Author Topic: Damon Peacock  (Read 14138 times)

Re: Damon Peacock
« Reply #100 on: 24 June, 2021, 05:53:32 pm »
Tragic news and a great loss to the worldwide audax community. I was fortunate to meet Damon on a few occasions in UK, Ireland and in France and he immediately left a deep impression on me of someone who cared passionately about cycling, but perhaps more importantly, those who took part in these crazy events and understanding something of their story and what brought them to that moment, beautifully captured on film.

I actually learnt of his passing just today via the Adrian Hands Society, of which he was their seventh member!

RIP Damon and condolences to Heather, his family and friends. You will be very much missed.

« Reply #101 on: 28 June, 2021, 10:05:07 am »
Oh no, that's such terrible news. :(

I think we must've met at a few events but I didn't really know Damon.

I've a tonne of his films in youtube favourites though because he used to film the Mersey Roads 24hr and things like PBP and Pendle and I was always looking for info/tips.

He captured a bit of my team when I won back in 2013 - I never knew how stressful it was for them until I saw his video - he gave me a new appreciation for the role of the support crews with his short film and I still get goosebumps watching it and thinking back to the race (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCXDeORNHg).

RIP Damon

JJ

« Reply #102 on: 29 June, 2021, 06:21:10 pm »
Oh no!
I remember a genial giant with a camera.  A really nice man.
Thinking of Heather.

« Reply #103 on: 02 July, 2021, 09:20:01 am »
Damon’s funeral service will be on Tuesday 1.30pm 6th July 2021 at Much Hoole Woodland Burial Ground PR4 4TD, followed by burial within the grounds beneath an oak tree.  The service will be at the Chapel within the Burial Ground, where space is limited due to Covid, so it will also be livestreamed on https://www.funeralstreaming.co.uk/viewing-room/12606/    This is easily accessible either live or after, no passwords or anything to sign up to.
The gathering afterwards is at 3.30pm at the Ley Inn, Clayton-le-Woods PR6 7EU.  Please come along to meet family & friends and share stories. 
It will be useful to know numbers for both, so if you contact me on HeatherSwiftPersonal@outlook.com  or text 07907 864014 I’d be grateful.
It’s family flowers only, however donations much appreciated to MIND and CALM charities, or sponsor a tree at The Woodland Trust.
There’s no dress code – wear whatever feels comfortable, especially if it’s something that Damon would recognise you in.
We want this occasion to very much be about remembering and celebrating the life he lived, the friends he made, and the things he achieved as a hedge-layer, tree-planter, cyclist, skier, walker, quizzer and video-maker. 

« Reply #104 on: 06 July, 2021, 12:52:27 pm »
Just giving this a bump for today at 1.30pm

RIP Damon and Best wishes to you, Heather.

Peter

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #105 on: 06 July, 2021, 03:34:07 pm »
Watched most of it: very nicely done service I thought. About 50 or 60 seemed to be watching online. I only chatted to him on WCW and LEL but it was always nice to catch up.

😢
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #106 on: 06 July, 2021, 09:53:40 pm »
Watched over two hours.
Very moving service.

felstedrider

« Reply #107 on: 06 July, 2021, 09:57:29 pm »
Watching in the office wasn’t a good idea.  I had to disappear to the kitchen a couple of times.

« Reply #108 on: 07 July, 2021, 03:08:43 pm »
I didn't know Damon, but I had met him at PBP 2019 where I talked with him and Heather at the start and then later on day 3 sometime when he was quick to point the camera and me and my mate Phil to ask us for some thoughts...

I did know of Damon though, through the many videos of his that I had watched over and over whilst leading up to PBP, and his videos on the Mersey Roads which have inspired me onwards into time trialing.

I am very saddened to learn of his passing, and my thoughts are with Heather and Damon's family.

I've watched the funeral service and it was very moving, but great to learn about all the good Damon had done in his life, and hear from the many people he touched.

Cheers Damon.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #109 on: 08 July, 2021, 09:34:01 pm »
I've been thinking about this for several days after hearing the news.  My most abiding memory is of Damon and Heather handing up sponges to riders on the Mersey Roads 24.  It got very hot on the second day and I was riding on fumes having to recover from losing miles in the night.  No one asked him to be there, but he had turned out because he knew what it was like and he knew he could make a difference.  A true gentleman whose memory will live on.  Thank you Damon.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)