Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 347888 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2125 on: 21 June, 2021, 12:41:54 pm »
I've always had a thing about 'new roads' and never understood people who manage the same route every month of the year. VV just gives me a clearer picture of where those new 'roads' are.

+4 I think we're up to.

I'm capable of riding the same route over and over.  If I'm only going out for a couple of hours, there isn't an awful lot of choice, and I'd generally rather ride a good route (vis motor traffic, surfaces, the right kind of hills and so on) that I've ridden before than something unpleasant that I've ridden before just because it's different.  But it's not half dull, and mostly wins over the alternatives of 'turbo trainer' or 'not riding my bike'.

Going somewhere new, if only to pee in a hedge and colour in a map, is much more interesting.

Of course, if you don't move house often enough, your tilebagging excursions turn into commutes as you take the most efficient route through familiar territory to get to the new bits.  I spent a lot of time on the A38 between here and Worcester last year...

« Reply #2126 on: 21 June, 2021, 01:17:25 pm »
Are you an Explorer or stay at home person, easy way to check. Cluster as a percentage of total.  I will start 2187 cluster is 7.35% of total, lower the better. For some of us Max Square involves cycling into lots of crap areas ???

Total number of tiles: 5542
Cluster: 556
Percentage: 10%

I'm surprised it is as high as that, as a lot of my tiles are not connected to my cluster.

Edited to add: I live in my square.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2127 on: 21 June, 2021, 01:36:02 pm »
On a visit to family in SW Scotland last week I managed to get some rides in to fill in some holes in my very modest collection of tiles .  Still plenty to do on future visits.

I too have a secondary cluster in SW Scotland to go with my Hampshire one, but further west than yours. I'll be there next week.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #2128 on: 21 June, 2021, 04:43:10 pm »

What Explorer has contributed to my riding is an intentionality to finding places I've never been before and the rewards of this have been wonderful.

This ^^

It also gets me out of the rut of riding the same routes over and over and on days when I can't think of where to go, it gives me a destination.

I also quite like the geeky completeness of filling in the gaps, it's very satisfying.
All of these things!
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2129 on: 21 June, 2021, 07:18:23 pm »

What Explorer has contributed to my riding is an intentionality to finding places I've never been before and the rewards of this have been wonderful.

This ^^

It also gets me out of the rut of riding the same routes over and over and on days when I can't think of where to go, it gives me a destination.

I also quite like the geeky completeness of filling in the gaps, it's very satisfying.
All of these things!

Yes.

Plus I enjoy planning a decent route to collect the tiles I want in a fairly efficient way.  I try to avoid spurs where possible as they mess up the flow of the ride.

« Reply #2130 on: 21 June, 2021, 08:26:51 pm »
...... Although I wish I had the time I did LEJOG shown.......
I did LEJOG in 1983 (as part of an organised trip) and I still have printed copies of each day's route maps and instructions.  I could create some GPX files and use GOTOES to upload them to Strava. But should I? The resulting filled-in tiles would link together a few areas which are currently separated in my post-2013 Strava uploads. (Of course there are hundreds of other rides I did between 1962 and 2013 that will never get logged, because I don't know the exact routes any more.)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2131 on: 21 June, 2021, 10:49:05 pm »

I just clicked on a ride and lost 3 tiles...

No change in other stats...

11159 tiles
Max square 27x27
Max Cluster: 1716

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2132 on: 22 June, 2021, 05:34:15 pm »
I did LEJOG in 1983 (as part of an organised trip) and I still have printed copies of each day's route maps and instructions.  I could create some GPX files and use GOTOES to upload them to Strava. But should I?
If it would bring a smile to your face when you look at your vv map then my opinion is yes you should.
If it would annoy you that the trip was recorded on paper, manually rather than automagically by a gadget then no I would think.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2133 on: 23 June, 2021, 08:26:52 am »
I did LEJOG in 1983 (as part of an organised trip) and I still have printed copies of each day's route maps and instructions.  I could create some GPX files and use GOTOES to upload them to Strava. But should I?
If it would bring a smile to your face when you look at your vv map then my opinion is yes you should.
If it would annoy you that the trip was recorded on paper, manually rather than automagically by a gadget then no I would think.
Yep, for instance, I recreated my year 8 coastal walk (2012), and put it on Strava. Of course it wasn't actually logged, but the route was effectively "follow the coast path".  There's also the Rempstone ride I did in that era, which still is the sole ride passing through a tile in the middle of Purbeck...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2134 on: 23 June, 2021, 09:03:00 am »
Since everyone else seems to be at it, I'm starting to think I should dig out my old brevet cards and add some pre-GPS rides - could very handily fill in a few West Kent tiles...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2135 on: 23 June, 2021, 09:09:45 am »
Not everybody. I'm not.

I could easily recreate audaii from 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 in the pre-GPS era, including a PBP and a fine French 300, as well as all the other qualifying rides that year. And there are some Semaines Federales. I've walked the 3 peaks without a tracklog, too. Do I go back to childhood walks and tours? I have journals I kept then.

It wouldn't make me smile- I would feel it was cheating.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2136 on: 23 June, 2021, 09:25:19 am »
Not everybody. I'm not.

I could easily recreate audaii from 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 in the pre-GPS era, including a PBP and a fine French 300, as well as all the other qualifying rides that year. And there are some Semaines Federales. I've walked the 3 peaks without a tracklog, too. Do I go back to childhood walks and tours? I have journals I kept then.

Agreed. I'm in a similar boat. I could dig out even my old etrex, and try and get the data off it, I could recreate some of my rides from when I was younger. But for me, this is about what I've done since I took up cycling properly in late 2017.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

« Reply #2137 on: 23 June, 2021, 09:27:37 am »

I certainly wouldn't feel entirely comfortable doing it, and was being mildly facetious saying I will do it.

