Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134167 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #525 on: 03 April, 2009, 09:45:40 am »
I have some Frogglegs in blue to fit to fred at some point.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #526 on: 03 April, 2009, 01:49:08 pm »
Spookily, like Clarion, the morning I had to fit a Topeak Bar-X-tender to the bike, since the position which is OK for a Exposure Race Maxx is hopeless for a Dinotte 200L light.  I needed to raise it up a bit so it "looks over" the brake and gear cabling.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Si

« Reply #527 on: 03 April, 2009, 04:38:17 pm »
My galaxy now has V brakes all round, mated to Tektro drop bar levers.  Very impressed.
Did make a funny noise when I first applied the rear - soon worked out what it was by looking down and seeing the black line that the locked up rear wheel was leaving down the road.
Also fitted XTR rear mech and DA DT shifters - so i'm indexed too.
Soon be properly caught up with the C20th.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #528 on: 03 April, 2009, 04:49:53 pm »
Modern life is overrated ;D
Getting there...

alan

« Reply #529 on: 03 April, 2009, 06:07:24 pm »

Soon be properly caught up with the C20th.

I am going in the opposite direction.
When Longstaff's have completed the TLC on my bike my DT rear mech  shifter will be friction(it was previously indexed) to match the friction type front mech DT shifter.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #530 on: 03 April, 2009, 11:47:02 pm »
Finally swapped the saddle on my "uber-commuter". I'm not sure whether the one I've just swapped in will be any more comfy, but it's about time I tried something else.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #531 on: 04 April, 2009, 12:38:52 am »
Fitted my saddle ready for the first ride on my new bike and my first ride in New York. Yikes!

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #532 on: 04 April, 2009, 05:21:30 pm »
Major clean up of the Dave Yates yesterday, ready for the hot dry summer I am anticipating. Today I stripped the rear wheel and tweaked the cones as it didn't feel as free as the rear wheel on Mrs. TKP's bike. This explains why I have been having trouble keeping up with her lately.  ;)

« Reply #533 on: 04 April, 2009, 06:08:23 pm »
I looked at my chain and thought it needs cleaning  :o 
but went out for a ride instead  ;D

alan

« Reply #534 on: 04 April, 2009, 06:14:25 pm »
This explains why I have been having trouble keeping up with her lately.  ;)

no it doesn't.
It's because you are geting older & Gill is getting fitter ;D

I have fettled the fence.Tomorrow morning I will fettle the greenhouse & take stuff to the tip.All this to earn brownie-points so that in the afternoon I can take the Longstaff out for a major try-out following the expert attentions of the folk at Longstaffs.I coolected it this afternoon & after tea I hope to put things back on it such as coputer.Topeak bar extenders & lights,Ortlieb barbag bracket.Alter the saddle & handlebar heights.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #535 on: 04 April, 2009, 06:56:05 pm »
Well I lubbed the chain on the mountain bike before I went out.  I also fitted a rear mudguard to the mountain bike.

Then I chemical metalled the motorbike tank in the vain hope that this will fix the fuel leak.  But I also balanced the carbs on the motorbike too.

Zoidburg

« Reply #536 on: 04 April, 2009, 08:14:49 pm »
Cleaned the fixie and replaced the chainring bolts with singles so I could replace the spacers that I cut out of chain ring tabs back when I didnt have any single chain ring bolts handy, one had worked loose and nicked the paint on the chain stay.

« Reply #537 on: 04 April, 2009, 08:41:18 pm »
found a way of using my rucksack as a pseudo pannier on a cannondale massload rack i got via freecycle.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #538 on: 04 April, 2009, 08:52:58 pm »
Took apart another (!) secondhand 3-speed hub; I've established that I can build a lightweight close-ratio one using an AM axle and planetary gears, AW ball ring and clutch assembly and S-RF3 alloy shell.  The S-RF3 shell tends to leak oil (it's designed for grease lubrication) but I think I've solved that one now - it just needs some gasket sealant round the pressed-in LH ball ring.  I drilled the shell and fitted an oiler before I built the wheel.

If the Brompton World Championship comes to the UK again, I'll kick the arses of the 6-speeders  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #539 on: 04 April, 2009, 08:58:04 pm »
Giving my Thorn Nomad a once over before my US trip at the end of the month, I found the bottom S&S coupling loose  :o

Bad Andrew, Lazy Andrew, Stupid Andrew!

