Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2133989 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16125 on: 28 July, 2021, 07:49:40 pm »
Diesel leak on the camper. Thought I could smell it, but nothing obvious. Turned out to be a pipe coming loose on a t-piece that was put into the fuel return line by the converters and goes to the diesel fired webasto air heater. Could have been a lot worse - at least it was a free fix and happened close to home rather than when we are away - but I did end up lying underneath the van in the pouring rain with diesel dripping on me.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16126 on: 28 July, 2021, 10:23:20 pm »
Replaced the cassette on my Frezoni and resolved a washing machine leak (after much swearing).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #16127 on: 28 July, 2021, 10:28:28 pm »
Mrs Nutty took the children away a couple of weeks ago in the old camper.  On her arrival home, after a 150 mile drive, she parked across the front door.  I asked her to roll the van forwards, but it wouldn't start.   Ignition on, oil and battery lights on, and when trying to start they just dimmed.  Her excuse for her van was "she's tired".

I tried the usual tricks then (unplugging and reconnecting the solenoid, whacking the starter/solenoid with a hammer) to no avail.   It's been stranded there and in the way since.    A few days ago I had another go, but with ignition on only the oil light came on despite the battery being fully charged.

Tonight I had another go.   This time the battery light was on fine but we were back to the original situation of both lights just dimming instead of any noise from the starter.

All connections checked.  Hammer used with more effort.  No effect.

I finally decided it must be mechanical issue with solenoid/starter so asked Mrs Nutty to try to start it while I lay under the van to listen for any evidence.    The van started at first turn of the key  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

We've rolled it the 5 feet forwards I wanted.  She now intends to take them out for the day tomorrow, I will make sure she has her RAC card with her as I ain't going to the rescue.

Tomorrow's job is to buy an oil remover for the gravel as it's pissed too much over where we normally walk and I don't want it indoors.   That's why there is a tray on the drive where it should be parked.

I hate that van.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16128 on: 28 July, 2021, 10:37:30 pm »
Does it need to be you who lies under the vehicle or can it be anyone?

« Reply #16129 on: 28 July, 2021, 10:56:11 pm »
I swore after the last fault that I'd never work on that van again.      Mrs Nutty booked it in to a mechanic.    Guess what muppet had to spend an hour tinkering with the engine trying to get it to start so she could drive away to take it to the mechanic.

I've had 5 breakdowns so far, whilst at home and the phone rings, where I diagnose it over the phone and get Mrs Nutty to fix it to get home.    I do love Mrs Nutty, but she has the same mechanic's skills as Jeremy Clarkson so it was good that two of the breakdowns have been mended with a hammer.   That's why I chose to be under the van tonight, and moved VERY FAST when it started.

(Last time it wouldn't start I had a spark plug out and asked her to crank it, because it "sounded like it was going to start" she cranked it more and revved it despite my specific instructions of "only a few seconds" and my yelling "stop stop stop".    Ruddy cylinder was blowing everything in my face which I couldn't move away from due to sparking plug in my hand.  Of course it sounded different, it was farting out of the spark plug hole!)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16130 on: 29 July, 2021, 12:00:13 am »
Does it need to be you who lies under the vehicle or can it be anyone?

Such as for eg small Nuttys who vandalise their sister's dolls?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16131 on: 29 July, 2021, 01:10:52 am »
That's a point, have you tried Swarfega?  (As barakta said after the naked bisexual oil wrestling incident.)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16132 on: 29 July, 2021, 03:14:44 pm »
Bound the frayed handle of my old HB bag with black paracord. Looks better than the rest of the bag now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16133 on: 29 July, 2021, 03:36:30 pm »
Woohoo! I replaced the rim on my Rohloff wheel! A relatively easy job, some might think, but wheel building has remained - despite past attempts - a black art for me, and I've been putting this particular job off for some time. Now for a test ride...

« Reply #16134 on: 29 July, 2021, 05:04:27 pm »
Woohoo! I replaced the rim on my Rohloff wheel! A relatively easy job, some might think, but wheel building has remained - despite past attempts - a black art for me, and I've been putting this particular job off for some time. Now for a test ride...
Do pease report back, or we'll send out a search party.
Rust never sleeps

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #16135 on: 29 July, 2021, 05:08:50 pm »

Think I've got a 9sp Veloce doing nothing - what cage length do you need?

I do need to check what state it's in as I bought it to cannibalise (and then didn't), but it doesn't owe me any more than beer money

I'm putting a triple on there (Campag Centaur 53/42/30 which is technically a 10 speed but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ). I think only a triple rear mech would work with that. I don't really want to replace the ergo shifters with new ones, as this project (you've met this bike!) is already expensive enough that I'm pondering whether I'd be better just getting another bike (heresy), hence the 9-speed requirement.

Apparently some past life bought a full Centaur 10 speed triple groupset (not the brakes), so I'm good.

