Author Topic: Gatwick drones -what utter stupidity and selfishness  (Read 45040 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Gatwick drones -what utter stupidity and selfishness
« Reply #200 on: 23 December, 2018, 06:29:12 pm »
So were the drone sightings reported by people with an interest in selling anti drone technology....?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Chris S

« Reply #201 on: 23 December, 2018, 06:34:43 pm »
Yes, of course, large sums will now be spent on dubious technological solutions. No drone or operator will ever be found (seriously, there must hundreds of crashed drones littering the countryside, I've certainly found a few).

You're Blodwyn Pig, and ICMFP

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #202 on: 23 December, 2018, 06:56:01 pm »
At risk of illuminating the purple light at GCHQ, If I wanted to attack a plane with a drone, I'd use it to deliver an incendiary device while it was on the ground.  Other suitable targets left as an exercise for the reader.

I love the fact that you have spent time (no matter how little of it) considering the best way to trash a plane  ;D

As I have posted elsewhere, quite a few years ago some peace activists got into Fairford and did some very expensive damage to one of their warplanes. They were acquitted on the grounds that their action was in order to prevent a greater crime. I think that verdict was just as it should have been, but I can't see it happening these days.

I've been hunting for a source to corroborate this, but the best I can manage are 3 trials, 3 hung juries and 3 retrials. I'm still looking for the results of the retrials.

https://peacenews.info/node/4184/hat-trick-fairford-activists

Found it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairford_Five

I reckon that sums it up.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ian

« Reply #203 on: 23 December, 2018, 07:06:38 pm »
So were the drone sightings reported by people with an interest in selling anti drone technology....?

Probably not, but I'm sure they'll take the opportunity that's been presented. If I had some clever-sounding anti-drone tech I'd be knocking on their door.

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #204 on: 23 December, 2018, 07:11:15 pm »

Such as BAE Systems, or Lockheed Martin (or some other company largely owned by Philip May's investment group)? Hmmm, <ponders> No, I doubt it.  ::-)

« Reply #205 on: 23 December, 2018, 07:17:02 pm »
Or, as we now learn, you can bring one major airport to a standstill with a few mates phoning in reported sightings of drones. Thus, with a few more mates you could simultaneously bring lots of airports to a standstill by phoning in lots of sightings around lots of airports.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #206 on: 23 December, 2018, 07:17:32 pm »
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1076917050130554881

A spokesperson for Birmingham Airport says flights have been temporarily suspended due to an "air traffic control fault" and is advising passengers to check with their airlines "regarding flight departures and arrivals"

Anyone seen Kim recently ?  ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #207 on: 23 December, 2018, 08:11:38 pm »
Does anyone else think of Bertie Wooster whenever Drones are mentioned? No? Just me then.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #208 on: 23 December, 2018, 08:12:46 pm »

A spokesperson for Birmingham Airport says flights have been temporarily suspended due to an "air traffic control fault" and is advising passengers to check with their airlines "regarding flight departures and arrivals"

Sorry.  I coughed too hard and they saw a bogey on their radar screen...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #209 on: 23 December, 2018, 08:13:50 pm »
Does anyone else think of Bertie Wooster whenever Drones are mentioned? No? Just me then.
Crumpets for tea is it, Tim?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #210 on: 23 December, 2018, 08:14:59 pm »
There was a vid of what appeared to be a drone flying above a place that looked like an airport terminal on a day that was claimed to be yesterday. I'm sure a link to it was posted here.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #211 on: 23 December, 2018, 08:16:04 pm »
Or, as we now learn, you can bring one major airport to a standstill with a few mates phoning in reported sightings of drones. Thus, with a few more mates you could simultaneously bring lots of airports to a standstill by phoning in lots of sightings around lots of airports.
But then you could do the same by phoning in sightings of "suspicious packages."

« Reply #212 on: 23 December, 2018, 08:18:23 pm »
Ah, thanks!

« Reply #213 on: 23 December, 2018, 08:18:49 pm »

Sorry.  I coughed too hard and they saw a bogey on their radar screen...

:D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #214 on: 24 December, 2018, 02:03:05 am »
I guarantee you that they'll still make even more silly anti-drone laws.
This isn't the first time.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #215 on: 24 December, 2018, 09:03:45 am »
Really, that couple shouldn't have been named. The police said that the arrest was 'lawful'. Assuming that those two did nothing wrong and weren't involved in any way, there was no evidence at all against them (an accusation is not evidence, however many people say the same thing), so it was false imprisonment. I hope that they get good compensation.

