Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 892687 times)

Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #4725 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:10:00 am »
Pushed to defend or even explain PP's position, he simply ignored the question and instead went for whataboutery, reiterating that she had been subjected to racist abuse herself.
She's probably one of those Asians who hate people with darker* skin colour than herself.

*I used to work with two Asian women (one sikh and the other muslim) who told me their parents'
generation were terribly racist against black people. :(

ian

« Reply #4726 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:12:41 am »
She's not Asian, we should stop saying that. Yes, she has the surname Patel, but that's not because she has Asian heritage, it because it's her father's name and she inherited it, OK?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4727 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:15:13 am »
The Daily Excess (I can nominate a paper, right?)
They are reporting a heatwave in line with their general obsession with the weather, but have decide to report it on their front page using that favourite of the gammonartie, Fahrenheit. It’s like they wan to live in the past or something.

The past... or America.

To be fair, most people in the UK still seem to prefer Fahrenheit - even young people (ie younger than me), who would never have been taught it at school. Also I guess when you're talking about heatwaves, the numbers are more impressive when you use Fahrenheit.

Are they blaming the heatwave for killing Diana and/or Maddie? Or for giving you cancer?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #4728 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:18:46 am »
She's not Asian, we should stop saying that. Yes, she has the surname Patel, but that's not because she has Asian heritage, it because it's her father's name and she inherited it, OK?

Apparently, her parents are Ugandan-Indian. Which makes her stance on immigration all the more baffling.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4729 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:19:01 am »
Pushed to defend or even explain PP's position, he simply ignored the question and instead went for whataboutery, reiterating that she had been subjected to racist abuse herself.
She's probably one of those Asians who hate people with darker* skin colour than herself.

*I used to work with two Asian women (one sikh and the other muslim) who told me their parents'
generation were terribly racist against black people. :(
When I were a apprentice in the Bradford central telephone exchange there were about half a dozen blokes of Asian sub continent extraction. One of them was I believe a Sikh and also of a high cast. He would refuse to be in the same room as a couple of other blokes because they were either not Sikh or of a lower cast. ‘I cannot breathe the air they have’ was his excuse.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #4730 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:23:18 am »
The Daily Excess (I can nominate a paper, right?)
They are reporting a heatwave in line with their general obsession with the weather, but have decide to report it on their front page using that favourite of the gammonartie, Fahrenheit. It’s like they wan to live in the past or something.

The past... or America.

To be fair, most people in the UK still seem to prefer Fahrenheit - even young people (ie younger than me), who would never have been taught it at school. Also I guess when you're talking about heatwaves, the numbers are more impressive when you use Fahrenheit.

Are they blaming the heatwave for killing Diana and/or Maddie? Or for giving you cancer?

I can't do Fahrenheit beyond knowing that 70 and above is warm and 100 and above is fucking hot and I lived in the US for ages, where absolutely no one has heard of Celsius. I mentioned I have a special ruler in my mind that has Fahrenheit on one side and Celsius on the other, so I can look it up. There's allegedly some kind of maths that connects them, but I don't believe in math.

« Reply #4731 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:28:18 am »
Tyrone Mings kicks the ball right into  Priti Patel's smug face

https://twitter.com/OfficialTM_3/status/1414655312074784785?s=20

I think we can probably nominate Steve Barclay: pretty sure he's here anyway, but his performance on the Home Service this morning reinforces his position.

Hmmm.  Since when did being a victim of discrimination ever justify being a bigot yourself?   Totally, totally unthinkingly narcissistic.

citoyen

« Reply #4732 on: 15 July, 2021, 10:49:46 am »
I can't do Fahrenheit beyond knowing that 70 and above is warm and 100 and above is fucking hot and I lived in the US for ages, where absolutely no one has heard of Celsius. I mentioned I have a special ruler in my mind that has Fahrenheit on one side and Celsius on the other, so I can look it up. There's allegedly some kind of maths that connects them, but I don't believe in math.

Yes, 100ºF is fucking hot. Also 0ºF is fucking cold - much colder than 0ºC.

All I really know about Fahrenheit is that 100 is based on human body temperature, except that it isn't. And zero is the freezing point of water, except that it isn't pure water, it's sea water, or something equally stupid.

With different points of reference for each end of the scale, you can see why it appeals to Americans. The perverts.

« Reply #4733 on: 15 July, 2021, 11:12:55 am »
What I like about Celsius is that one unit of difference is just about on the cusp of detectable in everyday experience. A temp of 7 degrees feels just a little bit colder than a temp of 8 degrees, and 26 hotter than 25. It's a very relatable human scale of measurement. I doubt anyone could reliably tell the difference between 45 F and 46F, or 79 F and 78F.