I have no memory of this. I just found it in a box.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16136 on: 29 July, 2021, 05:36:49 pm »
Minor adjustment to the front disc brake caliper after a ride on the red plastic machine (actually a rather nice red PlanetX, Ultegra etc bike)

. . .  and then back to the woodwork to finish and hang the gate I've made for an extension to the bin store.  The last few tasks in the landscaping/outside woodwork stuff are in sight . . . I think.

« Reply #16137 on: 29 July, 2021, 06:09:06 pm »
Do pease report back, or we'll send out a search party.
A quick spin around the block suggests it's OK, but there's a flat due to me not seating the tyre properly - a problem I've had before with this rim/tyre combination. I'll be carrying a spoke key, just in case, for the foreseeable.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16138 on: 30 July, 2021, 06:35:35 pm »
Yesterday's fettle was converting my PRiDE OUT jersey from a full-length zip to a 3/4 length zip, for increased recumbent friendliness.  This was fiddly, but ultimately more successful than I anticipated.  Especially after I remembered to put the right needle in the sewing machine.   :facepalm:
What's the problem with full-length zips for recumbenteers?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16139 on: 30 July, 2021, 07:34:10 pm »
Yesterday's fettle was converting my PRiDE OUT jersey from a full-length zip to a 3/4 length zip, for increased recumbent friendliness.  This was fiddly, but ultimately more successful than I anticipated.  Especially after I remembered to put the right needle in the sewing machine.   :facepalm:
What's the problem with full-length zips for recumbenteers?

The fabric of all but the tightest fitting recumbent-specific jerseys, jackets etc tends to have some slack around your tummy when you're in a recumbent seat, which is fine if it's flexible, but a full-length zip add rigidity that ends up sticking up, in a way that can be merely mildy irksome, cause the waist to ride up, or (in the case of waterproof jackets) form a little bowl for collecting rain/snow/hailstones.  I'd guess that if you're large of boob that might help take up the excess zip, but I am not.

Interestingly, my AUK jersey also has a full length zip, but it seems much less inclined to ride up as a result.

« Reply #16140 on: 02 August, 2021, 04:51:51 pm »
At long last managed to find the decals I bought 6 months ago for my British Eagle Touristique and stuck them on.  It looks all neat and proper now.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16141 on: 05 August, 2021, 09:48:11 am »
Fixed the wire from the bell-push back in place. Some unnecessary person had wrenched it free of its staples.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16142 on: 05 August, 2021, 08:00:01 pm »
Jurek fiddled with my bottom bracket.

« Reply #16143 on: 05 August, 2021, 09:02:13 pm »
Today I acquired a shopper/general runaround bike to replace a similar bike which was getting a bit too rattly and potentially difficult to maintain. I fixed it up at the workshop, swapped some bits off the current bike and gave it a good clean. It was a donation to the cycle charity that I volunteer at. I rode it home and like most bikes could take a couple of rides to get used to but should be good.

« Reply #16144 on: 06 August, 2021, 05:09:56 pm »
I admitted defeat on changing the washer in the upstairs sink - I blame the limescale. So I fitted two new taps before the drip gets any worse.

« Reply #16145 on: 06 August, 2021, 05:36:52 pm »
Jurek fiddled with my bottom bracket.
From a safe distance.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #16146 on: 06 August, 2021, 08:26:22 pm »
it’s the first time i couldn’t seat a tyre with a floor pump, so walked to a local garage and used their compressor. it only goes up to 60psi, but it did the job even with the valve core in. checked for the leaks with soapy water (yes, it leaks quite a bit as seen in the photo)

« Reply #16147 on: 07 August, 2021, 04:36:29 am »
Diesel leak on the camper. Thought I could smell it, but nothing obvious. Turned out to be a pipe coming loose on a t-piece that was put into the fuel return line by the converters and goes to the diesel fired webasto air heater. Could have been a lot worse - at least it was a free fix and happened close to home rather than when we are away - but I did end up lying underneath the van in the pouring rain with diesel dripping on me.

Sailed on a yacht whose diesel fuel leaked. It was a copper pipe fracture due to poor installation. Everything on the boat reeked of diesel and any food not sealed picked up the taste. We were sailing on the west coast of Scotland and could not get it fixed so had no engine. It made things rather tricky getting back to ‘civilisation’.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #16148 on: 07 August, 2021, 08:31:26 am »

Sailed on a yacht whose diesel fuel leaked. It was a copper pipe fracture due to poor installation. Everything on the boat reeked of diesel and any food not sealed picked up the taste. We were sailing on the west coast of Scotland and could not get it fixed so had no engine. It made things rather tricky getting back to ‘civilisation’.
We had similar, though simply through a diesel spill on board. I couldn't believe how pervasive the smell was. Everything ended up tasting of diesel. For months afterwards in the case of the stored Mars bars.
Rust never sleeps

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16149 on: 07 August, 2021, 03:35:47 pm »
4 bin bags of clothes to the clothing bank. On foot. My forearms were complaining most of the way there.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.