Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 121401 times)

Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #700 on: 28 July, 2021, 11:57:17 pm »
I have one of the standard Abba stands with a few adapters, and one of the dirtbike type stands. On the Pan I've been able to do everything so far using just the centre stand and maybe a trolley jack with block of wood under the engine to keep the front end in the air, or an axle stand on the front wheel axle if I've got the front wheel off and want extra stability because it's going to sit there for a while (I've had both wheels off simultaneously for a tyre change, though usually I do them one at a time). On Mrs H's Virago I used straps over roof joists to keep it balanced whilst doing the tyres.

The problem with the Abba stand, the dirtbike stand or using the centre stand is that I end up lying or kneeling on the garage floor. A proper table lift would be good to be able to work on the bikes at a convenient level. I keep eyeing them up, it's been a case of needing to tidy up the garage holding me back - I hadn't realised the fork lift requirement.

Edit to add:
One thing to watch for with the Abba stands is bike compatibility. Of the four bikes in our garage, only one has official compatibility with the stand now - and the adapter kits are common between the normal stand and the sky lift so that will be the same. It is possible to use the swing arm removal kit (which I have) to increase compatibility, but that's a bit of a faff, moves the centre of gravity as it fits in place of your foot peg, and isn't as robust as you're effectively supporting the whole bike on an M8 bolt on each side.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #701 on: 27 August, 2021, 09:03:16 pm »
Added a cordless jig-saw to the common battery platform with recently acquired tools - may need to buy another battery as 2 may not be enough.

Some bike tools sold, subject to collection/payment.

« Reply #702 on: 09 September, 2021, 10:53:30 am »
The Beemer is covered in hex fasteners so I splashed out on a set of these Wiha T-handle allen keys:

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #703 on: 13 September, 2021, 06:59:11 pm »
I took delivery of a Nilfisk GM80 vacuum cleaner today.
F*ck me! That's going to pull up my carpets.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #704 on: 13 September, 2021, 07:31:42 pm »

Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #705 on: 15 September, 2021, 05:35:46 pm »

Somewhat spookily, your gif shows the model of Miele which my Nilfisk has replaced.
After 20 or so years of sterling service, the Miele developed a fault whereby I'd pull out all the flex and plug it into the wall socket, I'd start doing the hoovering and then notice that the Miele was being dragged back to the wall socket by the flex re-winding into the machine.

ETA: How hard does the Nilfisk suck?
Hard enough that you need to put in some effort to shove it across the carpet.

« Reply #706 on: 17 September, 2021, 05:55:12 pm »

Somewhat spookily, your gif shows the model of Miele which my Nilfisk has replaced.
After 20 or so years of sterling service, the Miele developed a fault whereby I'd pull out all the flex and plug it into the wall socket, I'd start doing the hoovering and then notice that the Miele was being dragged back to the wall socket by the flex re-winding into the machine.

ETA: How hard does the Nilfisk suck?
Hard enough that you need to put in some effort to shove it across the carpet.

They've made a mistake.
They sent me the wrong cleaner.
I ordered and paid for a GM80 model.
They've sent me a GM80P (professional).
Which, ordinarily, comes through the till at ~ £650.00.
Around twice what I paid.
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #707 on: 17 September, 2021, 06:30:15 pm »

Just FTR, this seems to be a common issue, I would note that (a) a clothes peg serves as a useful non-return catch, but is still annoying (b) should you choose to take the challenge of de-assembling the item (dissembling?), after admiring the complexity that is the cable return assembly you may well conclude that the item cannot be repaired and that a replacement is north of £40, making the value questionable. You might also continue to (c) to discover that people sell used ones (!!) on ebay for £20+

« Reply #708 on: 17 September, 2021, 07:06:30 pm »

Just FTR, this seems to be a common issue, I would note that (a) a clothes peg serves as a useful non-return catch, but is still annoying (b) should you choose to take the challenge of de-assembling the item (dissembling?), after admiring the complexity that is the cable return assembly you may well conclude that the item cannot be repaired and that a replacement is north of £40, making the value questionable. You might also continue to (c) to discover that people sell used ones (!!) on ebay for £20+
I am enamoured of my ground-lifting Nilfisk.