And on the supertwattery front, personally I don't mind if the Express and its readers want to use Fahrenheit, Furlongs and Fathoms. It's just when they go on to argue that in order to protect their right to measure their house price inflation in Florins per Fortnight, we have to close all borders, stop speaking French and wave a flag in each hand while watching Last Night of the Proms.

ian

« Reply #4734 on: 15 July, 2021, 11:27:50 am »
Fahrenheit gets really squirrelly at the lower end, I've no idea what things like -10 degrees Fahrenheit are, other than it's probably a really good idea to wear a coat and get up 20 minutes early to de-ice the car.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4735 on: 15 July, 2021, 11:35:58 am »
The one fact* I do know about the fahrenheit scale is that Herr Fahrenheit devised it while drunk.

* Which is probably not true either
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

« Reply #4736 on: 15 July, 2021, 11:45:06 am »
Herr Fahrenheit

You know, it's kind of funny that the duffers should choose to assert their Britishness by using a scale devised by a foreigner. Although, to be fair, so was Celsius.

Now that we've done Brexit, we really should all switch to Kelvin.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4737 on: 15 July, 2021, 11:46:11 am »
0* Fahrenheit is based on the temperature of equal parts ice and salt, with freezing point of water set to be 30* F and the human body temp set at 90* F. At least that’s what Herr Fahrenheit intended, but it seems he wasn’t that good a scientist because he got pretty much all his reference points wrong! At least, that’s what the webby science of the encyclopaedia of the Britannica told me earlier this morning.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4738 on: 15 July, 2021, 11:54:04 am »
Herr Fahrenheit

You know, it's kind of funny that the duffers should choose to assert their Britishness by using a scale devised by a foreigner. Although, to be fair, so was Celsius.

Way back in the pre-Brexit Cretaceous there was some mad old duffer who used regularly to write to “Points Of View” complaining that the leftie BBC was using nasty FOREIGN Celsius in their weather forecasts.  I think his letters only got read out for their comedy value.

I am expecting the return of Fahrenheit* to be a cornerstone of the next Tory manifesto.

* The Return Of Fahrenheit:
  • low budget 1960s spy film
  • novel by 1920s German author so obscure not even academics have heard of him
?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4739 on: 15 July, 2021, 11:58:10 am »
Herr Fahrenheit

Way back in the pre-Brexit Cretaceous there was some mad old duffer who used regularly to write to “Points Of View” complaining that the leftie BBC was using nasty FOREIGN Celsius in their weather forecasts.  I think his letters only got read out for their comedy value.

I am expecting the return of Fahrenheit* to be a cornerstone of the next Tory manifesto.

* The Return Of Fahrenheit:
  • low budget 1960s spy film
  • novel by 1920s German author so obscure not even academics have heard of him
?
I vote for the film. But as a sequel to Fahrenheit 451.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4740 on: 15 July, 2021, 12:49:10 pm »
That would be Fahrenheit 452.

« Reply #4741 on: 17 July, 2021, 08:13:51 pm »
Has the Saj meister made an appearance here before?  As we are no longer part of Europe I can't use 'schadenfreude' word. However it seems quite appropriate that the 'Health' secretary who has just completed privatisation of the NHS and ending covid restrictions has ...

caught covid!
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

citoyen

« Reply #4742 on: 17 July, 2021, 08:24:06 pm »
It’s like some kind of metaphor.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4743 on: 17 July, 2021, 08:28:26 pm »

Sajid Javid

Max Schreck as Count Orlok

« Reply #4744 on: 18 July, 2021, 08:18:58 am »
That towering intellect and spaffer of lucrative "celebrity" contracts, Hatey Katey !!!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4745 on: 18 July, 2021, 12:03:37 pm »
How did Cockpins get into Oz in the first place?  IIRC they've already got Yaxley-Lennon, Milo Flobbadopolous and Gavin “Adolf Hipster” MacInnes on their Not Wanted Here List.

« Reply #4746 on: 18 July, 2021, 01:22:09 pm »
There would appear to be some robust internal political rumblings about how such a bigoted fascist "alien" got into Aus when their own citizens are struggling to get home.  Some hasty tidying away of swastikas methinks ...

I wonder if that other towering lefty Murdoch had anything to do with it?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4747 on: 18 July, 2021, 01:50:14 pm »
Seems Murdoch did own the parent company of 7 for a short period but flogged the TV stations that came with it in 1987.  If Cockpins' presence wasn’t turning a profit for Don Rupino he probably wouldn’t be interested  :demon:

ian

« Reply #4748 on: 19 July, 2021, 09:20:19 am »
You wouldn't think Australia would need to import racists. I thought they were self-sufficient.

« Reply #4749 on: 19 July, 2021, 10:10:54 am »
You wouldn't think Australia would need to import racists. I thought they were self-sufficient.

They don't like foreign racists.
<i>Marmite slave</i>