Author Topic: Knickers  (Read 11094 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Knickers
« Reply #50 on: 24 February, 2021, 06:11:13 am »

I'm informed that they are the drug-dealer's undercrackers of choice.

Who informed you?  Am wondering how that came up in conversation.

« Reply #51 on: 04 May, 2021, 09:10:20 pm »
Haven't used M&S for decades. Underwear from Uniqlo, especially their Heatech thermal stuff, now available in three grades of insulation.
I have some of that! But the sizes are different from the Uniqlo ones sold here. Mine were presents from MiL, who got worried by Mrs B talking about the (lacking) insulation of 19th century English houses. Posted from Japan.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #52 on: 04 May, 2021, 09:47:42 pm »
My mother worked till the 80s in the textile industry (until what remained of it vamoosed overseas), mostly as a lockstitcher, but I think she did a bit of everything, for stuff that was sold in places like BHS and C&A (remember those). It meant I grew up wearing wonky seconds. It wasn't great in the UK, low-paid piecework, long hours, poor occupational health, her fingers are messed up with arthritis. So if it was like that in the UK, it doesn't take much imagination to imagine what's it's like in Bangladesh or somewhere similar, making clothes that only retail for a few pounds in the developed world.
Yeah, but compare it with the alternatives & it's clear why young women queue up to work in clothes factories in Bangladesh. Much easier than farm work, & they get paid real money (& good money by local standards) for a steady job, instead of working unpaid on a microscopic family farm, perhaps supplemented by an unreliable pittance for seasonal work on bigger farms.

And it's their money.

The boom in the Bangladeshi textiles industry & millions of jobs for women it has created are credited, among other things, with Bangladesh having overtaken India in quite a few measures of welfare & gender equality, despite still being poorer per head.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ian

« Reply #53 on: 05 May, 2021, 09:54:45 am »
Yes, but that's the less-shit-than-it-could-be excuse that enables us to get cheap stuff in the developed world and then wear it once while feeling like we're doing someone a favour.

« Reply #54 on: 05 May, 2021, 02:14:40 pm »
Haven't used M&S for decades. Underwear from Uniqlo, especially their Heatech thermal stuff, now available in three grades of insulation.
I have some of that! But the sizes are different from the Uniqlo ones sold here. Mine were presents from MiL, who got worried by Mrs B talking about the (lacking) insulation of 19th century English houses. Posted from Japan.
Sizing is different in other markets. I once bought a shirt in Japan, the sleeves didn't reach my wrists!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #55 on: 05 May, 2021, 03:14:10 pm »
It's sizing and shaping.

Clothes are sold to fit local folk and the market fits local anthropometrics.

I've grumbled elsewhere how trousers etc have evolved over the past few decades.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 05 May, 2021, 05:05:53 pm »
Depends also on the clothes and local market. Western style clothes might be Western sized and shaped, cos they're made for Western markets, in cases where the local market is too small and/or poor or prefers local styles.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #57 on: 05 May, 2021, 05:11:30 pm »
I eventually found jeans that fit me by asking a friend on one of his (then) many trips to the US.  :-[ A well known brand and at least half the price I would have paid in the U.K. I’m not sure what I’ll do once I’ve worn through the ones I have, hopefully I will have lost sufficient weight for U.K. sourced sizes to fit me.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #58 on: 05 May, 2021, 05:25:29 pm »
Sizing is different in other markets. I once bought a shirt in Japan, the sleeves didn't reach my wrists!

As I'm not especially tall, the far-east is the perfect shopping ground for me.

« Reply #59 on: 06 May, 2021, 11:35:28 am »
It's sizing and shaping.

I've grumbled elsewhere how trousers etc have evolved over the past few decades.
Clothes sold in Japan are shaped for slimmer people than here .  .  .

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #60 on: 06 May, 2021, 06:21:19 pm »
It's sizing and shaping.

Clothes sold in Japan are shaped for slimmer people than here .  .  .

I am not surprised.

BRITAIN'S clothes have become MUCH 'paunchier' to suit the paunchy people.

ian

« Reply #61 on: 06 May, 2021, 06:27:21 pm »
I seem to be the archetypal Indonesian.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #62 on: 14 May, 2021, 11:55:38 pm »
I have quite a collection of kecks in my keck drawer. Mostly, M & S. I haven't heard of a lot of these new-fangled companies, eg Sloggi.

I did buy 3 pairs of expensive silver-plated (or something) knickers for quick drying when I went on my Pembrokeshire Coastal Path walk 3 years ago. I hardly ever wear those because of the cost, and I don't need stuff to dry quickly when I am at home.

I may have to go out and buy a lot of new clothes at some point - I'm currently on the weight-loss cusp, I think. I've lost over 3 stone in the past 9 or 10 months and my underwear still fits reasonably well. Apropos fboab's comment re allowing one's "junk" (I think that is a current term I heard somewhere) to swing free, my "briefs" are now sufficiently loose-fitting around the thighs that, after a bike ride, I often have to carefully replace my genitals into their proper place. This can cause hilarity, depending on the company.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #63 on: 15 May, 2021, 12:30:00 am »
I haven't heard of a lot of these new-fangled companies, eg Sloggi.

My Sloggi knicks are over 20 years old.

My 'collection' dates from 1984-2019. Samples from 1990-2005 have succumbed to elastic failure.

« Reply #64 on: 15 May, 2021, 07:21:13 am »
I've recently bought several pairs of Step One pants. Very comfortable indeed.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #65 on: 15 May, 2021, 08:37:34 am »
Bad joke coming in 5,6,7,8...
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #66 on: 15 May, 2021, 01:29:51 pm »
Bad joke coming in 5,6,7,8...
You may jest, but they are very comfortable.  :-D

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #67 on: 15 May, 2021, 02:27:30 pm »
I haven't heard of a lot of these new-fangled companies, eg Sloggi.

My Sloggi knicks are over 20 years old.

My 'collection' dates from 1984-2019. Samples from 1990-2005 have succumbed to elastic failure.

I've been wearing Sloggi pants since at least the mid 1990s. Non-frilly, actually cover your bum and not too scratchy.

I do however need to get some more as my main batch is dying after many years.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #68 on: 15 May, 2021, 05:25:46 pm »
Sloggi launched in 1979...

« Reply #69 on: 16 May, 2021, 12:14:24 am »
I remember meeting a Swedish woman when travelling around Turkey in 1986 who had Sloggi knickers. IIRC all her underwear was Sloggi. Said they were very comfortable & lasted well.

I think that was my first encounter with Sloggi. Never heard of 'em before. Odd that I still remember it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #70 on: 16 May, 2021, 02:29:06 pm »
I might well have bought the Sloggis I have in the '80s.

I said goodbye to one of my 1984 BHS pairs last night. The hole was getting too big.

I am sad...

« Reply #71 on: 16 May, 2021, 02:47:39 pm »
I said goodbye to one of my 1984 BHS pairs last night. The hole was getting too big.
Needle and thread? Patch? :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #72 on: 16 May, 2021, 03:06:29 pm »
Pitchfork? Bonfire?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #73 on: 16 May, 2021, 04:07:58 pm »
PeopleTree knickers are Fairtrade AND organic. Mine appear to be indestructible. Although at £8 a pair they blummin’ should be!
Milk please, no sugar.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #74 on: 16 May, 2021, 06:28:02 pm »

No good if the fabric around the hole has worn thin and seams might cause painful chafing.

I had to be brave... :'(