride on 30th November? After setting everyone off on 7th Dec, I shall tootle down to Maldon myself for some Christmas beer ordering.  :thumbsup:

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #434 on: 29 October, 2019, 09:04:54 am »
I'm in for 3R's, assuming my leg feels better by Saturday.  ECEing it, naturally  O:-)

SAE is still a long way off, but the presumption would be that I'll ride that too  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #435 on: 29 October, 2019, 09:40:32 am »

So ... join the Helpers' Ride on 30th November? After setting everyone off on 7th Dec, I shall tootle down to Maldon myself for some Christmas beer ordering.  :thumbsup:

Yes, maybe.  November is starting to look a bit hectic so I will have to confirm nearer the time.

Martin

« Reply #436 on: 30 October, 2019, 11:19:39 am »
I'm up for the Stansted Airport Express. Looking at the return ECE is the parallel route to the A12 OK in the evening?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #437 on: 30 October, 2019, 11:41:30 am »
I'm up for the Stansted Airport Express. Looking at the return ECE is the parallel route to the A12 OK in the evening?
The cycle path along the A12 is fine, some places it diverts away to rejoin later such as through Kelvedon. There are a number of junctions to cross and fuel station forecourt entry/exits to be aware of but just apply normal care, don't usually need to stop rolling.
At least going north you'll have the prevailing drag from the traffic to help you along!

Martin

« Reply #438 on: 30 October, 2019, 11:48:38 am »
I was thinking more of the old road B1002 not the cyclepath.

Ingatestone station looks like a good place to start to make almost 100k back to Clapham Junction

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #439 on: 30 October, 2019, 12:03:21 pm »
We have used the B1002 lots of times outbound in the morning as an ECE route, but only once or twice inbound as we had a much nicer second leg going across to Harlow and picking up a London train from there. Watch out for Chelmsford, our avoidance route both ways was Galleywood, Great Baddow, Boreham having tried the return along the main road once at end of shopping time (never again)

Martin

« Reply #440 on: 30 October, 2019, 01:09:31 pm »
actually If I get up early enough I could train out to Goodmayes and do this both ways, any good?

https://goo.gl/maps/Kyyk9NdHHZxdJnpi6

« Reply #441 on: 30 October, 2019, 06:02:19 pm »
actually If I get up early enough I could train out to Goodmayes and do this both ways, any good?

https://goo.gl/maps/Kyyk9NdHHZxdJnpi6

The 17 min slower route looks a lot nicer than the direct route. However, I would suggest going to either Romford or Brentwood/Shenfield, and do a more circuitous route to the south east of your routes, and perhaps north of that route on the way back for variety. Assuming you’ll be using a mandatory route, that would give you options to ride on quieter roads, if that’s your preference.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #442 on: 31 October, 2019, 02:09:12 pm »
Is it just me, or is it looking windy for Saturday?  ::-)

Martin

« Reply #443 on: 31 October, 2019, 03:07:57 pm »
The cycle path along the A12 is fine, some places it diverts away to rejoin later such as through Kelvedon. There are a number of junctions to cross and fuel station forecourt entry/exits to be aware of but just apply normal care, don't usually need to stop rolling.
At least going north you'll have the prevailing drag from the traffic to help you along!

I can't see the cyclepath along the A12, which sections does it cover?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #444 on: 31 October, 2019, 03:56:54 pm »
From Hatfield Peverel to Witham. You need to turn right on a left hand bend into a no through road at the north end of the village, don't go over the A12, the cycle path is on the southeast side of the road. After a short distance, maybe a mile, you join a road and cross the A12 to go into Witham.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #445 on: 31 October, 2019, 06:43:17 pm »
There's 2 cycle paths on the A12 between HP and Witham, one on either side fyi. You can use either but my preference for HP to Witham is to use the path in the direction of the A12 towards Witham as it puts you straight into the Witham road when you come into Witham.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #446 on: 31 October, 2019, 07:40:55 pm »
I thought the path on the west side was a footpath? It's rough as guts anyway (at least it always used to be). I used it for several years when I worked in Witham. It wasn't until after I left that I found out there was a proper path on the other side 😛
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #447 on: 31 October, 2019, 08:28:25 pm »
The west side feels like the logical way to go but it's a bit of a mess, what with new housing going up etc. Looks like there ought to be an upgraded cyclepath into town once all is finished. Route optimisation this way is an option on the 3Rs final run-in to Witham from HP  ;) ...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #448 on: 31 October, 2019, 09:50:14 pm »
Route optimisation this way is an option on the 3Rs final run-in to Witham from HP  ;) ...
Shorter yes, but not as quiet and scenic  :P

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #449 on: 31 October, 2019, 10:05:52 pm »
Route optimisation this way is an option on the 3Rs final run-in to Witham from HP  ;) ...
Shorter yes, but not as quiet and scenic  :P

But explains how Tomsk arrived five minutes earlier than the rest of us last year, even though we'd passed him just before HP  ::-)