Author Topic: Ordered on Ebay, delivered by Amazon Prime  (Read 1878 times)

Ordered on Ebay, delivered by Amazon Prime
« on: 01 May, 2021, 12:02:40 pm »
Yesterday we ordered a small electrical appliance on Ebay from a well established seller and was offered 2nd class Royal Mail delivery expected on Thursday. This morning the appliance was delivered by Amazon Prime.

Doesn't seem to be fraudulent.

Does this happen a lot? Why does it happen?  etc etc.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Ordered on Ebay, delivered by Amazon Prime
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2021, 12:21:09 pm »
If you're selling things on Amazon, you might as well list them on eBay, too.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2021, 12:22:32 pm »
I've had that too, stuff where I paid for royal mail shipping getting delivered by the rainforest

I think that so many companies got a fleabay and rainforest shop front along with their normal website and even farcebook and etsy shops.

So it might just be packing confusion or they pick what ever is cheapest or when the next pickup is due.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2021, 12:23:17 pm »
Yep - I've had lots of stuff bought from ebay where Amazon does the fulfilment and/or delivery.  No problems . . . in fact much more efficient than the direct supply ebay sellers.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2021, 12:25:36 pm »
And because of that, do check if they got shops elsewhere than their website. I've saved 5 quid by ordering from their ebay page and shipping was cheaper too.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2021, 12:27:17 pm »
Price arbitrage. They charged you more than someone else was selling on Amazon, plus eBay fees, plus a margin.

Yep - I've had lots of stuff bought from ebay where Amazon does the fulfilment and/or delivery.  No problems . . . in fact much more efficient than the direct supply ebay sellers.

I don’t believe Amazon knowingly does fulfilment for other platforms.

« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2021, 04:39:52 pm »
A recent ebay purchase arrived in an Amazon box but the carrier was not Amazon.
Move Faster and Bake Things

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2021, 04:53:05 pm »
Price arbitrage. They charged you more than someone else was selling on Amazon, plus eBay fees, plus a margin.

I don’t believe Amazon knowingly does fulfilment for other platforms.

I think what is happening is that the merchant is getting the order via ebay and then using his merchant account with Amazon for fulfilment/delivery - i.e. Amazon isn't actually working directly with ebay.   Makes sense to me.

AND as suggested it's worth looking at whether a merchant has his own shop, and ebay shopfront or an Amazon shopfront - odd as it may seem I've found that the ebay shop is very often cheaper than the merchant's own online shop (they obviously get better terms than the average ebay punter, but even so it's an overhead) - conversely and not surprisingly the Amazon route is more expensive.

« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2021, 11:41:10 pm »
I’m wrong. Having Amazon ship stuff sold through a different store is a thing:
https://sell.amazon.co.uk/fulfilment-by-amazon/fba-multi-channel.html

« Reply #9 on: 04 May, 2021, 06:56:08 am »
The service is Amazon Shipping:
https://ship.amazon.co.uk/requestinfo

Amazon is now an end-to-end parcel carrier, competing head on with Yodel, Hermes, DPD, Royal Mail, etc. 

Their main focus is on marketplace sellers who are sending more than 20 parcels per day.  They are not (yet) targeting the big retailers - who may be wary of using them - or consumers.

They started doing it underneath the radar a few years ago but it was officially launched about 18 months ago and has been building up momentum since.