Author Topic: Mersey Roads 24 2021  (Read 8192 times)

Re: Mersey Roads 24 2021
« Reply #25 on: 16 July, 2021, 09:43:11 am »
I shall be there supporting Mr ZZ.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #26 on: 17 July, 2021, 06:27:44 am »
Riders, check emails/the MR24 Facebook page
Unfortunately we have found there are traffic lights on the Battlefield leg of the course so we won't be able to use it. Instead we will repeat the Espley-Shawbirch-Espley leg an extra 2 times. Updated course details can be downloaded now.

Hope everyone has a great event and I'm sorry not to be able to see you there
Cheers
Jon
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #27 on: 18 July, 2021, 03:20:37 am »
Zigzag is so regular round the night circuit, he's putting several atomic clocks to shame.

« Reply #28 on: 18 July, 2021, 09:26:04 am »
He's doing very well, in 3rd and close to 2nd.

looks like a few drop outs, Mike Broadwith and Johnny Shubert .

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #29 on: 18 July, 2021, 11:27:22 am »
On the finishing circuit.  He and another rider are neck and neck for 2nd and 3rd, with 1st at a comfortable advantage.  37 riders left in the race, or probably fewer as I suspect at least one has packed soon after reaching the circuit.   The women's race is neck and neck between 43 and 63, with 53 also very strong.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #30 on: 18 July, 2021, 04:32:30 pm »
Provisional results are out

The winner did 520
Rimas got 5th with 489
T0by did 459
Akin did an extremely creditable 412 on his first go (of many I'm sure  ;) )
Cygnet suffered but stayed to clock 380 and picks up the team win
My erstwhile clubmate snuck in just over 400, which is pleasing for him but leaves my record safe for another year  :smug:
The leading two women did 490 and 484, which are the first ever female distances over 20 mph  :D :thumbsup: :D

Congratulations all on some stunning rides on a very hot weekend.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #31 on: 18 July, 2021, 07:12:26 pm »
Chapeau to all the riders - some great results there on what must have been a tough one in the heat.

Tight at the top of the women’s competition!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #32 on: 18 July, 2021, 11:43:27 pm »
Massive chapeau Rimas, and other riders.
Id like to hear the breakdown of how it went when you have caught your breath and had a good kip, particularly interested in the dropping heart rate on your strava data.
Great job.
often lost.

cygnet

« Reply #33 on: 19 July, 2021, 03:36:21 am »
Thanks Karla (and all the marshalls)
It was nice to see you and other familiar faces out on course.

Mileage-wise I had my worst ever performance (excluding the one I abandoned), yet I'm satisfied given the lack of training (Multiple excuses/reasons are available...) and the heat.

A tactical time-out at 12hrs was followed 7hrs later by a less tactical need to "shut my eyes or risk falling off the bike" At that point I abandoned any hopes of saving MY ride and was only concerned with getting to the Finishing Circuit for my club team. That ride up the A41 was terrifying.

Once on the Industrial Estate initially there was some shade and a breeze on the N-S downwards slope (ditching the aero helmet also helped, should have done that from the start maybe) that rallied me and I became determined to ride to the end, mostly out of pride/to do justice to my club mates and support, but also sneaking myself back over the 373mile mark. The last two hours it felt like how I imagine turbo training inside an industrial oven while using a hair-dryer instead of a fan would feel like.

(My body clock is a bit messed up!!)

« Reply #34 on: 19 July, 2021, 07:40:38 am »

I was helping at the unsupported riders tent during the night at Prees helping 4 riders including a young guy called Jac Lewis 24 years old youngest rider never done a TT over 25 managed 475  :thumbsup: defo one to watch for the future.
Prees from 7.30 onwards was very busy traffic wise and made me question if I ever want to do it again .
Well done to all who raced was super hard conditions

« Reply #35 on: 19 July, 2021, 08:26:50 am »
Well done to all. A phenomenal feat of endurance.

