Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 889808 times)

Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #4750 on: 19 July, 2021, 11:41:52 am »
I wonder how Sky News Australia has been reporting the hatey katey saga?  I am not going to look though.

« Reply #4751 on: 19 July, 2021, 11:46:59 am »
I wonder how Sky News Australia has been reporting the hatey katey saga?  I am not going to look though.
I've looked, so that you didn't have to.
It's not on their front page and there is an absence of a search feature.

« Reply #4752 on: 19 July, 2021, 12:03:03 pm »
Thanks for taking the hit.

No surprise there then.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4753 on: 22 July, 2021, 12:05:29 am »
Every journalist or sub-editor who allows ‘pingdemic’ to be printed. There’s a fucking pandemic going on people, the pings are an attempt to stop it spreading quite so fast. They are NOT the cause of the problems in supply chains, they are a symptom of the cause.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4754 on: 22 July, 2021, 12:31:19 am »
Quite.

I'm also starting to get irked by the way every kind of electronic message has now become a 'ping', irrespective of whether it performs some sort of seeing-if-someone/something-is-there function or not.

« Reply #4755 on: 22 July, 2021, 12:43:43 am »
The term "ping" should be confined to the Ed Reardon Show, wherein its use is universally excellent.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4756 on: 22 July, 2021, 01:07:11 am »
Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)’s best mate when he was the Army's equivalent of a Penniless Student Oaf bore the surname “Ping”.  He married a ballerina, emigrated to New Zealand and drank himself utterly to DETH, though these facts are not necessarily related.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4757 on: 22 July, 2021, 06:02:25 am »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4758 on: 22 July, 2021, 07:02:21 am »
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4759 on: 22 July, 2021, 07:07:26 am »
Clapton's always been a ST.  Remember his drunken "wogs out" speech?  And this from a bloke who's spent his life appropriating the black man's music  :facepalm:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #4760 on: 22 July, 2021, 07:09:24 am »
The term "ping" should be confined to the Ed Reardon Show, wherein its use is universally excellent.
Or submarine movies.

« Reply #4761 on: 22 July, 2021, 07:59:07 am »
Herr Fahrenheit

You know, it's kind of funny that the duffers should choose to assert their Britishness by using a scale devised by a foreigner. Although, to be fair, so was Celsius.

Now that we've done Brexit, we really should all switch to Kelvin.

Despite its name Brexit is an English decision and Lord Kelvin was not English either. I would recommend using an entirely new scale, Farage. It would not reflect an actual temperature simply what we would like it to be. Foreigners would find it impossible to understand.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4762 on: 22 July, 2021, 10:12:51 am »
The Farage (Fg) is surely only applicable to HOT air.  If the weather gets a bit nippy we'd have to switch to something else, such as the Bobbhair (Bh).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4763 on: 22 July, 2021, 12:08:37 pm »
Or submarine movies.

The ICMP 'ping' command takes its name from the noise (and function) of active sonar.  That's perfectly reasonable, as it's one of the less obscure Unix command names, being based on a evocative metaphor rather than a witty pun.

By extension, it became common for Old Internet People[1] to use the term for a layer-8[2] operation of sending someone a message (by whatever protocol was convenient, including shouting) to see if they were available.  Post Internet People[1] picked up this usage, but missed the underlying sense of seeing if someone was there[3], instead using it to refer to any kind of messaging, including, it seems, those generated automatically.  Presumably because notifications sometimes make a "Ping!" sound.  Which is fair enough, really, but it's still the sort of thing you'd expect from philistines who don't even know what 'broadband' means.

'Pingfuckit' is an onomatopoeia.
'Pingdemic', on the other hand, isn't a thing.

[1] ©2019 Gretchen McCulloch
[2] In the OSI sense.
[3] Of course they're there, their phone's in their pocket.

« Reply #4764 on: 22 July, 2021, 12:15:48 pm »
'Rugby Football League (RFL) chairman Simon Johnson called [the Australian and New Zealand decision to pull out of the World Cup] a "selfish, parochial and cowardly decision".'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57925720

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #4765 on: 22 July, 2021, 12:34:27 pm »
Quote from: Kim
Quite.
I'm also starting to get irked by the way every kind of electronic message has now become a 'ping', i...
Ahh, being irritated by the way (mostly young) people change the language.  Welcome to middle age.  :D
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4766 on: 22 July, 2021, 01:26:58 pm »
Quote from: Kim
Quite.
I'm also starting to get irked by the way every kind of electronic message has now become a 'ping', i...
Ahh, being irritated by the way (mostly young) people change the language.  Welcome to middle age.  :D

This was very common where I worked.  >:(

Big Boss:  "If you could ping that to me."

Equally annoying was the use of only the first part of a conditional.
Mrs. B does that a lot. 
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #4767 on: 22 July, 2021, 01:41:09 pm »
I've just realised I haven't heard "I've inboxed you" recently.    Has that already gone out of fashion, after a brief period of annoyance?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4768 on: 22 July, 2021, 01:47:45 pm »
Or submarine movies.

One submarine movie only.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #4769 on: 22 July, 2021, 01:48:17 pm »
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/eric-clapton-not-play-vaccine-shows-1200257/

I think this is worthy of ST status.

It's all too easy these days to discover that somebody that you admire or respect for one thing is rather less appealing for others.  Social media in particular has lowered the threshold significantly for public narcissism and thus people outing themselves as utter ShiTs.

ian

« Reply #4770 on: 22 July, 2021, 03:23:30 pm »
I like ping. I'm now an inveterate pinger of things.

« Reply #4771 on: 22 July, 2021, 05:32:54 pm »
An unreformed knickerpinger, perchance?

« Reply #4772 on: 22 July, 2021, 06:28:59 pm »
Bra straps obvs.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

« Reply #4773 on: 22 July, 2021, 06:49:12 pm »
In less litigious and more prank-laden times, I was bribed (in chocolate) by one member of female staff to ping another female staff member's bra strap *while she was serving a customer*.

Her revenge consisted of a Post It note asking me to call Don Kiddick about his mortgage.  Which I fell for.

Other jolly japes included grabbing my arse, fingernails deep, while I was on the phone, or making Maxpax "coffee" with enough orange and soup powder in it to prompt instant vomiting.

« Reply #4774 on: 23 July, 2021, 11:01:00 pm »

Or submarine movies.

;D