Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163259 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16225 on: 09 September, 2021, 12:45:30 pm »
Carradice removable Classic carrier with Nelson bag has been popping off its mounts despite the webbing belt and this is most inconvenient. Straightened the hoops which were slightly out of true (an off?), purchased some small thin bungies 12" or so and ran a bungie around the seat post from points adjacent to the tangs in the hope that this stops them jumping out. The tangs look in good condition and do seem to locate themselves properly under the B17s seat mantle. Had a ride around the block deliberately targeting sunken street ironware and it now seems ok. The recommended max loading for this set up is 6kg. I weighed the bag on some electronic scales and it was around the 3.4kg mark.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #16226 on: 09 September, 2021, 11:09:01 pm »
Replaced the burnt out electric door latch release on my van. How does a motor come to be burnt out, you ask?

The previous owner replaced the rear barn doors with a hatchback. As the factory didn’t  install captive threads for the hatch hinges, the chance of someone who is fitting the door in their back garden getting the alignment even vaguely correct were, well, nil.

They also punted on doing the electrics correctly, and just installed a big button on the dashboard hardwired to the release motor, bypassing the central locking computer.

The joy here is that as the door isn’t exactly free to move, when you press the button it doesn’t pop open or whatever it’s meant to do, so if there’s only one of you it’s incredibly tempting to wedge the button down with something heavy while you go and fiddle with the door.

If you do that, eventually the hobby motor in the latch that’s stalled out has enough and fails short, taking the well-hidden fuse (at least there was a fuse!) with it and making reverse engineering the whole mess even harder.

So as well as replacing the motor, I’ve also relocated the button to somewhere you can jiggle the hatch while pushing it, and filed down the latch bracket so there’s not so much pressure on it and it has a chance of releasing first time.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16227 on: 10 September, 2021, 01:41:31 am »
Even the factory-fitted ones can be a bit shit.  Yes, Fiat Chrysler Automobile, I do mean you, with your joke comedy trapping an innocent back-seat passenger in the Shitbox Dodge, causing me to have to get out and let the poor bugger out manually, in a torrential downpour >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16228 on: 10 September, 2021, 06:50:54 pm »
Fettled another one of the naff disco door knobs into a lever, after waiting a week for a 7mm spindle to arrive. But that was much preferable to the 15-20mins filing I had to do to the mortice lever follower for the first one. So now to order another 3 sets. And decide what do to with the ones that don't need to turn.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #16229 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:43:38 pm »
Get yourself a dremel look alike Mrs P.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #16230 on: 10 September, 2021, 09:17:45 pm »
Fettled another one of the naff disco door knobs into a lever, after waiting a week for a 7mm spindle to arrive. But that was much preferable to the 15-20mins filing I had to do to the mortice lever follower for the first one. So now to order another 3 sets. And decide what do to with the ones that don't need to turn.

You need to do a velociraptor risk assessment.
The kitchen might be high-risk now.
Keep a clear space under the work surfaces to hide in.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16231 on: 11 September, 2021, 05:35:52 pm »
Get yourself a dremel look alike Mrs P.
I do actually have one of those, some cheap and nasty affair with one speed that gives me the willies. Not sure if there's anything file shaped in the tools though.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16232 on: 11 September, 2021, 05:39:30 pm »
I've just spent half an hour of type II fun with a bowl of water and a toothbrush scrubbing the worst of the soot off the bricks in the fireplace. Cos Pumpkin keeps poking her nose up the chimney and then leaving sooty paw prints all over the unforgiving carpet and all the windowsills.

Given there's a (disconnected) gas fire in the fireplace I'm wondering why it was not swept before that was installed. Maybe I should get that done...

« Reply #16233 on: 11 September, 2021, 08:17:02 pm »
New battery in my HRM strap and then tidied up the data screens on the Garmin.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #16234 on: 12 September, 2021, 03:55:02 pm »
Tried to change the cables on a faux mtb and found every thing rusty including the cables and other bits.

