Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2167968 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #175 on: 28 August, 2008, 11:51:16 am »
Swapped the axles on my Goldtec hub, re-trued my front wheel.

But but, it was your back wheel that was out of true (and missing a spoke!) :)

Git!

Different wheelset, isn't it?

I've still got that 31-spoke wheel with the twisty spokes.  Making it true just doesn't seem right.

alan

« Reply #176 on: 30 August, 2008, 05:38:29 pm »
I fitted some new cleats to new Shimano sandals plus tinkered with the front mech on the Trek to stop the chain rubbing on the inside face of the outer cage plate.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #177 on: 30 August, 2008, 08:22:57 pm »
Got rid of some very annoying clicking sounds from my 105 chainset. 

Note to all Hollowtech owners - do not grease the axle.  If you do, it creates clicking sounds when you pedal hard.  :-X
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #178 on: 30 August, 2008, 09:01:21 pm »
Margaret Hilda:

Her gears are now silky smooth  ;)   New wires and tinkered with the routing on the front mech.

She has two Brooks saddles, four pedals, and is all set up for Cap'n and stoker to ride tomorrow.   :)

A request has been made to rename her Roberta.  I have said that if some matching a's are commissioned to overlay the 's' in Roberts then I agree.

« Reply #179 on: 01 September, 2008, 05:44:50 pm »
Margaret Hilda Roberta Daisy!  We've agreed on a name  ;)

Managed to snap a chunk out of the granny ring yesterday and lose some chainring small bits.

She now sports a Shimano Tiagra triple with Suntour 52 and 30 tooth rings and an unknown but TA look-a-like 39 tooth middle ring.   Shifting seems even better  8)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #180 on: 02 September, 2008, 10:44:58 am »
Put the saddlebag back on my commuter, and swapped the single sided pedals for double sided SPDs (just in time, as it happens - slippy pedal backs aren't much fun)
Getting there...

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #181 on: 02 September, 2008, 03:24:13 pm »
Just re-lubed my chain ready for the homeward journey, and re-Pledged my glasses for the same.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #182 on: 04 September, 2008, 01:25:10 pm »
I've replaced the headset on the trackbike and fitted the original steel fork again.

Mounted Headset, fork and wheels on the Kish bike. Now I just need to put on a new groupset.

« Reply #183 on: 04 September, 2008, 01:52:08 pm »
I've tweaked the Kool Stop Salmon brake pads for the upteenth time, and they are still squealing, although I've managed to reduce them from sounding like a bus doing an emergency stop down to a slight squeal at slow speeds.  I think I'm about ready to give up on them, and go and get some other pads. >:(
Actually, it is rocket science.

alan

« Reply #184 on: 04 September, 2008, 03:27:44 pm »
I have de-fettled a fitted wardrobe in the spare bedroom & loaded it into the car so that it can goto the tip tomorrow.
Valuable cycling time will no doubt be expended on re-decorating in readiness for the arrival of a new bed.A new ,different type of wardrobe is,I am informed,required to accommodate the revised room plan ::-)

I need a sticker for my forehead which says
"I'd rather be cycling" ;D

« Reply #185 on: 04 September, 2008, 03:30:01 pm »
I have my mates bicycle on the stand in my kitchen awaiting a Wiggle parcel.  I ordered on Sunday evening and they dispatched on Monday.  What's going on then  ???

I'd better get some extras  :-\

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #186 on: 05 September, 2008, 12:34:04 am »
Undone the work of not one but two visits from the faerie.

One was a small metal staple poking in through a 16-month-old tyre/tube combo, which have done at least 2500 miles without needing anything but a bit of air now and again.

The other was a 4-month-old self-adhesive patch that had given up its airtightness.  So on getting back from holiday, I looked in the shed, and found the Windy sitting down at a funny angle.  Note to self - patches are for get-you-home, not leaving in tyres for months on end.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #187 on: 05 September, 2008, 05:36:31 pm »
Had to do an emergency fettle this morning, when I realised that a second rivet had come away on my panniers.  Since there are only four rivets, and I replaced one by a couple of cable ties a few weeks back, this was probably a bad thing.

I had to fit the new dhb panniers that won't fit, so I needed to remove the Yak Bob Nutz, and fiddle with the pannier mounting hardware.  For speed I didn't remove the old mounting hardware on the right hand side, and fitted the pannier to the left.

The pannier police will be along shortly to interrogate me over my shortcomings. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #188 on: 05 September, 2008, 11:13:08 pm »
I caved in and changed the chain on my Thorn solo machine.

The old chain was the one I bought with the bike 2 years and 6000 miles ago. The new one is a SRAM PC850. I was going to go out and give it a try but it's pissing down again.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #189 on: 05 September, 2008, 11:17:24 pm »
The pannier police will be along shortly

I'm inclined to let you off with a warning this time as you obviously understand the sheer Wrongness of it  :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #190 on: 05 September, 2008, 11:22:03 pm »
My new mudguards and brake blocks (Koolstop salmons) arrived today from Wiggle, so I've been fitting them to the commuting/audax bike this evening.

Frankly, I could have done with receiving them yesterday so as to take advantage of them on this evening's rather moist ride home. Unfortunately, Citylink failed to deliver yesterday - the usual "tried to deliver but no one was in" line, except that there were at least two people in the house all day. "Our delivery man left a card." Did he feck.  >:( >:( >:(

On the plus side, I got a freebie bottle opener in the parcel, which I have also put to good use this evening.  :)

d.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #191 on: 06 September, 2008, 07:19:06 pm »
Stripped my bike down to its frame, and now I'm spraying it with primer, since it's stopped raining.

gordon taylor

« Reply #192 on: 06 September, 2008, 09:30:02 pm »
I built a front wheel for the fixed commuter - with a new Surly hub and a used Mavic ceramic rim. I'd been running for months with a front wheel that DIDN'T MATCH the rear.  :o :o :o

But now I can go and ride without a paper bag over my head.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #193 on: 28 September, 2008, 04:25:04 pm »
Over the last few days, I've replaced the bearings in my rear hub, stripped and re-greased the chainset and bottom bracket on another bike (hopefully that'll sort out the annoying creak) and built a wardrobe.  That last one isn't bike-related, by the way.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #194 on: 02 October, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »
Taped the bars on Claud, the first bar-taping I have ever done!!!

Looks good-ish, for a first attempt anyway :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #195 on: 02 October, 2008, 08:01:58 pm »
I mended my b0rked Shimano Nexus hub dynamo the night before last. Stayed up until gone midnight with a soldering iron for company, trying to get the little wire into the axle-groove without buggering the insulation up.
This was my second try.

(Disassembled in an absent, awful moment. "Sh*t look what I've done. Oh dear, that'll take some fixing". And it did.

Never. Ever. take complicated hubs apart. Ever. Unless you know what you're doing of course)

works now though :thumbsup:

Now to swap the IQ fly over to the Kaff from my other bike. I'll be looking in the bits box for something to mount the light on (non-drilled fork crown)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #196 on: 08 October, 2008, 11:15:02 pm »
I changed the front brake blocks on the Thorn today. The old ones had seen a fair bit of wear.

I put on Clark's V-brake cartridges, which come with a replacement pad and split pit which holds the whole gubbins in place.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

alan

« Reply #197 on: 10 October, 2008, 11:15:19 am »
I have fitted another bike rack to the roof bars of the Mondeo in readiness for tomorrow's Pedle Britches :)  ride.

alan

« Reply #198 on: 25 October, 2008, 05:40:58 pm »
A flat pack wardrobe.

« Reply #199 on: 25 October, 2008, 05:43:31 pm »
I looked at my chain......and it was very dirty, but I went out for a ride instead