Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2169071 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #300 on: 09 December, 2008, 11:12:27 am »
I *would* have been attempting to remove my freewheel, but since the ebay seller saw fit to send me a Shimano cassette lockring tool instead of the Shimano freewheel remover in the listing, I'm not.

I take it I am right in assuming they are not interchangeable?  ??? Have twice emailed seller but they are ignoring me.

YHPM

Thanks Paul. Seller has finally woken up it would seem and has arranged a swap.

I fear this project may be jinxed anyway, the new chain and freewheel block were apparently posted out last Tuesday (by a different seller) and no sign of those buggers either.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #301 on: 09 December, 2008, 12:27:25 pm »
Rifles through spares, only got a screw-on one I am afraid. Any good?
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

alan

« Reply #302 on: 09 December, 2008, 06:35:01 pm »
The bathroom w.c.

« Reply #303 on: 09 December, 2008, 09:54:03 pm »
Rifles through spares, only got a screw-on one I am afraid. Any good?

Ta very much Jasper. A screw-on freewheel is actually what I was after...but the package arrived on my desk today, along with the chain, so I have nearly everything now.

I posted the cassette lockring tool back and now eagerly await the arrival of the tool I asked for...

Once the new cogs and chain are on I'm also fitting a new derailleur which I have already. It looks rather complicated and I fully expect to make a pig's ear of it  :thumbsup:

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #304 on: 10 December, 2008, 12:15:10 pm »
Any good recipes for a pig's ear out there........
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #305 on: 13 December, 2008, 04:11:35 pm »
I have cable-tied a headtorch to my helmet.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #306 on: 13 December, 2008, 10:40:36 pm »
I've finished the super-Brompton wheel.  Sturmey-Archer AM mechanism in a 28-hole AW shell, 150mm s/s spokes (the standard ones are slightly too short for the older hubs), 2 brass washers under the head of each one to shorten the elbow, standard Brompton rim.

You don't get many Bromptons with close-ratio gears, or where the cable adjustment is done by reference to the *left* end of the axle (this particular AM has a straight-through indicator spindle).  It should be a lot more useful to ride.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #307 on: 14 December, 2008, 10:44:44 am »
Christmas lights.
But coild not fix totally.
Put up at the top of our gable (which is very high). Its a ladder and then a six foot pole to loop the wires over the hooks.
I climbed many years  but this is looking higher each year now.
The house should look good lit up tonight.
I would have liked to have mended the last few lights which would not come on ,I guess a broken internal wire.
Still new lights in the sales .

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #308 on: 14 December, 2008, 11:40:42 am »
The freezer!  Under the frost I found a joint of Mystery Meat and a tub of raspberries!  Unknown Roast and summer-fruit smoothies, here I come. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #309 on: 15 December, 2008, 10:21:50 am »
I have cable-tied a headtorch to my helmet.

It has stopped working since Saturday. I have no access to any of the software I need to do my work today, apart from the internet and email, so I might as well try to fix it while I'm here.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #310 on: 15 December, 2008, 02:53:56 pm »
I unwrapped n+1, from this:

to this:

...but it's likely to remain in bits until after the New Year, since I've only got a few days to get stacks of stuff done before I disappear off for the Christmas holiday.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #311 on: 15 December, 2008, 03:02:25 pm »
Splendid! :)
Getting there...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #312 on: 15 December, 2008, 03:05:26 pm »
Yesterday, after the most thorough cleaning session that it's had in a *long* time my Pompino got a new chain (the old one was so caked it took me a while to find the joining link) a new back tyre (the old one was through the rubber around most of it's circumference, and through the kevlar belt in one place) and some new bar tape.

Oh it did look nice and shiny again.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #313 on: 15 December, 2008, 06:59:11 pm »
I've heard tell that you like a clean and well-lubricated pompino  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #314 on: 15 December, 2008, 09:39:57 pm »
Rear gear cable, loose front mudguard stay.  Can't stand a rattle on the commute.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #315 on: 15 December, 2008, 10:50:53 pm »
I've heard tell that you like a clean and well-lubricated pompino  :D

There's nothing to beat a nice freshly lubed pompino. And if I can't get one of those, then there's nothing to beat beating my...
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #316 on: 16 December, 2008, 10:09:39 am »
Right.  Time to get the Ken Rogers' brakes really sorted.

Fiddle, faff.

Bugger.

It appears that the so-called "deep-drop" brakes haz insufficient deepitude, in that in their current position they will mostly be using the tyres as a braking surface which, as any fule kno, violates the fundamental principles of IngSoc not crashing.  Much is to do with this modern fad for enormous brake blocks, which mean that the dual-pivot has to go just there to avoid a conflict of interests with the cantis.

Stomp off to drink wine and watch Sunday's episode of "Wallander", during which inspiration strikes.

