Author Topic: ACME 'Who's Entered What' Audax Thread  (Read 21731 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: ACME 'Who's Entered What' Audax Thread
« Reply #150 on: 12 July, 2021, 12:43:38 pm »
I'm riding on Saturday. I was surprised to discover this will be my first A&S400 since 2015.

Successful completion will result in my first Essex SR series.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #151 on: 12 July, 2021, 05:30:47 pm »
I rode A and S Saturday just gone solo ,weather was good apart from heavy rain up near wells but wind was kind .Route is all good with no problems I rode around in 22 hours overall which was ok .One thing to note though is Wells was super super busy and the chance of fish and chips was low unless you wanted to wait an hour !! However fresh hot donuts did the trick instead !! I missed McDonald’s at Barton mills by 15 mins as it closes at midnight .....I’m very happy to report this completes my first Essex SR 👍👌

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #152 on: 12 July, 2021, 07:38:37 pm »
I rode A and S Saturday just gone solo ,weather was good apart from heavy rain up near wells but wind was kind .Route is all good with no problems I rode around in 22 hours overall which was ok .One thing to note though is Wells was super super busy and the chance of fish and chips was low unless you wanted to wait an hour !! However fresh hot donuts did the trick instead !! I missed McDonald’s at Barton mills by 15 mins as it closes at midnight .....I’m very happy to report this completes my first Essex SR 👍👌

Well done on your Essex SR - it's the only one that counts ;)! Wells is either super-busy (ridden there on a bank hol!) or all shut-up early, if the weather is a bit rubbish, which is why we favour Melton Constable as a dinner option - 5* bus shelter too, (as used in the wind and rain on our DIY last September).

felstedrider

« Reply #153 on: 12 July, 2021, 07:50:14 pm »
Sacked off my plans to ride in circles in the North West this weekend (long story).  Rather than lay around sulking figured I’d ride this instead.  I think I’ll need to ride briskly as I’m due to be useful on Sunday.

Already technically done my Essex SR but this will replace my DIY 400 with a proper ACME event.

« Reply #154 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:34:49 pm »
I rode A and S Saturday just gone solo

Is A&S still available to ride as a perm? I understood that Herman has retired from running perms and none of his rides appear on the AUK website. I suppose riding them as a DIY would be an option...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #155 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:46:37 pm »
I rode A and S Saturday just gone solo

Is A&S still available to ride as a perm? I understood that Herman has retired from running perms and none of his rides appear on the AUK website. I suppose riding them as a DIY would be an option...
Yes, I have taken over Herman's Manningtree Permanents.
I've just submitted the G&YF and A&S documentation to apply for them to be made available for electronic entry with the option for GPS validation.  They are currently paper based with postal exchange of cards & route sheet.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #156 on: 13 July, 2021, 06:40:20 am »
Yes, I have taken over Herman's Manningtree Permanents.
I've just submitted the G&YF and A&S documentation to apply for them to be made available for electronic entry with the option for GPS validation.  They are currently paper based with postal exchange of cards & route sheet.

Excellent!  :thumbsup:

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #157 on: 13 July, 2021, 08:50:56 am »
Seems I am on for an Essex SR with Essex r&r, asparagus and strawberries, fenland friends and acme grand.

Forecast for A&S looks great, sunny all day, but not to hot up in Suffolk and norfolk

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #158 on: 15 July, 2021, 06:29:04 pm »
I’m on A&S this weekend.  Legs still a bit tired , lacking zip, from last weeks LLEL.  Suspect a full value outing. Which is fine. Forecast looks a bit warmer than I’d like but the extra warmth overnight will be welcome.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #159 on: 18 July, 2021, 03:11:08 pm »
Boom. That's SR series #7 (I think) and Essex SR #1.

Time for a nap 💤
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

felstedrider

« Reply #160 on: 18 July, 2021, 04:10:11 pm »
Decent day out.  On my own for a while and then met up with Wycombewheeler and Colin (?).  We worked together to Barton Mills where WW went off to his hotel room.  Didn’t feel too hot riding due to the Northerly wind but it was hot when stopped.

I was a bit slower than I was 2 years ago but reasonably happy overall.   

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #161 on: 19 July, 2021, 09:51:09 am »
Decent day out.  On my own for a while and then met up with Wycombewheeler and Colin (?).  We worked together to Barton Mills where WW went off to his hotel room.  Didn’t feel too hot riding due to the Northerly wind but it was hot when stopped.

I was a bit slower than I was 2 years ago but reasonably happy overall.
Nice riding together,  I knew I was slower than 2 years ago,  but I think everyone was,  maybe due to that north wind, maybe because people had been training harder for PBP  I was slightly quicker from wells to Barton mills, but much slower to wells

Eddington  127miles, 170km

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #162 on: 20 July, 2021, 06:03:16 pm »
Next up is the Essex R&R 200k and A Little Essex R&R 100k on the 7th August.
Anyone fancy joining me for a route check of the 200k on the 31st July or 1st August?

I might go round the 100k route this coming weekend if it's not too much of a washout.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #163 on: 20 July, 2021, 09:44:24 pm »
Next up is the Essex R&R 200k and A Little Essex R&R 100k on the 7th August.
Anyone fancy joining me for a route check of the 200k on the 31st July or 1st August?

I might go round the 100k route this coming weekend if it's not too much of a washout.

I might be tempted as I’m not sure I can do the actual day.
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #164 on: 21 July, 2021, 10:23:47 am »
Hey Huggy - I could be tempted. Like the publican, I can't make the day itself.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

felstedrider

« Reply #165 on: 21 July, 2021, 10:41:03 am »
Riding on the day as I'm going away the following morning.   Unfortunately I will miss the social.

felstedrider

« Reply #166 on: 08 August, 2021, 09:56:40 pm »
Enjoyable R&R 200 yesterday.  It was really quite damp for the first few hours to the point where we were  stood in a shop doorway in Burnham on Crouch not wanting to move.  One member of our group of 3 turned for home when he passed quite close.  I was tempted.

I avoided going home later on despite being a mile from my front door.  It was warm and sunny for the last couple of hours and I cheered up. 

The finish control had me slightly emotional having not sat down with my friends eating pizza and cake after a long ride for what seemed like a very long time.  Thanks to Huggy and family for putting all this on.

« Reply #167 on: 08 August, 2021, 11:10:50 pm »
Good ride on the 100k too, and yes, I enjoyed the pizza. Apparently, or so I was told at the finish, I'm some kind of weather god; I did need a waterproof for a couple of short periods in the early miles, but then I stuck it in my back pocket and was fine. Unlike those riding five minutes ahead and five behind it would seem ;D Even the volunteer controller at Abberton had looked at the sky and warned me I was for it in the final miles - but I stayed dry then too.

Next up is the Wormingford events in two weeks, which we being advertised at yesterday's HQ.