Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Where The Wild Things Are / Re: What is your pet doing right now?*
« Last post by Pingu on Yesterday at 10:56:37 pm »
Oi cat. You're an obligate carnivore. WTF are you doing eating mushrooms? And don't give me any of that umami BS.
Folders / Re: Schwalbe tyres for Airnimal
« Last post by ElyDave on Yesterday at 10:54:48 pm »
Why not? Mine has 28mm 26" gatorskins, I was happy enough on those for 75km today
Racing / Re: Worlds 2021
« Last post by drgannet on Yesterday at 10:31:17 pm »
Thanks, Karla.  And a good summation of my feelings about the women's race.  I didn't see it, I'm afraid but Marianne Vos's record of 2 wins and 7 seconds is sensational.  Suspect Italian resurgence won't stretch to the rugby - Scotland's South African could have got in the Saffas' team, I think, but not the motley imports in the Azzurri.

3 and 6 at elite level; 4 and 7 if you include junior level.
Audax / Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Last post by John Stonebridge on Yesterday at 10:28:32 pm »
A pleasant one way 200km to Stonehaven to end the season with 15 points (4 *200, 1 * 300, 1 * 400) a season interupted by illness injury and a wheen of domestic travails.   

I had no idea how long Id take even with a tailwind so left home bang on 6am with a train home booked at 1930. 

Played Forth Bridge cycle path roulette and lost.  I chose incorrectly and cycled down the u shaped ramp to join the west path.

The smell of sewerage told me I was in Fife - it cant be good to live near that - and it remained very cloudy until after Glenfarg when the sky opened and it really warmed up as I descended into the open terrain near Baiglie.  Mandatory shite and dangerous driving in and around Perth

I was slower than a slug in maple syrup uphill but weirdly was in no way hungry at my first possible breakfast #2 stop at Perth and instead pressed onto the lovely cafe in Meigle at 100km.  I pondered whether the effects of giving blood on Thursday were a factor, aside from my lack of fitness....I felt lacking in zip but in a way Ive never done before. 

I didnt need any devices for navigation merely recording and without a computer Id no idea how fast I was going - town clocks suggested I was just over 21kph moving speed. 

Stopped again at Montrose at 150km to take on more fluid and took stock for  the final bit. 

Once off the A road just after Marykirk I knew it was a laney finish and I just dawdled home in just over 10 hours. 

Some grub in the Station Hotel and home via train tram and a 3km ride. 

Enjoyable way to bookend the season.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/75923491

Food & Drink / Re: Where's the Ultimate Cake Thread?
« Last post by Ham on Yesterday at 10:10:23 pm »
Choo choo!

or is that chew chew?

Audax / Re: Advice needed - New Perm Validation by GPS Only
« Last post by Ajax Bay on Yesterday at 10:10:19 pm »
There’s no requirement for the controls to enforce AAA.
In that part of the world I doubt you can meaningfully avoid doing a similar amount of  climbing to the intended route.
Well until the OP shares the control sites, your doubts are without firm foundation.
Berrynarbor or the coast A road?
And Phil is likely right (depending on where the controls are): in which case this isn't an AAA issue, really.
I just brought that waxing a little bit nearer. It was a pleasure being his lead-out on Ditchling, and I know how hard that ride's going to be for him (been there, done that). Good luck all of you!
Racing / Re: Worlds 2021
« Last post by Peter on Yesterday at 10:01:02 pm »
Thanks, Karla.  And a good summation of my feelings about the women's race.  I didn't see it, I'm afraid but Marianne Vos's record of 2 wins and 7 seconds is sensational.  Suspect Italian resurgence won't stretch to the rugby - Scotland's South African could have got in the Saffas' team, I think, but not the motley imports in the Azzurri.
Cornwall and Devon are pretty hilly starts then it gets easier. Don’t dismiss working harder on the hills to start to maintain that average speed. Then settling into an easier effort on easier terrain as your LEJOG progressed.

Average doesn’t tell entire picture either. If it’s a case of not being able to hit higher HR later on. That’s one thing.  If you just managed effort levels more evenly later on. That’s another.  You can have the same average HR and entire different effort profiles throughout the ride.

Also higher blood volumes and haemoglobin will reduce HR vs. effort as the days go on. You see that happen in acclimatisation to high altitudes. Sure it happens with repeated high volumes of daily exercise as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10