Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3883204 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24900 on: 29 October, 2021, 08:48:26 pm »
Quick run to the vaccination centre in the wind and rain yesterday for booster jab to match the flu jab from weds.  Felt a bit down on 'go' today having been warned about potential flu like symptoms but managed 25 miles or so and felt much better for it so it must have been my imagination:) 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24901 on: 30 October, 2021, 03:26:14 pm »
I looked at the forecast for both weekend mornings and decided to HTFU and just go out and do the usual cafe ride.  Rain was torrential for about 15 minutes, drizzle for about half an hour, but the rest was dry and I was pretty much dried out by the time I got home.   The ancient Carradice saddlebag I darned, patched and reproofed (twice) stayed bone dry inside.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #24902 on: 31 October, 2021, 05:45:41 pm »
68k club ride this morning before the rain came on.
Only 2 of us turned up: the ride leader and myself!

Longest ride since surgery, and being mid way through a course of chemo I was struggling a bit towards the end.
Tired now.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24903 on: 31 October, 2021, 06:10:04 pm »
Hope the chemo works for you and the rides continue.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #24904 on: 31 October, 2021, 06:24:49 pm »

Longest ride since surgery, and being mid way through a course of chemo I was struggling a bit towards the end.
Tired now.

Missed all of this, probably through being a bit incapacitated through covid and so not reading the running thread.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #24905 on: 31 October, 2021, 07:32:36 pm »

Tired now.

Good to hear Ron & fingers crossed you'll be back firing on all cylinders before too long (mind you I'm aware of your definition of "struggling"  :P)

« Reply #24906 on: 31 October, 2021, 07:58:54 pm »
Being in France, presumably you collected the snail for lunch  :demon:

We don't normally collect snails with that sort of colour; ours are sort of browny grey, and you need a good few of them to get a plateful (normally sold prepared by the dozen but I prefer them prepared by my MiL who is périgourdine and so an expert on many culinary delicacies). They need to be a decent size. Perhaps they do things differently in Alsace!

I went out today to start testing the route options for our club 100k next year. The Garmin was playing up somewhat. After delaying the departure for a good half hour by insisting that I was in the middle of the Aegean (the wet bit) and going stroppy when asked to budge it also gave a highly optimistic distance and speed figure, to the extent that I don't know how far I actually went, and still refused to land on my real position when asked (had to arse about zooming out and in and playing silly buggers with the joystick). Very tedious! It gave me over 60 kms with an average over 30k which was way out, avg half that would be closer to correct! I will have to plot the course to know!

Still the map trace is correct and the distance is irrelevant since the route was a bit musclé and I really don't think I could send the club that way and live to tell the tale! Out for three hours with a certain quantity of non-mobile faffing. Perhaps the Garmin doesn't like being stuffed in a side pocket of the rackbag; it has been notably incorrect on the last three rides, all with the folder. I will have to pinch the bar mount off the Vitus since that one won't be going out before the spring.

edit: Did the plot today on Openrunner: distance real 33.8kms; distance Garmin 92.36kms. C'est beau, le technologie! It's a good thing lives don't depend on that sort of accuracy!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24907 on: 01 November, 2021, 08:07:08 am »
Being in France, presumably you collected the snail for lunch  :demon:

We don't normally collect snails with that sort of colour; ours are sort of browny grey, and you need a good few of them to get a plateful (normally sold prepared by the dozen but I prefer them prepared by my MiL who is périgourdine and so an expert on many culinary delicacies). They need to be a decent size. Perhaps they do things differently in Alsace!

Haven't eaten them for years.  The ones you buy in tins with a bag of shells attached are reputedly Far Eastern slugs or some such.  I wouldn't have eaten that one anyway: too tiny, phunny colour for eating and in any case probably long dead.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #24908 on: 05 November, 2021, 05:47:26 pm »
Managed out earlier for a 50km run round my standard "couple of hours" ride from West Edinburgh to Linlithgow and back. 

Quite sprightly, for me, for November.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/78100789

« Reply #24909 on: 05 November, 2021, 06:49:55 pm »
A very slow potter towards maidenhead. I was suffering from weak legs today and turned back on ncn61 jubilee River and back home not more than 12 miles  :)
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24910 on: 06 November, 2021, 02:05:21 pm »
Short coffee toddle with El Prez, first in a long time. 3°C & foggy. Just 43k but first time after Richter-8 gut-upset last weekend.  Felt good.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24911 on: 06 November, 2021, 03:48:48 pm »
I'm looking after my daughter and son in law's bikes for a while, so took one out for an extended bridleway spin to the shops. Double bounce, hydraulic discs, 1 x 11 drive train. All a bit new fangled but good fun. Didn't fall off,almost got tempted by the offer of CAIK at a village hall, did get muddy.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #24912 on: 07 November, 2021, 08:34:49 pm »
Small group ride to a farm cafe of Scald End in Beds of circa 30 miles. Serious and cold headwind going out but flew on the way back in brilliant sunshine. Food in cafe very good but prices have increased significantly following lockdown.

ps. At the start of the ride we came across a 94 year old riding an ancient Claud Butler with a (metal) Simplex rear Derailleur and somewhat less than optimum tyre pressure. He rides it about town everyday apparently.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #24913 on: 07 November, 2021, 09:06:45 pm »
Needed to get out on the Gitane since I am using it on thursday and saturday with the Confrérie and I hadn't ridden it since july. Other things held me up until nearly 11h so only time for a short steady 35kms in a sort of misty drizzle, not very warm. All went well until I got home. The steps down were now a bit greasy and the old mrb shoes that I had taken instead of sandals had the cleats a bit more proud than optimal. Result one foot slid forwards and I went down very hard on my elbow (my back was protected by my phone in my jersey pocket). 10 mins later I had a huge lump from the bruising (although no real pain, just a lack of movement). Result, after lunch trip to the Urgences where I passed away a certain time waiting for an x-ray which, needless to say didn't show any fracture (although Mme had been a bit worried about hairline stuff). Finally got out about 17h30.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24914 on: 07 November, 2021, 09:14:56 pm »
Three mile sprint on the Pino to the station, quick train ride to Crawley,then followed the Old Cars down to Brighton. Nice to have a segregated lane on the multilane run in after whizzing down Clayton Hill.