« Reply #36 on: 19 July, 2021, 04:26:35 pm »
Was my first 24hr TT (done a couple 25s and one 100) and can say it was definitely hard. I've been doing audaxes for about 3 years now, so am accustomed to doing long distances of course, but not having the stops at CO-OPs to devour meal deals and coffees was a big change. Heat wasn't ideal, but I definitely fared better than most.

Had two big low moments - the first being my clip on aero bars snapping about 4 miles in, but I kept cool and asked my supporters to hand me strips of gaffa tape and mangaed to tape the bars back together while riding. The second was at about 3am when I was spewing out my guts for 5 minuteson the side of the road - probably due to a mixture of the caffine pills/energy drinks/lack of proper food.

Had an immense recover though with 4 hours easing back into it and then was eventually smashing around the finishing circuit in good form.

Fueling mostly consisted of High5 drinks, rice cakes (with bacon/egg/soy sauce), and energy bars - then gels and jelly babies for the last 6 hours.

My main goal was to break my uni's club record (442.66miles set in 1966), but it seems I managed to also get 4th place overall and provisionally first audax with 487.7mi (correct results have changed distances a bit)

If anyone here was yelling at me on the finishing circuit, then thank you! Supporters were definitely what kept me hammering towards the end.

« Reply #37 on: 19 July, 2021, 05:45:39 pm »
Some serious numbers this year. Well done to all. And what a feat for 2 women to ride over 480 miles! Gutting for the woman who came second - a performance that would win in any other year.

I was helping at the unsupported riders tent during the night at Prees helping 4 riders including a young guy called Jac Lewis 24 years old youngest rider never done a TT over 25 managed 475  :thumbsup: defo one to watch for the future.

Jac isn't entirely new to long distance though - https://www.bbc.co.uk/cymrufyw/56821432
Sorry, I can't figure out how to get the English version (there may not be one) - basically he did a 'triple everesting' on the Easter weekend - 330 miles and 84000 feet of climbing in a total of 58 hours (39 hours riding) to raise money for the Alzheimer's Society 

« Reply #38 on: 19 July, 2021, 06:19:28 pm »
Thanks Jasmine!

Google Translate gives a rather approximate version (I posted a link just now but it failed).

Congrats T.J.!!!

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #39 on: 19 July, 2021, 06:38:41 pm »
Was my first 24hr TT (done a couple 25s and one 100) and can say it was definitely hard. I've been doing audaxes for about 3 years now, so am accustomed to doing long distances of course, but not having the stops at CO-OPs to devour meal deals and coffees was a big change. Heat wasn't ideal, but I definitely fared better than most.

Had two big low moments - the first being my clip on aero bars snapping about 4 miles in, but I kept cool and asked my supporters to hand me strips of gaffa tape and mangaed to tape the bars back together while riding. The second was at about 3am when I was spewing out my guts for 5 minuteson the side of the road - probably due to a mixture of the caffine pills/energy drinks/lack of proper food.

Had an immense recover though with 4 hours easing back into it and then was eventually smashing around the finishing circuit in good form.

Fueling mostly consisted of High5 drinks, rice cakes (with bacon/egg/soy sauce), and energy bars - then gels and jelly babies for the last 6 hours.

My main goal was to break my uni's club record (442.66miles set in 1966), but it seems I managed to also get 4th place overall and provisionally first audax with 487.7mi (correct results have changed distances a bit)

If anyone here was yelling at me on the finishing circuit, then thank you! Supporters were definitely what kept me hammering towards the end.

That was a seriously impressive ride and you looked amazingly calm, controlled and FAST out on course.  Chapeau!!!

(I was the guy with the silver motorbike and the cowbell on the finishing circuit.)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 19 July, 2021, 06:44:14 pm »
Prees from 7.30 onwards was very busy traffic wise and made me question if I ever want to do it again .
Well done to all who raced was super hard conditions
Good work Mr basset.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 19 July, 2021, 06:53:33 pm »
Official results:
https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/race-report/22059?fbclid=IwAR2W1AyUT59kBiotTfH6TC_G_PRsimv6EUT9eR8bG-axdPd6L-cCSSOsSIA#anchor
(although probably not completely final, based on previous experience)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #42 on: 20 July, 2021, 07:46:30 am »

That was a seriously impressive ride and you looked amazingly calm, controlled and FAST out on course.  Chapeau!!!

