Author Topic: ACME Anvil Winter Series  (Read 118850 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: ACME Anvil Winter Series
« Reply #550 on: 25 October, 2021, 03:51:31 pm »
Cheers  :thumbsup:
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #551 on: 25 October, 2021, 04:28:10 pm »
Really looking forward to it !

« Reply #552 on: 26 October, 2021, 10:40:25 am »
Is there a date for the Oyster yet?
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #553 on: 26 October, 2021, 11:24:32 am »
15th January but it is an almost completely new route so the unveiling will probably not be until early next week...
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #554 on: 26 October, 2021, 11:27:25 am »
Super, thanks. Assuming Kelvedon start and via Mersea - or are you turning entirely radical in your middle age?
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #555 on: 26 October, 2021, 11:29:15 am »
15th January but it is an almost completely new route so the unveiling will probably not be until early next week...

Sounds good  :thumbsup:  I might enter.

« Reply #556 on: 26 October, 2021, 11:31:21 am »
It wouldn't be the Kelvedon Oyster without a Kelvedon start and the opportunity to exchange some ACME currency for an oyster in Mersea would it  :thumbsup:

The new route only really has the Rowhedge to Mersea section in common with the classic route.

That's enough spoilers before the Grand Reveal.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #557 on: 26 October, 2021, 11:38:35 am »
is there a Market Hill avoidance route for the 3R's? Steep+wet+FWD recumbent =  :facepalm: :demon: :-[
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #558 on: 26 October, 2021, 11:48:42 am »
is there a Market Hill avoidance route for the 3R's? Steep+wet+FWD recumbent =  :facepalm: :demon: :-[

Yes, use the main road (A414).  It may even be mentioned on the route sheet.  It is a faster road for cars but has two lanes for most of the way and is a much shallower gradient.

Also recommended for fixed riders who want to avoid the possibility of being stuck behind a car or bus as they turn the steep corner on Market Hill and then have to clip out quickly  :facepalm:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #559 on: 26 October, 2021, 03:41:18 pm »

Yes, use the main road (A414).  It may even be mentioned on the route sheet.  It is a faster road for cars but has two lanes for most of the way and is a much shallower gradient.

Also recommended for fixed riders who want to avoid the possibility of being stuck behind a car or bus as they turn the steep corner on Market Hill and then have to clip out quickly  :facepalm:
That road was awful when we test rode one of the events quite a few years back. More fixed friendly would be to follow the NCN and turn left at the bottom of the hill, though not as easy to cover on a route sheet.
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #560 on: 26 October, 2021, 04:05:32 pm »
The NCN route is my preferred Market Hill Avoidance. One short, narrow section is technically footpath, then there's the steep exit from the Salt Works that needs a brisk fixie stomp.

Basically: turn L IMM after the bridge over the tidal Blackwater, follow the NCN signs, SO @ Salt Works and then R @ T to bring you up to the High Street; L to continue on the official route out to Mundon and Latchingdon.

« Reply #561 on: 26 October, 2021, 05:03:39 pm »
I wouldn't say the NCN route is very recumbent friendly however.

For us mere mortals, the fixie stomp up from the Salt Works is just a straighter version of Market Hill without the bend and traffic. 

I have ridden all of them and they all have their issues.

It is a pinch point and no mistake.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #562 on: 26 October, 2021, 05:34:20 pm »
You could stay at river level for a while longer and ride along the promenade to the Hythe, exit on to Park Drive and rejoin the route at the roundabout junction with Mundon Road.  Less elevation gain but the potential hazard of pedestrians, on the plus side you could get sausage & chips from one of the numerous café takeaways in the park.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #563 on: 26 October, 2021, 05:36:30 pm »
It wouldn't be the Kelvedon Oyster without a Kelvedon start and the opportunity to exchange some ACME currency for an oyster in Mersea...

...followed by food poisoning  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

ElyDave

« Reply #564 on: 26 October, 2021, 07:29:53 pm »
I do the Kelvedon

I do not do the oyster, at least not raw

felstedrider

« Reply #565 on: 26 October, 2021, 08:55:41 pm »
I’ll be back on fixed next week.  There’s a hill you need to avoid in Essex ?

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #566 on: 26 October, 2021, 10:26:00 pm »
Loved the series (all ECE'd to 200) even though it took almost 18 months to complete involving perms thanks to Covid  :thumbsup:

« Reply #567 on: 27 October, 2021, 05:13:10 am »

Not really. I’ve been up Market Hill a few times and not been impeded. There is the risk that traffic backing up would necessitate a swift abort, but so far I’ve been ok.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #568 on: 27 October, 2021, 03:56:07 pm »

Not really. I’ve been up Market Hill a few times and not been impeded. There is the risk that traffic backing up would necessitate a swift abort, but so far I’ve been ok.

I thought all you trendy hipsters on your fixies could trackstand?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #569 on: 27 October, 2021, 05:17:44 pm »

I believe the steepest section is over 12%. One enforced stop on Market Hill is one too many: mine followed by a face-full of black diesel smoke as the car in front struggled with the hill start ... and then me with gritted teeth doing the same but without the carcinogenic emissions. I'll be taking the tourist route.

ElyDave

« Reply #570 on: 27 October, 2021, 07:16:46 pm »
yes, it's not the 12% in and of itself, it's the high probability of restarting a recumbent on 12%.

felstedrider

« Reply #571 on: 27 October, 2021, 08:57:39 pm »
Oh, THAT hill.  Get you now.  I pretty much always go down it.  Let’s see how it goes.

I may ECE depending on how I am building back up my body.  Witham is under 20k direct.

« Reply #572 on: 31 October, 2021, 12:44:50 am »
You could stay at river level for a while longer and ride along the promenade to the Hythe, exit on to Park Drive and rejoin the route at the roundabout junction with Mundon Road.  Less elevation gain but the potential hazard of pedestrians, on the plus side you could get sausage & chips from one of the numerous café takeaways in the park.
I was looking at that, which seems to be a cycle route according to Essex Highways (PDF). Might make a nice change.

« Reply #573 on: 31 October, 2021, 09:55:14 am »
yes, it's not the 12% in and of itself, it's the high probability of restarting a recumbent on 12%.

Those kind of starts are fine as long as the hill isn’t busy. In case you have an initial wobble as you restart.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #574 on: 31 October, 2021, 01:43:56 pm »
The Essex 3R's route check ride went well yesterday, we can confirm there are no missing roads.
We scoped out the Maldon Market Hill and High Street avoidance route which uses a narrow footpath (still NCN1) and Promenade along the river to the Park.  I'll provide a GPX for that option but not a route sheet.  The pedestrian areas were fairly quiet yesterday but be aware that it is a popular dog walking area.
emails with the usual instructions will be sent out soon.

I plan to be fairly relaxed with start times operating more like a turn up & go system - that will avoid groups on the road and at control locations.  There will be group start times at 9:30 and 10am, no need to 'book' a place. 
There are over 70 entries received as I write this so there will be a plenty of old faces to catch up with and new ones to meet!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax