Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134209 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16100 on: 24 July, 2021, 09:53:47 pm »
What does recumbenting a sports bra involve, out of interest?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16101 on: 24 July, 2021, 09:57:03 pm »
What does recumbenting a sports bra involve, out of interest?

Removing the strap adjusters and sewing them to length, so they don't knobble your back on long rides.

I did (a couple of band sizes ago) have some that adjusted at the top end of the strap, which were fine onna bent (and mildy annoying in the presence of rucksacks).  Of course, like all clothing that solves a given problem, they weren't quite the right shape.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16102 on: 24 July, 2021, 10:28:19 pm »
Ah, gotcha.

Today's fettling mainly added to the TPoC (TM Crinklylion) for the tip. Hi8 video camera? Old broken Dyson cyclone unit? Ancient bag full of offshore kit including hard hat, Peltors, respirator, safety boots with disintegrating soles? Yes please!

Poured several mostly empty tins of paint into a single one. Poured a half tin of Claypaint into a plastic tub (cos the Claypaint tins rust and that paint is fecking expensive, but I like it).
Hacksawed the Charles Rennie MacIntosh style nameplate off the door frame cos the screws were all fubared. Filled in the resulting holes in the door frame.
Fettled some compost out of the worm composter and the worms back in it.

« Reply #16103 on: 24 July, 2021, 10:50:04 pm »
Bought a fly trap light zapping thingymajig for the kitchen as I'm fed up with the buggers.  Dismantled it and was pleased to see that the mains cable was a simple plug to circuit board as opposed to soldered.

Dropped a string down the tiny gap behind the wall cupboard in the corner of the room, pulled the cable back up (because the moulded plug on t'other end was too big to fit), and reassembled device while standing on the worktop and trying not to headbutt the ceiling.  Applied a hot glue gun to the tiles below the cupboard to fix the cable into the corner of the room as opposed to it hanging randomly behind the coffee machine.     

Looks neat enough, now just need to see if it zaps more flies than the spiders do.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16104 on: 24 July, 2021, 11:57:20 pm »
Tightened some of the bolts on Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)'s all-swivelling reclining tea-spilling armchair.  What kind of genius designs a chair whose assembly and/or maintenance requires two different sizes of allen key, which in his case he had not got*?

* Until the correct tools were located in a rusted-up tobacco tin in the horble sub-workbench Cupboard-o-Spiders
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16105 on: 25 July, 2021, 12:14:55 am »
What kind of genius designs a chair whose assembly and/or maintenance requires two different sizes of allen key, which in his case he had not got*?

Someone previously stung by requiring two of the same sized allen key who wanted to be extra sure?

« Reply #16106 on: 25 July, 2021, 06:35:09 am »
Bought a fly trap light zapping thingymajig for the kitchen as I'm fed up with the buggers.  Dismantled it and was pleased to see that the mains cable was a simple plug to circuit board as opposed to soldered.

Dropped a string down the tiny gap behind the wall cupboard in the corner of the room, pulled the cable back up (because the moulded plug on t'other end was too big to fit), and reassembled device while standing on the worktop and trying not to headbutt the ceiling.  Applied a hot glue gun to the tiles below the cupboard to fix the cable into the corner of the room as opposed to it hanging randomly behind the coffee machine.     

Looks neat enough, now just need to see if it zaps more flies than the spiders do.

Had a couple of those in France.  Despite having more flies than Wm Golding's worst nightmare, they killed none of them. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16107 on: 25 July, 2021, 08:17:57 am »

Had a couple of those in France.  Despite having more flies than Wm Golding's worst nightmare, they killed none of them.

Fly-papers, swats and a strong stomach work best.  They don't work with mosquitoes, though, and after years of not having any - since we got rid of our garden pond - they're back in force.  Comforting thoughts of chikungunya and other exotic delights beset our dreams.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16108 on: 25 July, 2021, 12:20:57 pm »
Retaped the bars on my fixed. Eventually ‘cork’ tape does get worn through but I prefer the feel to most of the more durable alternatives.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16109 on: 25 July, 2021, 01:11:18 pm »
Cleaned & rewaxed/PTFE'd my chain in the slow cooker.  It comes out looking leprotic but at >600km per lube who cares?  Once it was back on the bike I checked it with the 0.5% Park gauge: not only did the gauge not fit in but I could see that the chain still has to stretch a fair chunk before it will. That's with 3600 km on it.

Of course, were I still doing 1000-km-plus Audaxes I'd have to find another system, but I haven't been over 200k in 4 years now.  :'(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #16110 on: 25 July, 2021, 05:40:27 pm »
Gave Shackleton a bath. Put an SKS Chromoplastic on the front. He's a fixed gear with a rear rack, so he can keep the Raceblade XL on the rear.

Stripped everything except bars, chainset, seatpost and saddle off Fingal. Wire brushed the heck out of the rear dropouts to see if he's worth a respray or if he's too far gone (he is worth a respray, yay). Racks are fubared, as are the rear mech, pedals, and brakes.

Need to find a relatively inexpensive 9 speed Campag rear mech and some replacements for the Avid Arch Rivals, which appear to have been discontinued.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16111 on: 25 July, 2021, 08:08:08 pm »
Yet more fence - but featheredge boards this time to extend the bin store to make room to keep the pub bike in there (with bit of a roof to shelter it) - and made a start on two bikes I have in to service in my micro bike workshop business.

« Reply #16112 on: 25 July, 2021, 08:47:19 pm »
Need to find a relatively inexpensive 9 speed Campag rear mech

Think I've got a 9sp Veloce doing nothing - what cage length do you need?

I do need to check what state it's in as I bought it to cannibalise (and then didn't), but it doesn't owe me any more than beer money

ravenbait

• Pudge controls the weather.
« Reply #16113 on: 26 July, 2021, 10:25:32 am »

Think I've got a 9sp Veloce doing nothing - what cage length do you need?

I do need to check what state it's in as I bought it to cannibalise (and then didn't), but it doesn't owe me any more than beer money

I'm putting a triple on there (Campag Centaur 53/42/30 which is technically a 10 speed but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ). I think only a triple rear mech would work with that. I don't really want to replace the ergo shifters with new ones, as this project (you've met this bike!) is already expensive enough that I'm pondering whether I'd be better just getting another bike (heresy), hence the 9-speed requirement.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16114 on: 26 July, 2021, 04:42:01 pm »
I was all set to fettle Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) apparently dysfunctional SodaStream and had even got the top cover off without breaking anything.  Nope, when you pull the lever it jibbles the rod which frobs the rocker arm which presses down on the wossname that pokes the valve in the top of the CO2 cylinder.  Hold on… Could it possibly… No, surely not?

Insert new cylinder, rewarded with sparkling fizzy goodness.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16115 on: 26 July, 2021, 04:48:09 pm »
Connected an E27 lamp holder (like they use in ABROAD, where the FOREIGNS come from) to a suicide lead from the box of random mains cables, screwed it to a Mk 1 Useful Bit Of Wood from the shedde, stuck a smart bulb in it, and placed it on top of the fridge behind the monitor.

Programmed it to come on in a gentle warmish white when there's someone in the kitchen after sunset, hopefully as a useful middle ground between "ARRGH MY EYES!" and "What did I just tread in?"

(Imagine owning a house and being able to install lighting under the cupboards, or dimmers or something...)

« Reply #16116 on: 26 July, 2021, 05:25:04 pm »
Crappy Hozelock plastic connectors replaced with non-leaky brass Spear & Jackson connectors.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16117 on: 26 July, 2021, 06:32:19 pm »
I was all set to fettle Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) apparently dysfunctional SodaStream and had even got the top cover off without breaking anything.  Nope, when you pull the lever it jibbles the rod which frobs the rocker arm which presses down on the wossname that pokes the valve in the top of the CO2 cylinder.  Hold on… Could it possibly… No, surely not?

I hope he uses Irn-Bru concentrate.  It's the One True Sodastream drink.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16118 on: 26 July, 2021, 11:51:16 pm »

I hope he uses Irn-Bru concentrate.  It's the One True Sodastream drink.

No concentrates have passed through the gatehouse of Fort Larrington since about 1976.  The SodaStream is used solely to fizzicate the water with which he dilutes his whisky.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16119 on: 27 July, 2021, 06:31:55 pm »
It may have felt a bit like I was rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic, but I did move every box in the loft to check for metaphorical bears and unexploded landmines. There were none.
In the process I repacked some not very well packed CDs, and other boxen, and found some more stuff for the tip/clothing bank/Freegle.
I can see more carpet up there now.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16120 on: 28 July, 2021, 06:58:29 am »
You have carpet in your loft?  How very lah-de-dah  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #16121 on: 28 July, 2021, 07:30:33 am »
Yesterday, trued a rear wheel* (Shimano WH-7850). Didn't have the appropriate jig,
so installed new brake blocks in the calipers and did the business with the spoke key.

* All local bike shops too busy with jobs in-hand.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16122 on: 28 July, 2021, 12:43:33 pm »
You have carpet in your loft?  How very lah-de-dah  ;D
It came with the loft, and I suspect was put there by the previous previous owner who was a clerk of works at the council. When I say carpet, it's several different bits of different pattern just lying on the floor and it's so old the spongy backing has gone all crusty and crumbly.

« Reply #16123 on: 28 July, 2021, 01:40:57 pm »
Nice..
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16124 on: 28 July, 2021, 07:47:02 pm »
More fettling. A pile of paperwork to be precise. Including the mortgage docs for this place that we paid off years ago, all the solicitors paperwork - hearty lols at how much the fees were compared to now, and a pile of payslips since 2007. Think the shredder might be getting a bit hot soon.
Found out that our soon to be ex-sofa bed (Ikea) was bought 20 years ago, so it doesn't owe us anything...