Author Topic: ***CoronaBonus***  (Read 64543 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: ***CoronaBonus***
« Reply #600 on: 27 April, 2021, 08:23:23 pm »
The pandemic has legitimized a generally felt desire for al fresco dining and drinking even when the weather is fresh, which in turn has provided the impetus to enable a minor redistribution of street space from parking to those activities.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #601 on: 03 May, 2021, 11:00:32 pm »
I had the pleasure of paying Gatwick airport £5 for the privilege of dropping Mrs Dan and her case off earlier.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #602 on: 25 May, 2021, 10:09:56 am »
Taking the cover off the parrot's cage every morning invariably set me snuffling and sneezing for half an hour.  Nowadays we have an argosy of masks swanning about the place, and MrsT gets her brecky without a sniffling ogre blowing hectolitres of snot and grousing on t'other side of the table.

Ditto, just now I've been catching up on filing prior to doing my revenue declaration for 2020, and now just have a sore back instead of a sore back and the sniffles.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #603 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:17:16 am »
The pandemic has legitimized a generally felt desire for al fresco dining and drinking even when the weather is fresh, which in turn has provided the impetus to enable a minor redistribution of street space from parking to those activities.

So assistant dog users, pram pushers, wheelchair users etc will have to navigate tables and chairs cluttering up the pavements rather than cars park on pavements...  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #604 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:23:39 am »
No. I'm talking about on-street parking in marked RPZ boxes, not random paveparking. The tables are taking the official parking places, just like they're sometimes taken by those bike-locker things.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #605 on: 27 May, 2021, 09:49:25 am »
Like these (I'm not sure if these are still there, this was 1 Oct last year)

It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #606 on: 27 May, 2021, 10:58:23 am »
Just like those, and many others similar.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #607 on: 27 May, 2021, 04:39:24 pm »
I had the pleasure of paying Gatwick airport £5 for the privilege of dropping Mrs Dan and her case off earlier.
I imagine the shuttle bus costs the same, or you could have dropped her at the Travelodge (other stops are available) for nothing.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #608 on: 27 May, 2021, 04:51:12 pm »
I imagine the shuttle bus costs the same, or you could have dropped her at the Travelodge (other stops are available) for nothing.

The train usually works, though it's a bit crap on a Sunday. By the time I'd realised we'd have been in the ANPR system and in any case trying to dodge the charge with alternative places wasn't going to make the trip any less stressful for her.

I'm not altogether against making car journeys less desirable, but it smelt a lot like a way of generating some revenue outside the ticket price rather than a way to recoup costs, manage demand, or be green.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #609 on: 02 June, 2021, 07:22:05 pm »
Crime fell in most places during lockdowns.
An analysis of crime reports from 27 cities in Europe, Asia and the Americas found overall urban crime fell by more than a third while lockdowns were in place and then steadily climbed back up when restrictions were lifted.

Robberies fell on average by 46%, and vehicle theft and daily assaults were down 39% and 35% respectively. Burglaries dropped by 28% overall, while more minor crimes such as pickpocketing and shoplifting fell by about 47% across the countries studied.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jun/02/urban-crime-plummets-during-lockdowns-cities-around-world

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #610 on: 02 June, 2021, 09:34:22 pm »
That's because all the burglars were furloughed.

« Reply #611 on: 19 June, 2021, 06:26:09 pm »
Bonanza for British cottage owners, hotels, campsites and Airbnb hosts as holiday travel restrictions bite

Rory Boland, Which? Travel Editor, says there are UK holidays to be had if you avoid the coast and the other most popular destinations
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #612 on: 18 October, 2021, 09:12:02 pm »
A classic Grauniadism:
Latvia closes schools and venus as curfew introduced

Whether that refers to an unexpected Baltic space programme or an equally unexpected Roman deity...

« Reply #613 on: 18 October, 2021, 10:02:26 pm »
She’s got it?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #614 on: 18 November, 2021, 11:25:32 am »
If the side-effects of the Pfizer Coronalurgi booster are a slightly achey arm and having the best night's zeds in years then this Unit says “Please Sir, can I have some MOAR?” :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #615 on: 14 December, 2021, 02:21:18 pm »
What vaccine did Santa have?

Mince Pfizer!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #616 on: 09 January, 2022, 10:59:41 am »
The village's Christmas lunch & knees-up for the aged - which, not feeling particularly aged* and not much liking the creaky-knees-up bit, we never go to - being cancelled due to Covid, we have just had the following delivered to our door: onion soup with croutons, turkey with spuds, mixed salad, cheese, 6" pretzels, some other kind of bread, a galette des rois each**, and a bottle of the local Pinot Gris (Cleebourg vineyard, one-time property of the Swedish crown, ye gods).

One will not be active this afternoon.

* unless physical labour is involved. Meh.
** and the bloody GP wants an HbA1c this week, the absolute bounder.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #617 on: 09 January, 2022, 12:55:08 pm »
And once we took the covers off it turned out not to be turkey but boiled ox-tongue with puréed horseradish, which I greatly prefer. Not so great for MrsT, who is vegetarian, so I have the same to look forward to tomorrow.

One is pogged.

ian

« Reply #618 on: 10 January, 2022, 10:01:14 am »
Probably less of a shock than being pegged.

« Reply #619 on: 10 January, 2022, 10:56:09 am »
'Pogged' ?  That's a term I've only ever heard from one other source.

As it was poorly defined we took it upon ourselves to do so. Being 'pogged' we decided was a measure of overeating, where 1 = full and 10 = throwing up.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #620 on: 10 January, 2022, 11:29:17 am »
It would need to go all the way up to 11 for a Mr Creosoting.

« Reply #621 on: 10 January, 2022, 11:30:08 am »
It would need to go all the way up to 11 for a Mr Creosoting.
;D
Rust never sleeps

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #622 on: 10 January, 2022, 11:46:39 am »
While I don’t claim it as a Yorkshireism, pogged is certainly a word that is well rooted in my vocabulary and oft used for the describing of a state of inactivity brought on by the over indulgence in the consumption of noms.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #623 on: 10 January, 2022, 11:56:35 am »
'Pogged' ?  That's a term I've only ever heard from one other source.

As it was poorly defined we took it upon ourselves to do so. Being 'pogged' we decided was a measure of overeating, where 1 = full and 10 = throwing up.

Yorkshire originally, I believe.  I first heard it from one of MrsT's numerous aunts and/or cousins.

On your poggitation scale I was about a 4.5 yesterday - nothing tectonic but definitely siestal.

« Reply #624 on: 10 January, 2022, 12:06:20 pm »
Ah, that all hangs together, my source was from Darrington, near Ponte.
Rust never sleeps