Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163098 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #200 on: 25 October, 2008, 10:38:47 pm »
Nothing but tomorrow I'm sorting the chain out on the MonstaThorn as it needs some lube before I ride in the morning, and perhaps a clean when I come home.
Plus in the afternoon I have to fit new tyres and tubes to Son1's MTB.

gordon taylor

« Reply #201 on: 26 October, 2008, 07:14:35 am »
I have a long list for today; luckily it is pouring with rain.

Finish servicing Miss G's old bike - just need to refit the baskest and adjust the Sturmey gears now.
Sort out the "rubbing noise" at the front of Mrs G's Carpe Diem commuter.
Change the bar tape on the audax bike to white. (I know   ::-))
Fit a front dynamo light to the audax bike.
Fit a secondary rear light to the fixed commuter.

Get the dipped headlights working on the son's Peugeot 306. It's not the bulbs, the switch or the fuse... I hate car electrics.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #202 on: 26 October, 2008, 07:18:43 am »
I have been fettling in Final Cut Pro.

I'm rather bored with what I'm doing at the moment.
It is simpler than it looks.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #203 on: 26 October, 2008, 08:35:58 am »
Fitting a new front wheel to the Holdsworth- old one finally has to go- steel rims, hub knackered and not worh the fettling. Will entail a  bit of further fettling as old wheel is 26x11/4  and new one 26x 1 3/8 so brakes will need jiggling.  However, I have fallen at the first hurdle- can't get the bloody tyre on.  I have never experienced such a tough last few centimetres of bead.  (And I have Marathon Pluses on the other bike).  Will use the old tried and tested technique known to us all (sit down and have a cup of tea) then give it another go.

« Reply #204 on: 26 October, 2008, 10:56:48 pm »
Adjusted the headset on the commuter

Checked all the lights have batteries for tomorrow night
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #205 on: 27 October, 2008, 05:44:31 am »
Did the gears and chain on the MonstaThorn.
Fitted two new tubes and tyres to Son1's MTB.
Didn't go for a ride though  :(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #206 on: 27 October, 2008, 03:51:37 pm »
I've fitted front brake blocks to the tandem, trued the front wheel and sorted out the light mounting under the front bag so that we've got battery backup for the Solidlights. Some laundry is still drying and Mrs. Wow is collecting clothing together. I'll help her for a bit then collect all the tools together. Batteries are charging, and after tea I'll plumb all the maps into the Garmin. Then, tomorrow at 8.28, we get on a train bound for St. Bees! ;D

It's going to snow.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #207 on: 27 October, 2008, 03:52:49 pm »
No bikes (to speak of) ATM = No fettling opportunities, although I did go into the garage to ogle the Ultegra groupset for a bit :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #208 on: 27 October, 2008, 05:35:44 pm »

Rohloff gear fitted and adjusted on my Thorn and I found an old ROLF Satellite frontwheel for it too.

Now I only need to buy the correct brake cables  ::-)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #209 on: 27 October, 2008, 05:52:33 pm »
Given this thread is in the pub, you don't have to have bikes to speak of to have fettled.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #210 on: 27 October, 2008, 05:56:17 pm »
I keep looking at my dirty chain and thinking I must clean it...but going out on a ride is more important :thumbsup:

« Reply #211 on: 30 October, 2008, 08:10:59 pm »
Cleaned wheels of accumulated aluminium dust.

Cleaned and re-lubed Mavic freehub - it was getting draggy again. There's a rubber flange in there that is the culprit.

Checked the LHS crank bolts torque after recently fitting new chainset.

Cleaned cassette and jockey wheels. Noted that the latter are not as free-running as I'd like.

Put on a new chain.

Realised SPD cleats were very worn and replaced them.

Found source of little rattle: brand new front mudguard fork bracket not rivetted on tight  ::-)

Bugger all I can do about that.

« Reply #212 on: 30 October, 2008, 08:18:41 pm »
Wanna  borrow rivet gun?

Replaced worn heel pads on Sidi's.
Replaced Look / Gruyere cleat on left shoe.
Second one in less than 3000 miles.... meh!

Some chain cleaning / lubrication is likely to take place later - does the future count?

Oh - and put new tyres on the Bianchi yesterday.

« Reply #213 on: 30 October, 2008, 08:25:34 pm »
Managed to true the back wheel of my Trek. :thumbsup:It was rubbing on the brake block
.Its not perfect,but I am quite pleased with myself.I think I might put some Mavic Aksiums on it soon.

