Author Topic: Painting a door frame fitted with an intumescent seal  (Read 1162 times)

Painting a door frame fitted with an intumescent seal
« on: 05 July, 2021, 10:44:18 am »
I need to put a coat of paint on a door frame betwixt house and attached garage.  It has an intumescent seal which I guess I shouldn't paint over.  Would the best thing be a strip of masking tape over it and cut down the length with a blade?

Ta.

Re: Painting a door frame fitted with an intumescent seal
« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:20:54 am »
Painting an intumescent strip is OK but painting over a smoke seal isn't allowed. Though I do mask the strip and paint either side!

« Reply #2 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:36:12 am »
Painting an intumescent strip is OK but painting over a smoke seal isn't allowed. Though I do mask the strip and paint either side!

Ah, what is the difference, or rather, how do you tell the difference?

« Reply #3 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:43:55 am »
Mr Google image search appears to indicate that smoke seals look like draught excluder brush strips but intumescent seals are flat flush affairs.  In which case I have intumescent.

« Reply #4 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:44:30 am »

Ah, what is the difference, or rather, how do you tell the difference?
Smoke is a brush type seal.
When I worked in an architectural ironmongers, some years ago, the make we stocked had a suggested lifespan of twenty years. I don't know if this applies to all manufacturers, but it's cheap enough that you might consider replacing if it's been there a while and you're expecting the painting to last years.

« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2021, 11:56:42 am »
Good point, it's at least 30 years old but this is a 'quick' decorating job to sell so it can be someone else's problem.

Trouble is, I can't do anything quick!!