Also seems like a lot of effort - for a lot of those old rides, I only have the locations of the controls, not the routesheets, so it would be a laborious process trying to recreate them accurately.

One thing I am tempted to do, if I have an idle moment, is try to recreate some of those old routes so I can perhaps ride them again as DIYs. That would be a good way to authentically fill in some of those tiles.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2138 on: 23 June, 2021, 09:31:11 am »
Pre-GPS I was in the habit of 'recording' my ride on RWGPS as soon as I could after the event. I have just used GOTOES to upload a few dozen of these to Strava.

My max square was unchanged. My max cluster increased by 2.

« Reply #2139 on: 23 June, 2021, 09:35:56 am »
I won't be recreating any pre gps rides either , it's a hair's breadth away from cheating IMO.

I'm more than happy that my Strava history is an incomplete version of my cycling/walking/running history.  That's just the way it is. 

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #2140 on: 23 June, 2021, 11:06:59 am »
Same here
Any GPS track I had in my PC I uploaded to Strava. But the rides I didn't log on GPS or the odd ride which got lost I consider lost. If I would recreate my old tours of the past I would probably shoot to #1 spot on the total amount of tiles list, with some very unusual tiles. And some would have been from area's where at that moment the usuage of GPS devices by foreigners was forbidden (for example the Altaj Republic in Southern Siberia).

« Reply #2141 on: 23 June, 2021, 11:55:29 am »
Strava very much remains an incomplete record - it's just too much effort to go back and recreate everything, and for very little gain. Although in all honesty there wasn't much that I did do before Strava, there was some mapmyrun recording!

See that very expedient line on the right hand of my screen? That's a mapmyrun GPS recording that I probably had to use GOTOES on to get timestamps, as I believe it was route only. This is from 2014, years before tiling!

The coastal walk, however, is obvious. It's also quite a significant event, so it's fitting that there's some record of it. The route is super obvious - and it's very useful for claiming some tricky coastal tiles. It's even nicely dated to the correct month of 2012.

Meanwhile, I know that I've walked to the Fossil Forest (east of Lulworth Cove) before. However, I can't be sure of how far, particularly whether it actually got into that next tile. Almost certainly - but not certainly. Besides, I'm going to end up walking that piece of coastline anyway, to claim the definitely unvisited tiles further east, so there'd be no point in using imagery and such to try and recreate the walk.

After all, who would you be cheating but yourself? (Unless you're right at the top of the leaderboards). I don't feel like I'm cheating myself by recreating activities that I certainly have done - in fact, remembering these things can be quite fun. Just as long as you don't screw over segment leaderboards or anything, set the activity to followers only if necessary.

The whole point of this, at least to me, is to find and visit new routes and places, not to retrace an old route because it wasn't recorded "officially"!

What would have been cheating would have been to just GPS trace the Lulworth Ranges tile... but I didn't, I claimed that one fair and "square".

« Reply #2142 on: 23 June, 2021, 12:40:41 pm »
Sounds like a lot of work.

It would feel a bit cheat-y, I reckon. But maybe if I was housebound for a few months I might refer back to my old diaries and photos to try to recreate old rides. What about going back to when the tech was available, or available to you? Suppose I could have spent a few years recording my tracks on my phone.

But nah, too much time in front of a computer for me.

« Reply #2143 on: 23 June, 2021, 12:46:16 pm »

It would feel a bit cheat-y, I reckon. But maybe if I was housebound for a few months I might refer back to my old diaries and photos to try to recreate old rides. What about going back to when the tech was available, or available to you? Suppose I could have spent a few years recording my tracks on my phone.

I my case that's easy, the tech has basically always been available  ;D

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #2144 on: 23 June, 2021, 12:57:23 pm »
All our memories; captured, shared, discussed
pencil drawn, photographed, mapped by satellites
liked, shared, kudo'd

like blessings on our hearts and minds
at times inspirational to strangers
unwittingly boring to friends

Strava has flourished like a flower in the field
yet when the wind goes over, it will be gone
and it's place will know it no more.

« Reply #2145 on: 23 June, 2021, 08:22:37 pm »
Since everyone else seems to be at it, I'm starting to think I should dig out my old brevet cards and add some pre-GPS rides - could very handily fill in a few West Kent tiles...

So tell us who is doing it? Its a slippery slope sitting at the computer generating tracks for Strava and Veloviewer. Will you be going all the way back to when you fell out of the pram and started walking?
Get a life.

Trying to fill in Kintyre, bits of the Kintyre way, forestry tracks and the wind farm roads are helping. Some parts of the Kintyre way are going back to nature.

« Reply #2146 on: 23 June, 2021, 08:41:16 pm »

I my case that's easy, the tech has basically always been available  ;D

;D

Strava? Luxury! You know, when we were kids we had to run a bit of string around a road map to work out or mileage.

(My dad actually did this, his mate memorised all the distances between local GPOs and worked out his mileage from that)

citoyen

« Reply #2147 on: 23 June, 2021, 08:48:08 pm »
Strava? Luxury! You know, when we were kids we had to run a bit of string around a road map to work out or mileage.

(My dad actually did this, his mate memorised all the distances between local GPOs and worked out his mileage from that)

And now, when people use modern tech to recreate those old routes, they're discovering just how many of them were under distance... sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.  ;D

« Reply #2149 on: 24 June, 2021, 08:24:52 am »
I had a look to see if it was feasible to recreate some of the more memorable rides from my student days... and found even some of the roads themselves had changed. I won't be doing it. Even if is not cheating, it feels too much like a slippery slope *towards* cheating :-/.