« Reply #214 on: 31 October, 2008, 05:51:24 pm »
Cleaned and re-lubed Mavic freehub

Forgot to mention that during this stage there was an interlude while a sink U-bend was removed, in order to search for the spacer washer that sits inside the free-hub body. 10 seconds after failing to find it and re-fitting said U-bend, I found the washer where I had set it 10 minutes earlier  ::-) ;D

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #215 on: 31 October, 2008, 06:19:23 pm »
My Lumicycle light cable so that it doesn't keep unplugging mid-ride :(

« Reply #216 on: 31 October, 2008, 08:43:58 pm »
I've ordered new tyres and tubes for the Airnimal. They say they'll be delivered Tuesday. And I have a new rear mech to fit to the Omega before next month's madness.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #217 on: 31 October, 2008, 09:18:02 pm »
Fitted Hope Vision 1 LED light - I am so impressed with its power. Runtime is, as yet, unknown.

Fitted Schwalbe SuperMoto EVO 26x2.35 - after spending about 25mins putting enough air in to get them to the required pressures (40psi front 50psi rear), these are seriously large volume :o Their ride is fast, smooth and confident. And on top of that, Sarah Specialized no longer looks silly with tiny tyres  :thumbsup: then only downside is that they are way to big for my bodged raceblade rear mudguard. :(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #218 on: 31 October, 2008, 09:22:17 pm »
Fitted mudguard to the rear of my Dave Yates, having gotten a bit sick of getting soaked the last couple of days.  Not to mention all the water getting into my saddlebag.

I realised that the 28mm tyre was too big to fit, so fitted a spare 25mm tyre instead. 

« Reply #219 on: 01 November, 2008, 01:16:58 am »
OK, I think it's just about ready to be crashed again.

« Reply #220 on: 01 November, 2008, 01:18:10 pm »
My Lumicycle light cable so that it doesn't keep unplugging mid-ride :(

Paul,
Talk to the guys at Lumicycle.  They gave me a much sturdier jack point that sort of grips the cable inside the head unit.  I also keep a velcro tie on the cable near the head unit as a back up as I don't enjoy it when it suddenly goes dark where I am, as there is no other light aside from me  ;D

« Reply #221 on: 01 November, 2008, 01:20:27 pm »
I noticed a slight bubbling of the coating on my Hope Hoops so sent them pictures on Monday of this week, then rang them to talk about it.  Long and the short of it being they haven't seen it before but totally agree it is not right so they asked me to send them back in to look at.  I am very impressed with the positive response and Hope in my opinion have really been great to date.
So I am not refitting the old Campag Scriroccos to the MonstaThorn.
These rims are so tight that I can't wait to get my Hopes back.

« Reply #222 on: 02 November, 2008, 06:19:21 pm »
Riding home in the dark and the wet last week I had the thought that I might be better off switching to the Globe for winter commuting; its hub gears are better for winter. It's heavier, but I suppose that will keep my fitness up...

I've already put a bigger sprocket and a new chain on (not that this mattered for commuting but it does once you hit anything resembling a hill, which I may well do if I decide to do heavy touring with it).

Today I cut an inch off each end of the bars and moved the controls inward (they are incredibly wide and I might take more off in due course).

The position is also much too upright which is a problem in the wind I get along the Albert Embankment, so I've flipped the stem to make the position slightly less 'sit up and beg'.

She will also get new tyres; still has the originals and they are starting to look a bit cut up after 2000 miles; I'm getting 35s instead of the 42s.

The saddle now feels rubbish on my behind after a summer on the Anatomica that I bought for the Eclipse, so if it continues to feel rubbish I will swap that over too. Would like to avoid that if possible though, as I'll still use the Eclipse for longer rides over the winter and find swapping saddles a faff. If I was rich, I would buy another Anatomica...but I'm not, so I won't. Thankfully things like light brackets are cheaper to have on both bikes...

« Reply #223 on: 02 November, 2008, 06:35:40 pm »
Fitted a new rear wheel to my work bike. The wheel had been on their a long time and was not new when I fitted it so it did not owe me anything. I have a new front wheel too but will fit that when the clocks move forward and I don't use the dynohub when commuting.
I bought the new wheels from Spa and they have super smooth cartridge bearing hubs so am looking forward to my commute tomorrow (I don't mean going to work, you understand)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #224 on: 02 November, 2008, 07:44:36 pm »
As mentioned by Martin in the old cars thread, some fettling of his mudguard stay went on.  Adrian's (I think) Leatherman pliers were used to form a new eye in the broken stay, but they weren't quite up to the job of making this eye small enough.

I spied a bit of broken paving slab, an inna Neanderthal stylee, hammered the eye to the right size, using the kerb as an anvil.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)