A far worse case was when that garden designer in Bristol was murdered. Her landlord was charged and named - he didn't do it, but his reputation was ruined.
Yes, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but evidence is not proof. In the absence of guilt there is no evidence at all, just incompetence and stupidity.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #216 on: 24 December, 2018, 09:10:42 am »
Really, that couple shouldn't have been named. The police said that the arrest was 'lawful'. Assuming that those two did nothing wrong and weren't involved in any way, there was no evidence at all against them (an accusation is not evidence, however many people say the same thing), so it was false imprisonment. I hope that they get good compensation.

A far worse case was when that garden designer in Bristol was murdered. Her landlord was charged and named - he didn't do it, but his reputation was ruined.
Yes, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but evidence is not proof. In the absence of guilt there is no evidence at all, just incompetence and stupidity.
There were some on this forum who were happy to post photographs of the couple. ::-)

ian

« Reply #217 on: 24 December, 2018, 09:28:09 am »

But that's how it works, there has to be a compelling (and defined) reason for anonymity. Sometimes you don't even need to be charged, the police will turn up with the media in helicopters above your house. That said, gazing into my crystal ball, I see them receiving a financial donation from the chaps in blue. While the police may lack the resources to address ordinary crime, they do seem to have limitless resources for paying off people (and hanging around football matches). That said, I think our entire legal profession is all a bit dim, some senior barrister was bemoaning the fact that people who look nice and present themselves well in the witness box are more likely to get off. Erm, really.

It does seem a mite peculiar that given the resources of the military, police, and airport, the only footage we have of these drones is a couple of unverified videos on the internet...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #218 on: 24 December, 2018, 10:01:39 am »
With all of the plane spotters sitting around with their telephoto lenses, plus all of the media, you'd think someone could have got a decent photo/video.
And identified what make/model of drone it actually was. Several reports claimed it was an 'industrial' drone,  I'm not sure how they worked that out.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #219 on: 24 December, 2018, 10:44:04 am »
It was working very hard?
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #220 on: 24 December, 2018, 10:50:08 am »
The 'we found a broken drone' seems increasingly desperate. 'But the rain may have washed away any evidence...'

Yeah, it might have.

I suspect we'll have more genuine footage of Santa this evening than there will ever be of any Gatwick drone.

Ben T

« Reply #221 on: 24 December, 2018, 10:54:05 am »
My money is on the authorities in a ruse to get civilian drone usage banned.

Same as bottled water manufactuers being behind whatever caused liquids to be banned.

There was a vid of what appeared to be a drone flying above a place that looked like an airport terminal on a day that was claimed to be yesterday. I'm sure a link to it was posted here.

Thing about the videos is it could have been anywhere - I bet the background was just sky.

With all of the plane spotters sitting around with their telephoto lenses, plus all of the media, you'd think someone could have got a decent photo/video.
And identified what make/model of drone it actually was. Several reports claimed it was an 'industrial' drone,  I'm not sure how they worked that out.

With a telephoto lens I would think you would struggle to get the airport in the background in focus.

« Reply #222 on: 24 December, 2018, 11:38:27 am »
, some senior barrister was bemoaning the fact that people who look nice and present themselves well in the witness box are more likely to get off. Erm, really.
Unconcious bias ("Forget the evidence, you look like me, so I'm going to find you not guilty").

ian

« Reply #223 on: 24 December, 2018, 12:03:51 pm »
, some senior barrister was bemoaning the fact that people who look nice and present themselves well in the witness box are more likely to get off. Erm, really.
Unconcious bias ("Forget the evidence, you look like me, so I'm going to find you not guilty").

It's not really that unconscious tbh, but it is the obvious outcome of an adversarial justice system.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #224 on: 24 December, 2018, 12:46:57 pm »
Actually, I'm changing my vote to the 'there was no drone' and it's one of the 'big cat' style things. They never found the Beast of Sydenham either.

Mine too.  And I'm going to go a step further and suggest that it will still be used as an excuse to install - at great expense - marginally effective anti-drone security theatre.

Nailed it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46670714