Author Topic: Rugby League  (Read 23415 times)

Re: Rugby League
« Reply #25 on: 27 March, 2021, 11:36:08 am »
@Steph, I can see the value of an inclusive sport played in schools, not sure about the pro level though.  While my first introduction to rugby was union, I am less interested in watching a sport where half the team can’t run for the whole match because they’re too pie retentive, they generally lack the basic skill of “not dropping the ball in the pass” and significant viewing time is spent kicking the ball back and forth up the pitch, or with all the forwards in a big pile waiting for the ref to award a penalty (at random?). 
I have little time to watch sports these days so only occasionally will watch union highlights.  The moment I realised I was no longer interested in watching union was ~ 15 years ago when watching France in the 6 nations I figured I could pop of and quickly fettle the bike ... I never came back to the match.
That said, a GOOD union match is a thing of beauty; just for me, on average, league matches will be better than union.

Proper split allegiances today in the KR v Catalan game.  If Ryan Hall has still got it KR could be in for a hell of a season.  Leigh impressed yesterday, suspect this is the usual Wigan underperforming at the start of the season and the new team out to prove themselves.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #26 on: 28 March, 2021, 02:09:37 pm »
Just watching the Swinton v Oldham cup match.  It's really noticeable how much like ordinary humans the players look in comparison to the Union players in the 6-nations, who have to have their kit sprayed on.

« Reply #27 on: 28 March, 2021, 04:11:38 pm »
To be fair they're semi-pros (at best). 

« Reply #28 on: 28 March, 2021, 05:47:38 pm »
That'll do for me!  Do you thing the Union pros actually eat the money?!

« Reply #29 on: 30 March, 2021, 03:20:13 pm »
If Ryan Hall has still got it KR could be in for a hell of a season.

He was lacklustre - at best - for Sydney Roosters last season, a shame he didn't return to the mighty Rhinos but I can see why neither party would want that.

« Reply #30 on: 30 March, 2021, 05:42:24 pm »
How's he doing his hair, these days?

« Reply #31 on: 01 April, 2021, 05:11:34 pm »
It's pretty normal looking, must have mellowed a bit with age

« Reply #32 on: 01 April, 2021, 07:14:37 pm »
I've just remembered - hairdressers (or in Ryan's case panel-beaters) are shut, aren't they?  And it's usually a bit obvious when he's had an appointment!

« Reply #33 on: 08 April, 2021, 10:39:59 am »
James Roby gets an England call-up?  Isn’t he a million years old (in rl player years).

« Reply #34 on: 08 April, 2021, 07:20:43 pm »
He's 35, Cameron Smith retired from international duty at 33 and he was better...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #35 on: 09 April, 2021, 11:43:58 am »
I see Clive Sullivan is commemorated in today's google doodle. It would have been his 78th birthday today.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #36 on: 09 April, 2021, 11:59:56 am »
I see Clive Sullivan is commemorated in today's google doodle. It would have been his 78th birthday today.
He died so young.

« Reply #37 on: 09 April, 2021, 06:49:34 pm »
HT HKR up 16 points on Cas.  Unexpected.

« Reply #38 on: 09 April, 2021, 10:59:08 pm »
Close, but no cigar.  Never in doubt.

« Reply #39 on: 14 May, 2021, 11:55:18 pm »
Last round of CC.  Very good indeed.
Not used to the reset rule, it makes it even faster, I like.

Not as impressed with decisions in the Cas game, felt Salford got away with slowing the ptb at a level where Cas were being penalised.  Also, the two yellows...  But what a finish!

« Reply #40 on: 17 May, 2021, 07:44:16 am »
A new element re: set restart has cropped up in the NRL - deliberate repeat infringements at the start of sets to give you forwards a chance to get back onside. They're showing yellow cards like it went out of fashion...

« Reply #41 on: 22 May, 2021, 06:00:50 pm »
Have seen more yellow cards this year than usual.  Not necessarily a bad thing if it results in less damage to players and is enforced evenly.

« Reply #42 on: 29 May, 2021, 07:03:57 pm »
Catalans THRASH Wigan.  Even less expected than Cas-Leeds outcome.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57275099

Prob Wigan and Cas had one eye on the CC next weekend.

« Reply #43 on: 18 June, 2021, 11:04:40 pm »
RESULT for HKR. 

Also, Wigan and Sintellens losing this w/e is works in Catalans favour, so I am doubly happy.

« Reply #44 on: 19 June, 2021, 10:36:01 pm »
As a Leeds fan I always love to see Wigan and Saints losing - whether it benefits us or not...

« Reply #45 on: 19 June, 2021, 11:53:52 pm »
My FIL was a HKR fan.  The system was HKR, then "anyone but Wigan or Sintellens".  I understand your sentiment very well.

« Reply #46 on: 18 July, 2021, 12:38:01 am »
Eh merde

« Reply #47 on: 18 July, 2021, 10:48:16 am »
I was rooting for Castleford.  did you find it hard to watch, with the shadow covering so much of the ground?

« Reply #48 on: 18 July, 2021, 12:14:35 pm »
Yes.  I enjoyed the first half, but realised how it was going after 50 mins.  It's hard as I should objectively just enjoy Sintellens playing, as they are very good and I have no reason to have any beef with them; but - anyone but Sintellens or Wigan.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #49 on: 18 July, 2021, 12:27:06 pm »
Sintellens sound like they ought to be from Belgium.

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime