Author Topic: Flights of Fancy  (Read 85038 times)

Re: Flights of Fancy
« Reply #350 on: 31 March, 2021, 08:21:37 am »
Nice. They play fine on my Linux latop by the way (Firefox on Ubuntu 20.04). Perhaps you just have a codec missing on yours.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #351 on: 31 March, 2021, 03:45:55 pm »
Quote from: pcolbeck
Nice. They play fine on my Linux latop by the way (Firefox on Ubuntu 20.04). Perhaps you just have a codec missing on yours.
Ta.

It's Opera, tried with Firefox & all is hunky dory.  Quick poke around on teh intarwebtubes indicates that Opera does stupid things.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

TheLurker

« Reply #352 on: 06 April, 2021, 08:31:38 pm »
And we're done.  Note the super detailed cockpit. *cough* *cough* *cough*

« Reply #353 on: 06 April, 2021, 10:47:15 pm »
That looks smashing. Well done.

I'm a bit of a fan of gliding, and especially vintage gliders. I had a cracking evening in a T.21 at Booker this summer.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #354 on: 07 April, 2021, 02:15:01 pm »
That looks lovely!
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #355 on: 07 April, 2021, 04:21:14 pm »
you wouldn't happen to have an electronic version of those plans for the Tern would you? 

I've completed the Bird Dog with the exception of the PITA job of cutting out all the markings, and making sure it flies - must remember to post photo here.

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

« Reply #356 on: 07 April, 2021, 04:25:03 pm »
Airspeed built these in York at their original factory right in the middle of town (it had been a trolly bus depot) which was unfortunately demolished about five years ago.
Interesting company, Nevil Shute was one of the founders and Lord Grimthorpe who's estate is based in our village and Alan Cobham were among the other directors.
[/quote

Grimthorpe or Grimsthorpe?  Only asking as I ran an ultramarathon several times at Grimsthorpe Castle in Lincolnshire.

« Reply #357 on: 07 April, 2021, 04:45:13 pm »
Airspeed built these in York at their original factory right in the middle of town (it had been a trolly bus depot) which was unfortunately demolished about five years ago.
Interesting company, Nevil Shute was one of the founders and Lord Grimthorpe who's estate is based in our village and Alan Cobham were among the other directors.
[/quote

Grimthorpe or Grimsthorpe?  Only asking as I ran an ultramarathon several times at Grimsthorpe Castle in Lincolnshire.

Ralph Beckett, 3rd Baron Grimthorpe. His seat was Westow Hall (currently his grandson Edward Beckett, 5th Baron Grimthorpe is the resident).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

TheLurker

« Reply #358 on: 07 April, 2021, 06:18:56 pm »
Thanks for the kind words.  It's never going to be a world beater as far as flight performance goes, but it's a small scale (ish) model with a not especially generous wing area so I'm not that cut up about it.

ElyDave > ...electronic copy...
See PM and get a wriggle on with those pics of the Bird Dog. :)

ETA.  For those reading NSN's autobiography.  I found out last week that there is film of R-100's arrival in Canada after its transatlantic proving flight. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbFhMxeTL2U

ElyDave

« Reply #359 on: 10 April, 2021, 04:00:18 pm »
Here she is

TheLurker

« Reply #360 on: 10 April, 2021, 04:37:10 pm »
Excellent!

ElyDave

« Reply #361 on: 10 April, 2021, 08:52:10 pm »
Just need to see how she flies, if the wind ever drops

TheLurker

« Reply #362 on: 25 April, 2021, 07:48:49 am »
Got a chance to fly toy aeroplanes indoors yesterday so was finally able to test the Willow Wren (20" span, 5.5g AUW), see upthread for more detail.  It works.

These snaps, taken by my grate freind Andy, from a test glide and a couple of different flights.  Yes, the socking great lump of plasticene (all 1g of it) will end up inside the nose due course. :)

And finally, my cheap knock-off copy with Peter Smart's original which can be seen flying in the youube link posted by pcolbeck in this post.

« Reply #363 on: 25 April, 2021, 08:05:26 am »
 Beautiful. That must be really rewarding.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #364 on: 25 April, 2021, 08:50:34 am »
Well done TL.  I know just how satisfying that will be for you.

What's next?

TheLurker

« Reply #365 on: 25 April, 2021, 02:21:20 pm »
Quote from: andytheflyer
What's next?
Decorating.  Hey ho... :)

TheLurker

« Reply #366 on: 15 May, 2021, 07:36:21 pm »
A mixed sort of day ...

