Author Topic: 1" Threaded Headset Recommendations  (Read 1180 times)

1" Threaded Headset Recommendations
« on: 11 July, 2021, 03:35:17 pm »
Can any one recommend me  a reliable headset to fit a 1951 Claud Butler Avant ~ Coureur Special .

Paging Rogerzilla to the BT trimphone         Thanks colin 
Its More Fun With Three .

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: 1" Threaded Headset Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2021, 04:08:33 pm »
Tange Falcon FL250C, or Tange Levin CDS if you want it to look like an old Campag Record headset.  The Falcon is superior, though, being alloy and cartridge bearing.  What stack height do you have?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2021, 04:17:39 pm »
In several rebuilds in the last 4 years I have used BBB BHP-15 Threadaround which I have been pleased with.  https://www.tredz.co.uk/.BBB-BHP-15-ThreadAround-1-inch-Treaded-Headset_60616.htm   It is also possible to buy spare bearing inserts.  https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/headsets-c79/bhp-15-bearing-for-1in-threadaround-2-p30314

« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2021, 05:35:48 pm »
Thanks Men . I think it was fitted with a Tange new ? Levin
The frame is in bits with the bits in my mums garage .
I will have to pop over & check the stack height .
The frame has just the rear drop out repaired & needs the crown plus 2 drippy paint finnish replaced .

Should I be committed to Stannington asylum . If I have a pair of mini v brake bosses brazed to the back of the front forks .
When I obtained  the frame it was fitted with a rear trike conversion & I promised to try and use them together .
I would like to get rid of 870grams of placebo drum brake .

« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2021, 08:02:31 pm »
Stannington asylum, that's an old one..
On topic, The mini-v's won't necessarily fit. Trike frames usually have a raised down tube to give clearance. I have also  seen clever stuff done with dual pivots and cut off adjusters..

« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2021, 11:28:44 pm »
 Admittedly I am clutching at straws with this one .I was hoping that by fitting a 700c wheel instead of the 27"& the generous clearances on the  forks I might wing it . I have looked at reversing the cable fixings on an old  GB or Weinmann 730 caliper brake .But from memory they are a bit weak . I will have to put my thinking cap on .

« Reply #6 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:55:46 am »
Headset - for a trike I would go for the BBB I showed.  Reason being that dependant upon use a headset can take a hammering in a trike so it would be nice to be able to replace bearings easily instead of the whole headset.  This is why for decades I used the old Stronglight A9 with replaceable bearing tracks.

Brake mount - Mavic used to make an adaptor plate to relocate canti studs.  Do an internet search for "mavic V brake adapter" and you will see what I mean.  This can be mounted behind the forks, hanging from the through bolt from the brake on the front of the forks.  This will enable you to play around to see if a mini V will fit/work for you.  There were nicer plates made for mounting V brakes on BMX.  DNA was a brand, but these are now rarer than hen's teeth.  I have a DNA one in use on a Ken Rogers small wheeler I built as a project.  I don't do photo hosting so cannot show any pictures here.

I have a Mavic adaptor that has been in my box of bits for many years.  I will donate that if you want it, just PM me a mailing address.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:59:08 am »
The Tange Falcon has replaceable cartridges - Cane Creek ones fit and are readily available.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 13 July, 2021, 08:09:30 am »
Re mavic adaptor     Thank you tatanab for your very generous offer I will pm you . It will save me a lot of time & be a lot more accurate than the Heath Robinson set up I was planning.
I have a stronglight A9 headset  on my Joe Waugh which is currently  attached to the trike conversion axel  & bastard tight hardly covers the amount of torque I had to apply to stop the headset shaking lose.
So once again thank you tatanab & rogerzilla for your help

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 13 July, 2021, 08:14:11 am »
You may want to reface the frame and counter-ream the fork. I have found that headsets tend to loosen if the headset components aren’t properly aligned.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10 on: 13 July, 2021, 01:39:31 pm »
Brake mount - Mavic used to make an adaptor plate to relocate canti studs.  Do an internet search for "mavic V brake adapter" and you will see what I mean.
I did that and found this interesting page. It includes a picture of the Mavic adaptor, and some alternatives.