Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 121542 times)

Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #525 on: 14 November, 2020, 06:52:20 pm »
Accurate squares are all well and good - but that presupposes that I can mark and cut in a straight line too.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #526 on: 15 November, 2020, 10:47:25 am »
Accurate squares are all well and good - but that presupposes that I can mark and cut in a straight line too.

You been watching over my shoulder?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #527 on: 15 November, 2020, 06:12:20 pm »
I haev rimless spectacles which I like. The arms and nose piece are held on by small hex nuts which are secured by a second cap nut.
I am looking for the tiny socket driver which is needed to tighten them.
There are plenty of cheap small screwdriver sets on Amazon, but I cannot see one with the socket driver. (Nut driver may be a better term)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #528 on: 15 November, 2020, 06:15:17 pm »
I got one included with the box of one million and one assorted glasses screws I got off fleabay a month or two back.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #529 on: 15 November, 2020, 06:47:48 pm »
Ask your optician/spec maker.

Chris N

« Reply #530 on: 15 November, 2020, 07:21:02 pm »
Sounds like a good excuse to browse the Wera website...  While you're there, have a look at this: https://products.wera.de/en/news_and_promotional_products_autumn_winter_2020_2021_adventskalender_2020.html

Measure the nuts first.  You do own a vernier caliper, don't you?

« Reply #531 on: 15 November, 2020, 07:23:39 pm »
Chris, I do indeed own a vernier caliper. one of Mr Lidl's finest.

Chris N

« Reply #532 on: 16 November, 2020, 11:01:07 am »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #533 on: 16 November, 2020, 01:39:08 pm »
A momentary disappointment

This product is currently not available at any online partner.

However to save you all the 30 second Google - Rapid

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #534 on: 16 November, 2020, 02:54:48 pm »
I did a bit of delving into their OS & (eugh) accounting/stock-control software back in the 80s when their programmer swore blind that the errors were due to us and not him. Even after I put a finger on his fuck-up he refused to accept that his program would ever execute that bit of code - kinda curious since he wrote it.  Also kinda curious in that when I put a breakpoint on it, it stopped there. Trumpishly, he wouldn't accept that I hadn't made his crap pass that way.

Brass rags all round and Wera didn't offer me any freebies. Not even lunch, never mind tools.  Wera Paris, that was.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #535 on: 09 December, 2020, 08:50:17 pm »

My Diamond sharpening plate arrived. It's the "fine" stone. I'll need to wait until I get the course and extra fine before it's fully useful. I also got a honing guide for chisels/plane blades.

Small issue... I don't have any chisels or planes...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #536 on: 10 December, 2020, 02:19:52 am »

My Diamond sharpening plate arrived. It's the "fine" stone. I'll need to wait until I get the course and extra fine before it's fully useful. I also got a honing guide for chisels/plane blades.

J

Ich befreie dich von deinen Sünden
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #537 on: 10 December, 2020, 08:51:13 am »

J

After a while, "fine" becomes "extra fine" all on its own.

« Reply #538 on: 10 December, 2020, 10:36:48 am »
Good sharpening stones seemed absent from any local DIY stores last time I looked. The one I eventually found shed bits in no time.
Luckily I had inherited some from my grandfather which must be pre-war - unfortunately they were on the other side of the Channel when I needed one.  They don't wear out.

« Reply #539 on: 10 December, 2020, 02:57:21 pm »
They don't wear out.

Of course the do. Just very slowly. I have some I picked up at car boot sales that are dished in the middle from use and need flattening.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #540 on: 10 December, 2020, 04:47:41 pm »
They don't wear out.

Of course the do. Just very slowly. I have some I picked up at car boot sales that are dished in the middle from use and need flattening.

Relative to me they don't wear out!

Chris N

« Reply #541 on: 14 January, 2021, 09:41:50 am »
Machine tools, however small, are a fantastic way of accumulating more gear...  The amount of stuff needed to make this thing work properly over and above the lump of cast iron on the bench is just amazing.

;D

« Reply #542 on: 14 January, 2021, 09:48:07 am »
Talking about sharpening stones, my father had a very fine grade one which was embedded in a block of wood and had a wooden cover. He worked as a laboratory technician. I believe this was used to sharpen either scalpels or hypodermic needles.
I definitely know that scalpels were sharpened and autoclaved in those days.
Can anyone confirm if needles were similarly sharpened?

« Reply #543 on: 14 January, 2021, 10:06:15 am »
Yes hypodermic needles were definitely sharpened.  My father remembered in the war when you had to get an injection you wanted to be first in the line as by the end of the day it was pretty blunt.

« Reply #544 on: 14 January, 2021, 10:28:04 am »
Machine tools, however small, are a fantastic way of accumulating more gear...  The amount of stuff needed to make this thing work properly over and above the lump of cast iron on the bench is just amazing.

;D

Nice !   That's why they generally come with a cabinet you can put all the bits in.

If I ever end up with a bigger garage than we have now something like that is on top of the list, along with a similarly specced milling machine.
Rust never sleeps

Chris N

« Reply #545 on: 14 January, 2021, 11:03:30 am »
Rule of thumb seems to be that however much you spend on the lathe or mill, you need to spend on tooling and fixtures.

That's why they generally come with a cabinet you can put all the bits in.

That's what the tool chest and cupboard below are for.  They're not full yet. :thumbsup:

If I ever end up with a bigger garage than we have now something like that is on top of the list, along with a similarly specced milling machine.

I'm trying not to buy a similar mill.  Pillar drill, grinder, sander, 3D printer and the lathe should keep me busy for a while.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #546 on: 14 January, 2021, 12:36:00 pm »

;D
Oooo.  I'm lusting after a mini-lathe just to learn how to use one.  I don't really have a need now but just having the skill to machine parts would be nice.  Maybe for making model steam engine kits? I' have most of the tools I need to keep my classic Triumphs on the road, but a lathe would be nice.

Which one is this and how do you like it?

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #547 on: 14 January, 2021, 02:12:37 pm »
If it has plastic gears as many cheap Chinese made makes do you can find metal replacements which will greatly improve the performance of the lathe.

« Reply #548 on: 14 January, 2021, 02:15:27 pm »
If it has plastic gears as many cheap Chinese made makes do you can find metal replacements which will greatly improve the performance of the lathe.

Bonus points for using it to make replacement metal gears.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris N

« Reply #549 on: 14 January, 2021, 02:59:38 pm »
Oooo.  I'm lusting after a mini-lathe just to learn how to use one.  I don't really have a need now but just having the skill to machine parts would be nice.  Maybe for making model steam engine kits? I' have most of the tools I need to keep my classic Triumphs on the road, but a lathe would be nice.

Which one is this and how do you like it?

This is a Sieg SC4 from Arc Euro Trade.  Only got it running yesterday but it seems pretty good so far if a little noisy.  I think it should quieten down as it wears in.  I do have some experience with (larger) machines and I'm a little worried that it's too small (210mm swing, 510mm between centres, 100mm chuck and a 20mm throat) but I couldn't justify spending more on a bigger machine.