« Reply #709 on: 18 September, 2021, 02:29:13 pm »
The brake fluid reservoir cap on the Beemer decided it wasn't coming off. One of the four screws was well and truly stuck and the head was just mangling itself no matter what pressure I attempted to put in the screwdriver. So I broke out the Vessel Impactor screwdrivers for the first time. PH2 fitted perfectly and some whacking with a hammer later the screw was out.
Vessel Megadore screwdrivers are good and JIS compliant as well as fitting Philips but the Impactor with in built impact driver action are brilliant on stuck stuff and much easier to use than a normal impact driver.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #710 on: 18 September, 2021, 04:18:35 pm »
The brake fluid reservoir cap on the Beemer decided it wasn't coming off. One of the four screws was well an truly stuck and the head was just mangling itself no matter what pressure I attempted to put in the screwdriver. So I broke out the Vessel Impactor screwdrivers for the first time. PH2 fitted perfectly and some whacking with a hammer later the screw was out.
Vessel Megadore screwdrivers are good and JIS compliant as well as fitting Philips but the Impactor with in built impact driver action are brilliant of stuck stuff and much easier to use than a normal impact driver.
Ooh! They look nice. But I really cannot justify them as I have a conventional impact wrench with swappable tips.

« Reply #711 on: 18 September, 2021, 05:06:32 pm »
Vessel impacts FTW!

If you are working on a Japanese motorcycle, they really do the job nicely and I'd say pretty essential. I have a traditional impact driver too, but if it's JIS 2 or 3 then the Vessel is used (partly because it'll already be in my hand to try to undo the screw without percussion pursuasion).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #712 on: 07 October, 2021, 09:40:06 pm »
The nice people from DHL brought me a box of new shinies today:

Mortice chisels, a bench chisel, a nice saw, and a file brush.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #713 on: 07 October, 2021, 10:06:19 pm »

Gosh that is not being sold for its looks is it?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #714 on: 08 October, 2021, 11:30:22 am »

Gosh that is not being sold for its looks is it?
On the contrary.
Its a design classic, one that has featured in several films.
But beauty lies...... an' all that.  ;)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #715 on: 08 October, 2021, 06:36:33 pm »
Woo, we have just taken delivery of a proper adult sized spirit level \o/
2021-10-08_06-46-28 by The Pingus, on Flickr

I also liberated a pair of nearly new DM safety boots from my place of employment so I'm all set for the weekend.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #716 on: 08 October, 2021, 09:41:48 pm »
Set for what?  :-\

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #717 on: 08 October, 2021, 09:59:20 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #718 on: 08 October, 2021, 11:43:58 pm »
What's not to like about a woman with spirit and comfortable shoes?

« Reply #719 on: 23 October, 2021, 07:39:03 am »
I have just splashed out on one of these Makita knock-offs (about £20 when I bought it). It arrived astonishingly quickly (about 7 days) and appears absolutely fit for the use I intend, which is  dedicated caravan steady raising and lowering. Build quality appears better than imagined, with excess weight being the major downside of note. Whatever its suitability for long term use, I hope it will do the little asked of it for some time. I already have Makita batteries on board for the inflator and the vac.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #720 on: 23 October, 2021, 08:10:27 am »
Shame you can't search their site on knock-off.  I'd like a decent pneumatic one to swap the wheels on the car twice a year.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #721 on: 23 October, 2021, 09:29:35 am »
Hmm interesting. I have been thinking about getting a Makita combi drill type thing....

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #722 on: 23 October, 2021, 10:02:16 am »
You won't get one off the outfit Ham linked to though, because:

This Warehouse Can Not Ship To United Kingdom
[…]
This product is not available in your current region, please choose other products.

Ah, those sunlit uplands!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #723 on: 23 October, 2021, 01:03:24 pm »
If you pick another warehouse it gives you ship to UK.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #724 on: 23 October, 2021, 04:05:10 pm »
I have just splashed out on one of these Makita knock-offs (about £20 when I bought it). It arrived astonishingly quickly (about 7 days) and appears absolutely fit for the use I intend, which is  dedicated caravan steady raising and lowering. Build quality appears better than imagined, with excess weight being the major downside of note. Whatever its suitability for long term use, I hope it will do the little asked of it for some time. I already have Makita batteries on board for the inflator and the vac.

I've got one of those, and it's surprisingly skookum.

Only issue I've had is that the little magnet that secures hex bits in place came loose and pingfuckited with repeated impact-driving.  I've not got round to attempting some sort of bodge, so driving screws in a downwards direction tends to result in ejection of the bit unless you're paying more attention than I'm capable of.