Fish and chips on the front, as is tradition. Then my Young Lady suggested we ride back. Two options presented themselves: Grind up Dyke Road then the fantastic switchback road or head west to Shoreham and pick up the Downslink.
We went with the second choice. Stopped at the rather moving memorial to the Shoreham Air Crash.  The last few miles got a bit draggy and my arse was getting numb. My Young Lady got a bit chilly.
93 km for the day.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24915 on: 08 November, 2021, 08:45:10 am »
Small group ride to a farm cafe in Scald End in Beds of circa 30 miles. Serious and cold headwind going out but flew on the way back in brilliant sunshine. Food in cafe very good but prices have increased significantly following lockdown.

ps. At the start of the ride we came across a 94 year old riding an ancient Claud Butler with a (metal) Simplex rear Derailleur and somewhat less than optimum tyre pressure. He rides it about town everyday apparently.

El Prez & I used to see an old chap riding an MTB on our local cycle path every time we went out. He would do the full length of the flat bit in both directions, around 25k in all, stopping for coffee and a croissant at the supermarket bakery halfway along.  We once worked out that he did around 12,000 km a year.

Haven't seen him for a year or two now. Sad. Hope the Covid didn't get him.

« Reply #24916 on: 08 November, 2021, 09:12:08 am »
Ventured out for 'just a ride' yesterday.

Took 1.5hours to go 20km - then 45min to get back. 22-50knot winds.

The grind out was just that; a grind. Don't look at speed (dropping to single digits). Just keep going.

The ride back would have been more fun if my legs hadn't been so knackered. Reached 50pkh on the flat at one point, just freewheeling.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #24917 on: 08 November, 2021, 09:22:22 am »

The grind out was just that; a grind. Don't look at speed (dropping to single digits). Just keep going.

The ride back would have been more fun if my legs hadn't been so knackered. Reached 50pkh on the flat at one point, just freewheeling.
Good grief. Brutal.

We went for a walk on Dartmoor a couple of weeks ago. Up the hill was into a steady 30/40mph wind, with the odd gust well in to the 50s. The difference in effort required between striding up the hill in an "I'm outdoors and this walk is going to do me good" stylee with arms swinging and head up, and head down arms tucked behind my back was significant. Up to that point I hadn't appreciated how much windage one's arms cause, and on a bike, tucking your arms behind you isn't really an option.
Rust never sleeps

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #24918 on: 08 November, 2021, 11:08:58 am »

We went for a walk on Dartmoor a couple of weeks ago. Up the hill was into a steady 30/40mph wind, with the odd gust well in to the 50s. The difference in effort required between striding up the hill in an "I'm outdoors and this walk is going to do me good" stylee with arms swinging and head up, and head down arms tucked behind my back was significant. Up to that point I hadn't appreciated how much windage one's arms cause, and on a bike, tucking your arms behind you isn't really an option.

There was a mad American pro bike rider who used to do that back in the 90's I think. Can't remember the name.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #24919 on: 08 November, 2021, 11:31:43 am »

Good groef. Brutal.

I did wonder about getting some aero bars. Winds over 30mph are normal here for all of winter (there is a reason why 'Ian' was 'Windy'). Probably should think about removing front rack as well and maybe cleaning my bike (does having clean tubes and spokes make much of a difference?).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24920 on: 09 November, 2021, 12:11:51 pm »
Briskish 20 miles or so around the lanes on the tourer - probably the last ride this year with mitts rather than fingered gloves.

A bit of nostalgia - I wore my grey  acf l/s jersey as a base layer.   

That's the one with the Intel-style "Cyclist inside" logo on the back -  IIRC Jaded organised the ordering way back when.

« Reply #24921 on: 09 November, 2021, 12:59:31 pm »
Briskish 20 miles or so around the lanes on the tourer - probably the last ride this year with mitts rather than fingered gloves.

That's the one with the Intel-style "Cyclist inside" logo on the back -  IIRC Jaded organised the ordering way back when.
I still use mine as an under layer.
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24922 on: 09 November, 2021, 01:11:16 pm »
Started well enough but no oomph left after half an hour, turned round and fought our sempiternal god-damned NE wind to get home in time for lunch. Forecast had said 4-30 kph but it definitely seemed happier at the 30 end than the 4.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24923 on: 09 November, 2021, 03:30:10 pm »

I still use mine as an under layer.

I must see if I've still got my CyclingPlus winter jersey/jacket!   (That was a subscription freebie . . before I knew any better about the mag)

« Reply #24924 on: 09 November, 2021, 04:04:48 pm »
The hatlers possess three (I think) Cycling+  buffs.  No jersey though. I think I was a little late to that one.
Rust never sleeps