(I was the guy with the silver motorbike and the cowbell on the finishing circuit.)

I can't say I actually remember seeing you, but was probably just a bit too focused. I certainly remember hearing some cowbell though!

« Reply #43 on: 20 July, 2021, 09:06:58 am »
Its taken me around a decade to finally enter the 24hr, Im not a racer and don't have quick genes. Also, more important, my lifestyle dosen't always support sporting performance. Have always wanted to see how my Audax experience would translate with a bit of preparation.

Despite the brutal attritional conditions and the restrictions from the COVID pandemic it met all my romanticised expectations.

I achieved a distance that I would have been happy with before I started, ticking off 600km which has history within the realms of AUK and PBP qualification.  Then the next benchmark of the 400 mile barrier. However, even now Im contemplating another go as I think I have more miles in me next time  :demon:

Chapeau to all the riders.
T.J - You had an amazing ride and well done for coming through that rough patch. I would never have known, you looked solid every time you passed me. I was riding the Mercian and we exchanged a few words.
Cygnet - Well done for digging in and scooping that team prize finally. You did look cooked on the A41 but turned it around on the Industrially hot finishing circuit.
ZigZag - Looked incredible on the bike from start to finish. Next level.
T0by - Looked incredibly strong on the bike from start to finish. Had the additional enjoyment of anecdotes after the event from my support crew of your unique nutritional demands  ;D

Its not just the riders. So grateful to all the marshals, organisers and supporters. It is a really special experience. Thanks Karla for your night stint at Pree's, and the slowly depreciating ferocity of your cowbell on each lap of the finishing circuit.

Im going to put together some reflections in a potentially boring ride report with numbers for my own benefit. May post it.

Thanks for all the advice offered in the build up  :thumbsup:

cygnet

« Reply #44 on: 20 July, 2021, 10:56:05 pm »
Despite the brutal attritional conditions... it met all my romanticised expectations.

I achieved a distance that I would have been happy with before I started, ticking off 600km which has history within the realms of AUK and PBP qualification.  Then the next benchmark of the 400 mile barrier. However, even now Im contemplating another go as I think I have more miles in me next time  :demon:
And so it begins  ;D

Chapeau to all the riders.
Excellent ride Adam!

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #45 on: 21 July, 2021, 12:07:46 pm »
Updated Results

TJ gets 487.7 for fourth place
ZigZag gets 486.18 for fifth

First and second were out in front, but the rest of the top ten were all crowded around ~480. That's a lot of strong rides!

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #46 on: 21 July, 2021, 03:27:59 pm »
Whoooo that was hot - didn't go as well as I hoped but went better than I expected, worried about my complete lack of miles but it was my general lack of sleep before the ride (accumulated over the last 3 years  ::-) ) that scuppered me.

Great to see so many familiar faces and just to be on an "event". Fantastic support around the course and everyone who stuck it out looked pretty solid on Sunday.

Cracks me up I miss calculated my finish and missed 460 by a fraction  :P .

PaulD and ChrisN did fab support for me even if they're completely unable to randomize their gel selection  ;D looking forward to doing support for Paul when he does ride next year.

Just a 400 left for this year's SR now.

Dulwich for the team award?

The organisers require heaps of praise for committing to this way before it looked like it might even be allowed so  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to the Mersey Roads club

cygnet

« Reply #47 on: 04 October, 2021, 08:51:09 pm »
AUK have validated the riders I know of. If any AUK member doesn't have their ride listed in their results, best contact the recorder.

And yes TOBY, Dulwich got the team award  :D. I'm hoping I'll see/touch the actual trophy at some point  ???