Author Topic: Happy pride month!  (Read 5784 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: Happy pride month!
« Reply #50 on: 07 June, 2021, 07:39:59 pm »
Why do people feel it necessary to tell LGBTIQ+ people what their views are on pronouns in a Pride Month thread?

Yeah... This.

I think there are some people in here open to being told "the reason misgendering doesn't bother you is because of privilege" and taking a lesson from that, and others who insist that pronouns don't matter cos pronouns don't bother them.

As a queer cisgender person I do try to follow the lead of trans and nonbinary people as a group want done (not all, cos not all agree on what to do), and indeed try and explain reasons why pronoun declarations are useful. Maybe it'll stick, maybe it won't, but I don't think it does harm and it can make some people's lives a lot happier/easier which is no bad thing.

« Reply #51 on: 07 June, 2021, 11:02:16 pm »
Why do people feel it necessary to tell LGBTIQ+ people what their views are on pronouns in a Pride Month thread?
Sorry. I mentioned it as something I thought was a straightforward positive at my work!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #52 on: 08 June, 2021, 08:11:51 am »
Sorry. I mentioned it as something I thought was a straightforward positive at my work!

My comment wasn't aimed at you.  You weren't trying to impose your views on the thread.  You were being positive!   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #53 on: 12 June, 2021, 08:30:15 am »
I'm all for positivity. And bright colours. And happiness, for June and onwards.

« Reply #54 on: 15 June, 2021, 08:19:20 pm »
I know it's a stereotype but I cannot believe there was any Queer Eye involved in this Pride Celebration kit design:

(I take full credit for the fugly shoes)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #55 on: 20 June, 2021, 05:33:00 pm »
Is is just my imagination or has the progress bar thingy on Flickr's webby SCIENCE recently changed from plain blue to a rainbow colour scheme?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #56 on: 22 June, 2021, 04:58:16 pm »
Worlds longest pride cyclepath in Utrecht

“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #57 on: 22 June, 2021, 08:05:32 pm »
A question about relationship nouns.
What happens where there are gendered words, but no gender-free word for the same relationship.

We can use 'child' instead of 'son' or 'daughter', for instance, but what about 'aunt' or 'niece'?

The child of one of my siblings has come out as non-binary, so it's fairly close to home. I only see them very rarely, but it would be nice to know the correct terms if I need to refer to them.

Thanks
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #58 on: 22 June, 2021, 08:09:38 pm »
Nibling seems to be the word that we're standardising on for niephews.  Not sure about the other way round.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #59 on: 22 June, 2021, 08:30:47 pm »
What happens where there are gendered words, but no gender-free word for the same relationship.

We can use 'child' instead of 'son' or 'daughter', for instance, but what about 'aunt' or 'niece'?

The child of one of my siblings has come out as non-binary, so it's fairly close to home. I only see them very rarely, but it would be nice to know the correct terms if I need to refer to them.

Thanks

If all else fails. Their name.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 22 June, 2021, 08:33:06 pm »

Thanks

If all else fails. Their name.

But check it's the one they actually use, rather than whatever their parents call them.  Parents are fairly rubbish at respecting their own children's names, even when there isn't a risk of misgendering.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #61 on: 22 June, 2021, 08:40:29 pm »
But check it's the one they actually use, rather than whatever their parents call them.  Parents are fairly rubbish at respecting their own children's names, even when there isn't a risk of misgendering.

Ah yes, that's a given!

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #62 on: 24 June, 2021, 10:15:19 pm »
I've seen Auncle used by a nonbinary friend to refer to themselves in relation to their niblings.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #63 on: 29 June, 2021, 09:02:46 am »
Yesterday I edited a speech-to-text transcription of a presentation given by someone from a Manchester-based charity for LGBT people given on behalf of a major financial institution for the occasion of Pride month (complete with said institution's logo done out in rainbow stripes in the background). The speech-to-text software was in its element: one speaker, very clear audio, and scripted, which tends to save the software from getting confused by too many hesitations. It performed very well. Except for one thing: it absolutely refused to recognize the word "queer" on any of the several times it was used.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 29 June, 2021, 12:25:34 pm »
What's it like on swear words?  'Queer', along with 'bisexual', often finds itself on the naughty words list while lesbian/gay/transgender are permitted.

