Author Topic: ***CoronaBonus***  (Read 64553 times)

Re: ***CoronaBonus***
« Reply #75 on: 22 March, 2020, 04:12:36 pm »
Currently listening to my wife and a dozen others testing out a Zoom virtual Pilates class!  Chaos.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #76 on: 22 March, 2020, 04:35:21 pm »
^ ^ Snap (sort of, not Pilates) ^ ^
Rust never sleeps

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #77 on: 22 March, 2020, 04:40:10 pm »
With any luck this summers 2 week tennis fest will be cancelled. Don't get me wrong I've nothing against tennis as such, if people want to get together in private and play tennis I'm cool with that. I'm just not interested myself and don't see why it should be the lead item in every news bulletin. Even football doesn't get that kind of concentrated coverage.

Bollocks.  They’re STILL writing about football and footballers with none being played  >:(

You can easily ignore writing as almost all of it is confined to the back pages, but with shit like the Olympics/Wimbledon etc, they're regarded as main news by TV and radio.

Record the news and fast-forward through the sportsball, Iain Duncan Sith, the shitverts, etc.

rob

« Reply #78 on: 22 March, 2020, 04:44:56 pm »
In my 20 odd year career I have rarely worked from home.  I’m a little old fashioned and prefer to walk round the room and talk to people as things need doing.  We did do a test about 3 weeks ago and it went fine, which is good as we were told not to come back in last Sunday night. 

There’s about 90 people in the London office so the network has not been particularly stretched.  I do miss talking to people and already hate Slack.  I do find a few things a little less efficient as I have missed a few prices when trying to deal on behalf of a client.  It hasn’t helped that the markets I work in have gone a little thin in the last week.

We are trying to exchange on the house, move out and relocate at the moment.   There is a small chance that the schools being shut will make this a bit more efficient and, possibly, cheaper.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #79 on: 22 March, 2020, 08:35:51 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #80 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:36:15 pm »
This year's Bank of England stress test has been canned.  If you work in the banking industry this is like being given three months of your life back.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #81 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:50:47 pm »

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #82 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:52:33 pm »
McDonald's employs around 120,000 people in the UK, the majority of which are on zero-hours contracts.

The chain did not say whether its staff would continue to be paid

Hmmm....
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Davef

« Reply #83 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:56:18 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51999604
That is a big shock. It was bound to happen I suppose once the audaxes were cancelled. That has scuppered my “don’t worry about empty supermarkets eat McDonald’s” strategy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #84 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:57:42 pm »
That is a big shock. It was bound to happen I suppose once the audaxes were cancelled. That has scuppered my “don’t worry about empty supermarkets eat McDonald’s” strategy

IMO you shouldn’t be out anyway. YMMV.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #85 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:10:36 pm »

^^^^ This

Davef

« Reply #86 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:11:08 pm »

I am working hard on my photosynthesis techniques. Until I succeed I need to consume food. I thought drive through McDonald’s less interactive than Tesco’s.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #87 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:13:30 pm »

There goes my plan A for when all the local food merchants are shut and my lunch times are impossible to predict.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #88 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:24:37 pm »
I read that 30% of our food is bought in restaurants and take-aways.

So the supermarkets and food shops will have to ramp up a bit. Companies supplying to restaurants will suffer.

Click and collect: labour intensive
Home delivery: labour intensive
Customers pick stock and deliver it: the most efficient way of getting food to customers houses.

We wanted cheap and we've got it.
It is simpler than it looks.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #89 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:29:10 pm »
When out on (socially distanced) walks and rides over the weekend people have been very friendly. (From a distance :-) )

Local facebook groups are full of people offereing to help others out.

I'm genuinely hopeful that a positive outcome from this shitfest will be a kinder more caring society.

« Reply #90 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:49:45 pm »
I went on a mission to get SO more Lucozade and orange juice.  I thought I'd go to Tesco in Ciren since it's usually a better bet than any of the Swindon shops. 

The list of things they did not have at Tescos Ciren from No2Daughter was such that she actually said "if your co-op has loo roll, post it. I'm not even joking" and "it's a good job we live off chocolate because there IS NOTHING ELSE"

« Reply #91 on: 22 March, 2020, 11:24:16 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/mar/22/coronavirus-free-how-to-clean-your-mobile-phone

If only the Golgafrinchans had read the Guardian....      and a sensible reminder not to put it under running water  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #92 on: 23 March, 2020, 09:03:12 am »
It's actually got my son out riding his bike.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #93 on: 23 March, 2020, 10:14:38 am »
This year's Bank of England stress test has been canned.  If you work in the banking industry this is like being given three months of your life back.

It hasn't really been canned - it's happening in real time.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #94 on: 23 March, 2020, 10:16:55 am »
The view from my soon-to-be office last evening.

The view from my “office” by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #95 on: 23 March, 2020, 11:08:44 am »

It hasn't really been canned - it's happening in real time.

Seems kind of like celebrating the routine fire drill being called off while your office burns down around you.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #96 on: 23 March, 2020, 12:46:12 pm »
We're to treat everyone we come across as if they have it, it's like a game of the floor is lava except its people are lava...

The bonus in that is I've got an office to myself, the bonus isn't to me though it's to the colleagues who no longer have to cope with me in their office.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #97 on: 23 March, 2020, 03:20:43 pm »
I went on a mission to get SO more Lucozade and orange juice.  I thought I'd go to Tesco in Ciren since it's usually a better bet than any of the Swindon shops. 

The list of things they did not have at Tescos Ciren from No2Daughter was such that she actually said "if your co-op has loo roll, post it. I'm not even joking" and "it's a good job we live off chocolate because there IS NOTHING ELSE"

If she's in Ciren, Jolly nice on the road to Stroud has seasonal fruit and veg, eggs, milk and pheasant burgers.  It's farm shop prices though.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #98 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:54:26 pm »
Ssshh. It's a secret.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #99 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:57:35 pm »
Kemble. I'll let her know.