Author Topic: Chris CCP Davies  (Read 2200 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Chris CCP Davies
« on: 06 July, 2021, 09:56:35 pm »
I am sad to report that Chris (CCCP) Davies has died.
Chris was a founding member of Audax UK.

Re: Chris CCP Davies
« Reply #1 on: 07 July, 2021, 10:30:06 am »
Sad news indeed.

Chris encouraged me during my first WCW in 1978 to keep pedalling when I was going through a bad bit.  I was inspired by him (and others)

« Reply #2 on: 07 July, 2021, 11:29:24 am »
Indeed.  a.k.a. CCP of the CTC.  I have known Chris since I joined Portsmouth CTC and Hampshire Road Club in 1968/9.  Along with other local members they were an introduction into lightweight touring - a saddle bag is all you need  for a month or more.  I recall his tales of being caught up in the Yom Kippur war of 1973 which I think was about the first of his adventures in far off countries along with Neville Chanin, Dave Culverwell and a few others.  His near namesake, George Davis, also Hampshire Road Club, was also an original member of Audax UK, and Chris would get frustrated when people confused Davis and Davies. I last saw Chris probably 20 years ago.

« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2021, 05:08:27 pm »
The passing of a legend who i knew very well for 35 years, he was always very pround of the fact he never packed on a audax ! He even bought a bike on a national 400km after his broke so he could finish one year.

A member of the 300,000 miles club, cycle reporter ,time trialier,cycle tourer , cycle campaigner anf founder member of audax uk.

I will write a full obituary for the audax mag.

Rest in piece ccp.

« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2021, 06:21:41 pm »
I shall look forward to Postie's inside story.

« Reply #5 on: 07 July, 2021, 11:34:30 pm »
I shall look forward to Postie's inside story.

Tuggo has some choice morsels on Bookface

« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2021, 11:34:10 am »
Very sad news.  I think I must have seen Chris at nearly every P-district time trial I rode, back in the day, and he always had time for a friendly word.  He must surely have been very close to 1,000,000 lifetime miles?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2021, 11:54:44 am »
Yes, but he never made it all the way.

I only met him once that I can recall, at an AUK AGM well over a decade ago. I think he had an influence on AUK bringing in info controls.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 09 July, 2021, 08:32:34 am »
Yes, but he never made it all the way.

I only met him once that I can recall, at an AUK AGM well over a decade ago. I think he had an influence on AUK bringing in info controls.
He might have made it if he had been able/allowed to ride in the last decade.

Perhaps info controls came from the practice of sending post cards from preset locations to show that they had been reached.  This was a method used by Hampshire Road Club (Chris's club) to verify their "Round the borders of Hampshire" record which he rode several times in the 1960s and 70s.

« Reply #9 on: 12 July, 2021, 10:09:59 am »
The passing of a legend who i knew very well for 35 years, he was always very pround of the fact he never packed on a audax ! He even bought a bike on a national 400km after his broke so he could finish one year.

A member of the 300,000 miles club, cycle reporter ,time trialier,cycle tourer , cycle campaigner anf founder member of audax uk.

I will write a full obituary for the audax mag.

Rest in piece ccp.

One of the Audax greats.  Chris wrote a piece for Arrivee recounting his experience on that 1990 National 400 - "A Profitable Ride".  He had sold the bike he bought in deepest Suffolk to complete his ride for more than he had paid for it! 

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #10 on: 12 July, 2021, 11:24:33 am »
I remember many years ago watching  a Commonwealth Games marathon on TV, which was taking place in New Zealand, and spotting Chris on his bike riding along the bikepath next to the route. It was next to some water with the occasional tree at the side of the road.

The last time a Commonwealth Games was in New Zealand was in 1990. As it happens a video of the TV transmission is on youtube and I think I've found him, the leading cyclist of the 4 in this screengrab.

To see him in action, there are a few seconds starting here and then various glimpses of him with saddlebag and casquette with flipped-up peak, including the first few seconds of part2 of the video.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #11 on: 12 July, 2021, 06:48:06 pm »
I remember this from the commonwealth games, it got a mention on bbc radio solent at the time as chris was a cycling reporter for radio solent.

He chose new Zealand for a tour that year as it was just before helmets became law and in his words "i won't be going back as i will never ride in a country that force's you to wear a piss pot when cycling."