When I unscrewed it a trickle of muddy water ran out, and lo the threads they were graunchy...

After checking Mr Thorns instructions I removed 2 sprung retaining rings and cleaned, reassembled & relubed the coupling.  I'm now wondering whether to do the other one, even though it feels OK.

The Nomad is now in the living room, packed into a case like this http://briandesousa.com/bicycling/tech/convpack.htm
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #540 on: 04 April, 2009, 11:34:43 pm »
All this reminds me of how much I have neglected the cycle collection lately.

Today, I cleaned 4 bikes - 2 of mine & both Mrs. Bs, all of which were desperately (though in varying degrees of desperation) in need of it. I found a flat tyre on my MTB (gone down since last ridden, last week), but couldn't be arsed to fix it because I'm riding another bike tomorrow.

Yesterday. I gave the Brompton a good wash & brush-up. Also badly needed it.

Three chains, two tyres, some sprockets, & a spoke need replacing, between that lot. And some paint chips should be touched up. :( Soon, I promise.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

alan

« Reply #541 on: 05 April, 2009, 06:34:21 pm »
I have cleaned the chainwheel & chromed chain stay on the Longstaff.It really does look best-dressed now.The bill for doing the up-grade was less than I expected so when I get back from JoGLe I might have it resprayed

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #542 on: 05 April, 2009, 08:38:16 pm »
Sorted out my going to the shops, small child to nursery, commute to work bike today.

An extended poke into the rear cluster got rid of a winter's worth of impacted grime, a nice wipe of the chain, and a similar poke into the crevices of the triple chainwheel  got the drivetrain done. A nice tightening up of everything, which demonstrated the the Brooks B66 was coming unbolted at the springs fixed the rattles. This was followed by a quick wash and lube job.

The then pristine machine is now resplendant with its new, secondhand, panniers and "Sheldon Brown is my co-pilot sticker installed.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #543 on: 05 April, 2009, 09:54:00 pm »
Prompted by the rumblings from Annie's headset on Saturday's WARTY ride, my bike had started to make some funny noises on the ride home, so today I decided to strip it all down.

There was lots of grungy yuck in the bottom set of bearings, so I cleaned everything out and re-greased, and then tightened it all back up again, and everything seems quiet again.  :thumbsup:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #544 on: 05 April, 2009, 10:47:13 pm »
Replaced another set of bearings on my commuter eggbeater pedals....

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #545 on: 06 April, 2009, 08:48:45 am »
Centaur front mech of the Sabbath.
Adjusted worked fine on test in drive, refused to work on test on road!
Adjusted worked fine on test in drive, refused to work on test on road!>:(
Adjusted worked fine on test in drive, refused to work on test on road! >:(>:(
Adjusted worked fine on test in drive, refused to work on test on road! >:(>:(>:(
Adjusted worked fine on test in drive, refused to work on test on road! >:(>:(>:(>:(
Adjusted worked fine on test in drive, refused to work on test on road! >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Faith, hope and gluttony.........

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #546 on: 06 April, 2009, 10:14:19 am »
Haven't fettled a lot, but last night, I fitted new grips and bar ends to the Cyclone, and dismantled it to go in the car.  Also dismantled the tandem for the same purpose. 

On Friday, in some corner of a foreign (Welsh) field, there will be bolts and hex keys concealed... :-\
Getting there...

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #547 on: 07 April, 2009, 10:55:28 am »
On weekend I decided Dawes Discovery 101 was looking  dull, grey and unattractive.  So I cleaned it for the first time since I bought it (November).  Discovered Dawes Discovery 101 is painted dull, grey and unattractive.

Swapped front brake pads before old ones scratch now shiny rim.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #548 on: 07 April, 2009, 03:12:32 pm »
Filthy Dahon Folder got cleaned up and re-lubed. Still need to adjust both it's hinges... the main hinge came unfastened on a brief sortee to the local shop last night  :o

Cleaned the drive on the tandem, stripped, cleaned and regreased the rear hub. Headset still to receive same treatment.

1.5 bikes fettled.
3 still to fettle.
1 to finish building up.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #549 on: 09 April, 2009, 04:50:52 pm »
Stripping the Hewitt and building...an identical Hewitt.  At least I'd never ridden it in the rain!

I though it was a bit remiss of them not to face the BB shell, although everything else was prepped (including headset cups and star nut, since I can't do those).  The LBS did it for £12 - it was a bit rough and these external BB bearings are fussy.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.