It survived the impact with wall, flying so nicely too, but not the 15' dead drop to the floor.  It is repairable, but I'm going to bin it and (probably) build a new one with a moveable rudder and sort out a couple of things that niggled me about this one while I'm about it.

On the plus side my Lurker Locust (a knock-off copy of the BMFA Gyminnie Cricket) was stooging around quite nicely on 2 strands of 3/32" strip at about 950 turns which puts it *just* clear of the roof furniture.  One of these (flat calm) days I'm going to take it outside and wind the motor up to it's max of about 1700 turns and let it go. 

https://vimeo.com/ 549674643   <-- tack the url bits together

ElyDave.  Got one (just) ROG out of the Bird Dog, but it was touch and go (literally) at 800 turns and the motor was "tired" when I tried at 1,000 turns and just skittered along the ground so will make a new, longer, motor for the next meet and see what it does on 1,100 or more.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #367 on: 16 May, 2021, 07:56:00 am »
Ah Lurk.  Goes with the territory unfortunately.  You are right too - sometimes it's better to bin the remains of an unplanned return to earth in favour of  a new one - repairs add weight too. DAMHIKT.

TheLurker

« Reply #368 on: 21 May, 2021, 10:52:12 pm »
Quote from: andytheflyer
Ah Lurk.  Goes with the territory unfortunately.  You are right too - sometimes it's better to bin the remains of an unplanned return to earth in favour of  a new one - repairs add weight too. DAMHIKT.
Aye, if you can't live with the crashes and rebuilds take up another hobby, like stamp collecting.  :) 

Speaking of rebuilding.  That of the Chiribiri 5's UC* continues slowly.  It's given me an excuse to replace the original port wheel which I was never very happy about, the hub wasn't properly centred.  It's only taken three goes (or three evenings) and some sotto voce swearing to get an acceptably round and unbuckled wheel.  24 spoke, 2 cross if yer interested.

Look! It revolves and it's not (very) out of true!  :)  https://vimeo.com/ 553521911   (yes, it's tack the URL together time)

Bit of sanding, sealing and painting yet to do, but this one will do. 

Cheers,
Lurk

*It collapsed on its first ever glide test.  There's probably a pic somewhere up-thread.  If anyone's interested I'll sort out a few snaps of the reinforcements and enhancements.

TheLurker

« Reply #369 on: 31 May, 2021, 08:39:11 am »
Fat lad at the back!  For a no-cal this is a a positively lardy 5.5g without tail weight, yes Andy it will need tail weight. It's that plastic abomination at the front, puts CG at about 25% of root chord.  If it ever shows signs of flying then the ready made... article will be swapped out for a balsa airscrew.  However, it won't matter if its 1st flight is straight into the dustbin as its main purpose is to wind up a couple of the other "club" bods.  Bit of a Marmite aircraft yer Lacey M-10. ;)

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #370 on: 01 June, 2021, 08:18:27 am »
Didn't say a word...........

TheLurker

« Reply #371 on: 19 June, 2021, 09:56:25 pm »
Well the joke M-10 flew, after a fashion* but more importantly the Chiribiri No. 5 finally committed recognisable, if comical, aviation.  Only 13 or 14 months after it was completed and one undercarriage rebuild.

Currently tips the scale at a sneeze under 18g but that will, obviously, have to be increased to sort out the stall.

Film clip courtesy of my mate Andy Blackburn.    https://vimeo.com/ 565080946    <-- glue the URL together.

*No tail weight but did need gurney strips on the elevators.  Got it up to a repeatable 20s and, if I could be fussed to tinker with it, it could probably be turned into a half decent flyer.

TheLurker

« Reply #372 on: 23 July, 2021, 08:18:51 pm »
One uncovered airframe.  No prizes other than bragging rights if you can identify it, but anyone who was in the RAF, ATC or Air Cadets up until oooh late 1960s or even the early 1970s should have a good idea what it is.

Yeah, the nose block *is* a bit on the blunt side.  I'll do a new one *after* the initial flight trials and trimming cos this one is likely to get dented.

« Reply #373 on: 23 July, 2021, 09:09:56 pm »
From the hints I am guessing that it is a Prefect.  Shouldn't it have struts?  I flew a privately owned one maybe 25 years ago but can't remember much about it other than getting tutted at by the owner for an over exuberant sideslip on the approach  ::-)

TheLurker

« Reply #374 on: 23 July, 2021, 09:23:25 pm »
Quote from: JonBuoy
From the hints I am guessing that it is a Prefect...
Ladees & Gennelmen we have a winner!  :)

> ...shouldn't it have struts? 
It will, but they'll be the last things fitted after covering.