Additionally, some of the naive younger QUILTBAGers have missed its reclamatory use by Old People[1] and have fallen for the transphobe "queer is a slur" rhetoric.

[1] ie. anyone over the age of about 30.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #65 on: 29 June, 2021, 12:54:05 pm »
The “suggested words” thing on this FruitCo fondleslab learns words from the lexicon of the typist, but flatly refuses to suggest “bellend”, “bonerfication” or “Prudhomme”.

It doesn’t do anything with a “č” in it either, which is a PITA when you've got two of them contending for the GC, but is quite happy to suggest “Motörhead”.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #66 on: 29 June, 2021, 03:50:24 pm »
What's it like on swear words?  'Queer', along with 'bisexual', often finds itself on the naughty words list while lesbian/gay/transgender are permitted.

Additionally, some of the naive younger QUILTBAGers have missed its reclamatory use by Old People[1] and have fallen for the transphobe "queer is a slur" rhetoric.

[1] ie. anyone over the age of about 30.
The nice young presenter didn't swear at all, but I know from past use it recognises at least the most common (and strongest) swear words. I don't think she used the word bisexual either, but I'd have to go back and check to be sure. Nevertheless, it did occur to me that some sort of deliberate omission was happening (by the software not the presenter).

Your second point is, curiously, almost the opposite of what she said, which was that many people find 'queer' an offensive word because of its use as an insult in the past, but it has been reclaimed by the younger generation and is a valid identity all to itself (so presumably distinct from gay etc). She looked under 30 to me (there was video) but of course the camera always lies.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #67 on: 29 June, 2021, 08:18:42 pm »
Your second point is, curiously, almost the opposite of what she said, which was that many people find 'queer' an offensive word because of its use as an insult in the past, but it has been reclaimed by the younger generation and is a valid identity all to itself (so presumably distinct from gay etc). She looked under 30 to me (there was video) but of course the camera always lies.

The reclamatory use seems pretty standard amongst Gen X and Millenials, and indeed I use it that way to describe myself.  It was certainly well-established by the time I discovered LGBT communities in the mid 1990s.

It's some of today's teenagers who seem to have missed that.  There was an outbreak of them shouting "'Queer' is a slur!" at each other on those videoy parts of the internets that teenagers inhabit a while back.  AFAIK that has its origins in TERFery, presumably on the basis that undermining the use of inclusive umbrella terms suits their binary essentialist divide-and-conquer agenda.

Similarly,  there are a lot of younger people under the mistaken impression that 'bisexual' implies a binary view of gender, rather than just being the default term amongst us old farts for being attracted to people of more than one gender.  I'm all for 'omni' or 'pan' being better terms, it's just that to my 1990s ears they sound a little bit too wanky.  Language evolves.

« Reply #68 on: 30 June, 2021, 02:15:00 pm »
I asked someone on Twitter about this as he'd used "queer" about himself and heh echoed what Kim said. He also added that he likes it because he is trans and bi and it covers both of these things.

While we're discussing language, may I ask: if I say "I am straight" is this the same as "I am heterosexual" or does it imply cis as well? Just curious.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #69 on: 30 June, 2021, 03:26:32 pm »
While we're discussing language, may I ask: if I say "I am straight" is this the same as "I am heterosexual" or does it imply cis as well? Just curious.

That's how I'd read it. (90s disclaimer applies - I'm a veteran of the "Wait, you mean we include straight people now?" adding-the-'T' era).

'Cishet' is a term, though I mostly encounter it in expressions of queer exasperation at certain aspects of heteronormative behaviour (eg. sportsball-based rutting rituals, gender reveal parties, expecting one's partner not to have friends of the opposite sex, and the like).

« Reply #70 on: 30 June, 2021, 04:16:34 pm »

That's how I'd read it. (90s disclaimer applies - I'm a veteran of the "Wait, you mean we include straight people now?" adding-the-'T' era).

'Cishet' is a term, though I mostly encounter it in expressions of queer exasperation at certain aspects of heteronormative behaviour (eg. sportsball-based rutting rituals, gender reveal parties, expecting one's partner not to have friends of the opposite sex, and the like).
Thank you.
I like cishet in that it allows me to state both privileges succinctly and then shut up.