So stopped as my shoulder started to hurt.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16235 on: 15 September, 2021, 05:25:52 pm »
After a couple of afternoons Googling I adjusted the front door hinges so that the door closes without squeezing into the frame. It was easier than I expected. If I was my neighbour I would be relieved.
One small niggle down...

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #16236 on: 15 September, 2021, 05:33:45 pm »
Connected our tandem back together again and checked the gears, in anticipation of the possibility soon of our first tandem ride since May before long (stokers been poorly). 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16237 on: 15 September, 2021, 06:33:41 pm »
Prepped my Moulton for the BoA weekend with Big Bag and all. Need to fit the other Big Bag to HK’s Moulton and check all the camping gear fits in them comfortably.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #16238 on: 16 September, 2021, 07:42:15 pm »
a peculiar incident today for several reasons:
* spoke nipples rarely fail (broke apart at the rim)
* on the front wheel
* while the bike sat stationary indoors

squeezed the rest of the spokes hard, hoping this was a one off. took the tyre off, cleaned the sealant and took the rim tape off. will sort it out over the weekend.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16239 on: 16 September, 2021, 10:09:21 pm »
Extended the left brake lever on barakta's WSO so she can operate it without pain.  Used sub-optimal materials that I had to hand, so it may turn out to be a break lever...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16240 on: 17 September, 2021, 03:33:46 pm »
Rigged both Moultons for touring and topped off the tyres, retaped my Moulton’s bars, de-squeaked HK’s Moulton’s front bounce.

Swapped out wornout bearings/ axles from a set of HK’s Keo Sprint pedals.

De-creaked the BB of HK’s Kinesis.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16241 on: 17 September, 2021, 05:26:55 pm »
Desqueaking a front bounce sounds like a job involving lots of nasty black grease  :(
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16242 on: 17 September, 2021, 05:32:45 pm »
Dismembered 2 of Pingu's wheels so he could save the hubs and the rest could go to the tip. That was a long and tedious job.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16243 on: 17 September, 2021, 06:10:19 pm »
Desqueaking a front bounce sounds like a job involving lots of nasty black grease  :(

Not in this case, just removing the dirt in the friction washers. Regreasing the spring is less about a squeak and more about a high-pitched scrape.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16244 on: 17 September, 2021, 07:30:49 pm »
Dismembered 2 of Pingu's wheels so he could save the hubs and the rest could go to the tip. That was a long and tedious job.

Were the spokes really worth saving? - bolt croppers and a 5 minute job to cut the hubs out of the wheel.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16245 on: 17 September, 2021, 07:49:25 pm »

Were the spokes really worth saving? - bolt croppers and a 5 minute job to cut the hubs out of the wheel.
Yes I know but we don't have bolt croppers so I used the tools we have available.

« Reply #16246 on: 18 September, 2021, 02:48:21 pm »
Pedals renewed to silence bike , bearings shot on my touring pedals . Been clicking on last trip , fitted a new pair of Time DH4 pedals after visiting LBS. Will try to fit Ignus polymer bearings in the old ones if they have the correct size.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16247 on: 19 September, 2021, 03:29:57 pm »
Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)'s manky old swivel chair, whose base splat dramatically and has been bodged back together using chunks of channel-section aluminium and swearing.  However, if he doesn’t stop the tuneless whistling he's not going to get a chance to test it, because I will have murdered him.  Utterly to DETH.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16248 on: 19 September, 2021, 09:16:08 pm »
Pedals renewed to silence bike...

Did same with stoker pedals.  The only thing more annoying than clicks every pedal rev is your stoker telling you they can still hear it. On. Every. Rise.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16249 on: 19 September, 2021, 09:18:16 pm »
Hastily molished a laptop shelf out of Useful Bits Of Wood, so that barakta may ergonomically spod from bed.