Root through tin of old tqt in Sheds, find eighteen year old drop bolt from original Kingcycle.  'tis a small block of metal, cunningly wrought by the Natives of Buckinghamshire to contain a brace of M6 threaded holes, and in these holes may be found countersunk M6 bolts.

Attempt to remove shorter of two bolts results in Allen key flying across Sheds and skinned knuckles.  Turn umop-ap!sdn, screw pair of nuts onto protruding end of bolt, apply loosening torque.

Thread strips.

Apply mole-grips and, praise be to $DEITY, the bolt actually moves and, after some ten minutes of of heaving, is extracted.

Head back inside in much better mood and cook enormous dinner.

Next question is can I be arsed to replace the other bolt, which is similarly jammed in place, and I think the answer is probably "no".

Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to ("You're fired" - Ed.)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #317 on: 16 December, 2008, 12:17:43 pm »
Since my front rim was about to explode after 5500 miles of London commuting, and rather large amounts of braking, I popped in a spare wheel from my currently dismantled Galaxy.  I had to put a tyre and tube on it anyway, so I replaced the front tyre that was also about to expire, and just transferred the inner tube over.  So far, so good.

The brakes were a bit knackered, and things would need to be adjusted for the new wheel, so I swapped the pads over... but the only new pads I had in my spare bits box were some Kool Stop Salmons, which I've not had much success with, too squeally.

After about half a mile of cycling to work this morning, and numerous stops to fiddle with them, I gave in.  I've yet to manage to get the Kool Stops to work even marginally without massive amounts of squeal.  One car stopped, because he thought someone was using their horn. :-\

One set of el-cheapo Aztecs from Evans later, and less than five minutes of fettling by the road side, and the brakes work, and don't squeal like a pig in an abattoir.
Actually, it is rocket science.

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #318 on: 18 December, 2008, 10:56:50 pm »
Rear wheel trued on Maffie's Trek

Cranks stripped from tandem and bottom bracket shells and axles measured ready to order new ones.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #319 on: 18 December, 2008, 11:46:32 pm »
Yesterday.

I need to put the front rack on Fred. This is a custom lowrider so I have to remove the mudguard bolts and add two new bolts for each side.

Put the first bolt in. It is a 3mm button head allen bolt. A bit stiff - the bolt head rounds off.

Hmm.. be better off chasing out the threads with the tap first..
Can't get the bolt out.

Can't get the mudguard bolts out either.

Hacksaw a slot in the bolts and use a ratchet wrench. Hacksaw slips, gouge in thumb. Bad words were said.

Find big grippy pliers to try to remove the bolt stubs. Find big pump pliers, fail to remove stubs.

I am beginning to become a teensy bit annoyed and my demeanour is falling rapidly below that of my normal placid self.

Plan B. Find the other low rider racks, the ones with the cross bar loopy bit that were on the MTB. Bolts are somewhat rusty and the strapping I used before to go round the forks is no longer there.

Nothing suitable at Tesco, as B & Q has just closed.

Brainwave. Old reflector mounts, the sort that go round seat posts with a rubber shim. These are a perfect size.

Raid the box of bolts, a bit of hackery and a very neat solution.

It hasn't fallen apart crossing Londinium tonight either..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

alan

« Reply #320 on: 21 December, 2008, 01:01:41 pm »
Put tape onto Marj's new butterfly bars.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #321 on: 21 December, 2008, 03:33:24 pm »
Washed wife's Pioneer Elite to reveal full glory of 1980's purple / metallic green spatter finish (better than it sounds, honest), pumped tyres and cleaned & lubed chain. I've never seen another of these (and with that paintjob I'm not entirely surprised).

Followed up with the same on the Kona Caldera which had become increasingly covered in various sorts of goo. Included washing mud off tyres, even the knobbly bits. I worry about myself sometimes...  ::-)

Now feeling guilty that I didn't do the Pompino too. I have to leave something to do for Christmas, though. That will also include removal of false neutrals from the R20; I've read all the interweb blurb on SA hub adjustments but can't keep it in my head while I walk to the garage... I'll just have to bring the bike inside. ;D

alan

« Reply #322 on: 24 December, 2008, 01:37:03 pm »
So far today I have fettled some potatoes & some carrots.
I did ever so well:I didn't even need a map to find the kitchen.

I have just been promoted to C-in-C The Hoover.

I could soon apply to have my status as Domestic Phillistine  reviewed ;D

alan

« Reply #323 on: 24 December, 2008, 02:11:03 pm »
 & now I have fettled some pigs-in-blankets :o
This domestic engineering is exhausting:I need a lie down with 4 units a bottle of Grolsch

Chris S

« Reply #324 on: 29 December, 2008, 06:02:47 pm »
I have removed sizable sections of Norfolk, Leicestershire and Warwickshire from my geared Audax bike today, collected during recent Audaxes. You see - this is why I would normally ride fixed this time of year:

Needless to say, the chain was history - having been partially dissolved by road salt. Here we are, avec new chain, two hours later: