Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by pumpkin on Yesterday at 10:38:37 am »
The real reason the frog-faced fascist doesn't got to church is the risk he'll spontaneously combust if he put a foot over the threshold...

...that - and he's a c*nt.

Like his idol Trump. Bit of Bible waving and invoking God to make us believe that they believe.
The Knowledge / tyre bead wear
« Last post by pumpkin on Yesterday at 10:35:26 am »
have a tube blow out this am and noticed the bead has worn as tho the pads were touching (rim brake) but they arent. However the rim is a bit wider and the tyres are 26 x 1.0 so my question is do I need a slightly wider (1.25/1.50) tyre on this rim? not an issue I've seen on the front but that is an older school mavic (17 or 19mm inner width)
Health & Fitness / Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Last post by mrcharly-YHT on Yesterday at 10:26:52 am »
Hmm.
I was on Omeprazole for years.

2 doses a day of slow release, it was expected to gradually build up. I found less than 24 hours before it was noticeably beneficial.

I suspect that your gastro expert was thinking of non-slow release omeprazole. the slow stuff is capsules filled with granules; these are coated and release gradually, so there is a sustained dosage throughout the day.
Audax / Re: Gospel Pass - 600km from stevenage
« Last post by Wycombewheeler on Yesterday at 10:20:01 am »
It’s not BRM this year and as a result you’ll get roughly an extra 50 mins time limit to finish, compared to last year.
I've always felt that the only time deadline that counts on a 600km ride is the first one after the sleep stop. (except on Brimstone when they all counted) Get to the first stop after sleeping in time (and having had a reasonable sleep) and everything after that is not a problem. Ride at 20km an hour, 4 hours are allowed to cover 60km, but it only takes 3,  stop for half an hour to eat - result 30 minutes gained every 60km

420km control - 15 minutes in hand
480km 45 minutes in hand
540km 75 minutes in hand
600km 105 minutes

Audax / Re: Hanze 6-9-6 Netherlands (1200 or 2100km)
« Last post by mattc on Yesterday at 10:19:38 am »
the pre-registration is continuing at a healthy rate, if you want to be sure of your spot on the starting grid, you have to act fast and fill in the pre-registration form on https://www.randonneurs.nl/hanze-6-9-6/
Apparently registering 6h before this message wasn't fast enough - Waiting List limbo for me!!!

The easier return along the coast to Aberdyfi and lack of second Kings ascent will get riders further along the route in about the same time as if returning over Trawsfynydd to Kings, so the extra challenge of Gospel Pass will be dampened; plus the elation from the extra views will offset the sting. But then again Gospel Pass is a bit like Cheddar Gorge; a couple of steep bits but the rest isn't too taxing.
I have the second Kings stop last year at 373km, and Aberdyfi on this years route at 381, so it's not much further along, but avoiding those climbs in the dark will be worth it.

I am looking forward to the gospel pass, because no matter how tough the climb the views are worth it, especially as it is always sunny in Wales. Is there a more scenic 600km in the calendar? Machynleth mountain road, Harlech beach, pen-y-pass and now the gospel pass too before Tintern Abbey.
Gallery / Re: Your bike workshop
« Last post by T42 on Yesterday at 09:42:56 am »
How do you keep the sawdust off the bike side?
Audax / Re: Bryan Chapman 600km BRM + others | 17/18/19th May 2024 | Chepstow
« Last post by aidan.f on Yesterday at 09:30:26 am »
On a non-cycling logistics matter I now (hopefully) have cheap convenient parking for duration of the event.

02:00hrs Saturday to 12:00hrs  Monday  just £12 ..I did wonder if it's was a scam, but have used the booking site before, all seems fine :-)

Basepoint Chepstow Beaufort Park, Riverside Court, Beaufort Park, Chepstow, NP16 5UH

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RrXVkMmWjCn28iVB6

Booking: www.yourparkingspace.co.uk
Health & Fitness / Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Last post by T42 on Yesterday at 09:29:39 am »
Up to heatherwood hospital in the morning to hopefully get the catheter removed. I will go for a ride whatever the weather if I  have a success  :)

Here's hoping.

---o0o---

Meanwhile, after following the gastropod's injunctions and switching my main reflux nostrum to half-an-hour before breakfast yesterday, I have just had the worst night of acid reflux I've ever had. Mind you, I did have a bacon* and melted Munster sandwich for "dinner", but I had one last week too with no great ill-effects.  So the dose that she called ineffective obviously wasn't.  Am now quandarized as to which path to follow and it's bloody Easter so the pros have all buggered off for the weekend. Can't blame them, the incessant procession of carping ancients must be really depressing.  They pull down good money but what they have to put up with to get it...  I'm glad my career was varied and fascinating.

* French "bacon" is not the hearty cholesterol-oozing deliciousness that the UK enjoys but an almost fat-free pork product.  It's edible if you're not expecting the stuff we used to get in Norn Iron, which probably helped to off my dad.
The Pub / Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Last post by chrisbainbridge on Yesterday at 09:07:36 am »
You've just found out what Twitch is and how unbelievably big it is.

And your immediate reaction is that you just don't care.
Was that in the context of the granny who started playing fortnite and now has thousands of followers?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-68635687
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]