Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2170153 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16050 on: 07 July, 2021, 05:02:41 pm »
Have taken many photos and utterly spammed the local Freegle group with posts of all my tat that I need to get shot of. (Mostly all the beer fest glasses and vases that never made it out of the box since the last move 16 years ago).
7 items offered, 2 of which have been collected already. I like this getting other people to come and take my tat away.

Just about to go round the local bike recycling place and dump a load of stuff on them now.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16051 on: 07 July, 2021, 10:58:23 pm »
Have taken many photos and utterly spammed the local Freegle group with posts of all my tat that I need to get shot of. (Mostly all the beer fest glasses and vases that never made it out of the box since the last move 16 years ago).
7 items offered, 2 of which have been collected already. I like this getting other people to come and take my tat away.

Just about to go round the local bike recycling place and dump a load of stuff on them now.

They were very excited when they saw the old workstand :thumbsup:

« Reply #16052 on: 09 July, 2021, 06:06:23 pm »
I've made a couple of these vases.
One as a birthday present for my favourite Aussie's 50th.
The other was a commission.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16053 on: 09 July, 2021, 06:22:46 pm »
Very nice

« Reply #16054 on: 09 July, 2021, 06:30:00 pm »
Thank you.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16055 on: 09 July, 2021, 11:29:49 pm »
Oh yes. Very good indeed.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #16056 on: 10 July, 2021, 12:11:11 pm »
We are going away so I had to put the bike in the bike box which entails taking off the handlebars.  This time the new bike has integrated cables.  I undid everything but still no play in the cables at all.  I was just about to start undoing bar tape when I looked under the stem.  Sure enough, there was a little blanking plate to hold everything in place.  Remove that and the whole job was done in 30seconds!

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16057 on: 10 July, 2021, 01:31:45 pm »
Basin, cabinets etc removed to access WC which has a slight weep causing damp - not as bad as I expected for removal (see Rant thread) - or the leak   . . . but had to cut a kickboard to get the taking-apart started.   Screwfix order placed - should all go back together successfully.

Next task is connecting some new outside LED lights with PIRs.

« Reply #16058 on: 10 July, 2021, 01:51:44 pm »
Gave the camping bike a clean and once it's dried off a bit I'm going to fit my new fork drybag mounts.

I'm going to have to make an adaptor/bracket to move the mudguard stays back from the fork boss as I'll be using that for the drybag mounts. I'll probably 3d print something but it might be better to make something out of aluminium at work.

I'll see how it looks once the mounts are in situ.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #16059 on: 10 July, 2021, 03:11:10 pm »
A camping bike? I like that. Another excuse for n+1, although I like cycling and I like camping but never together. I think I've just noted the flaw in my plan that my other half would notice, too.

Back to my fettling, which is to strip and re-grease my Shimano 7810 pedals. For 14 year old pedals, the insides are remarkably fresh. No gunky black substance that used to be grease. Still, it gave me an excuse to use the new blue Mobil grease I got for Christmas. My family has stopped despairing at the answers I give when asked what I'd like for Christmas/birthdays.

« Reply #16060 on: 10 July, 2021, 03:30:57 pm »
Well it was my camping/commuting bike but then I got a folder due to bike storage changing at work. So now it (a Carrera Subway 1) gets mostly used for camping and occasionally bimbling about on gentle offroad.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16061 on: 10 July, 2021, 03:43:09 pm »
Tweaked the front brake on the Pino. It had been rubbing slightly its last outing. Closer inspection today showed one block was misaligned and that some twat had left the qr lock lever in the unlocked position. Oops.

Also molished a new un-aviary from netting and sticks, so that I get to eat what I grow on the upper 50 acres, rather than the Greedy Bastard Pigeons.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #16062 on: 10 July, 2021, 04:20:19 pm »
Found some 3mm th insoles that work just fine with an old pair of Shimano SPD shoes, the original pads of which were worn out, thereby allowing them to be brought back into service.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16063 on: 10 July, 2021, 04:59:27 pm »

I think Freegle might be my favourite thing of the moment. 6 of the first 7 items are gone, just posted another 4, one of which should be gone by tonight.

« Reply #16064 on: 10 July, 2021, 05:05:33 pm »
An annoying click in the drivetrain somewhere, crank rotation related. Have put up with it for too long.

Presumed it was chainset bolts so started there. No. Decided on  process of elimination methodology. Swapped pedals. Bingo !  Existing r/h pedal/crank thread was bone dry. Daubed with coppaslip and problem sorted. Very satisfying.
Rust never sleeps

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #16065 on: 11 July, 2021, 03:59:55 pm »
New base plate on a M324 pedal, and cleaned much muck off the rest of the mechanism.  Lovely, but the other will have to wait as I want to make sure I have 2 pedals installed to ride to work tomorrow.
Swapped cleats on my Exustar sandals as the front U-shaped bit had almost worn off.

« Reply #16066 on: 11 July, 2021, 07:38:09 pm »
Hanging Baskets hung. Holes for roses dug. 4 trellises fixed to walls*.  Knackered hoses & connectors replaced on Karcher.    It’s not even my garden  :(

*This involved the use of a Drill ! And a spirit level! I don’t think I’ve used those since I put some shelves up 10 years ago. (Not a keen DIYer)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #16067 on: 11 July, 2021, 07:50:41 pm »
BT put our landline onto broadband. So I have ripped out all the phone sockets I put in years ago so we could use dial-up filled the holes and painted over. The dustbin of history..

Connected one of these to the router and it is backwards compatible.

It’s what a landline should look like.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #16068 on: 11 July, 2021, 07:52:32 pm »
Just about everything remotely connected to the rhythm of pedalling trying to chase down a bastard creak. Not sure yet if I was successful as it rained just as I finished. I did learn how to open up and service a Chris King bearing, so not a completely wasted effort if I've failed.

« Reply #16069 on: 11 July, 2021, 08:02:21 pm »
An Ikea washing basket. Only it's not a basket, it's a cloth bag attached to a wooden frame. The latter had taken to coming apart.
All I did was take it completely apart and glue it all back together again, but this counts as serious fettling round here.  8)  :-\
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16070 on: 11 July, 2021, 09:03:16 pm »
BT put our landline onto broadband. So I have ripped out all the phone sockets I put in years ago so we could use dial-up filled the holes and painted over. The dustbin of history..

Connected one of these to the router and it is backwards compatible.

It’s what a landline should look like.

That's a bit modern - these were all the rage when my parents had the phone installed when I was about 3 - official GPO model 150 phone.

« Reply #16071 on: 12 July, 2021, 02:40:38 pm »
It is quite old: if you dial TIM on it, it tells you that at the third stroke it will be 1936 precisely.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16072 on: 12 July, 2021, 03:01:55 pm »
Disciplined an errant piece of fence in the grounds of Larrington Towers.  Brand-new screw, brand-new screwdriver bit and Deceuninck* decent ratchet screwdriver FTW.

*Autocarrot can produce strange results at this time of year
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16073 on: 12 July, 2021, 06:55:20 pm »
Lol

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16074 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:29:35 pm »
Put the spare SRAM T3 hub together, mainly to avoid bits getting lost. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.