Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2161079 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #725 on: 23 June, 2009, 10:51:04 am »
I've put five tiny "zip" fasteners on each of the saddlebag holders on the Brooks saddle so that the holders won't cut through the leather straps on the Carradice. Now it's a much kinder surface for the straps to rest on.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #726 on: 26 June, 2009, 02:01:12 pm »
I swapped the slicks on Superstoker's hybrid for knobblies.  We went out for a trundle a short while ago, but he wasn't happy with the increased drag... :(
Getting there...

« Reply #727 on: 27 June, 2009, 09:59:42 pm »
I just swapped over the Continental Sports Contact tyre on the back of the Kaffenback for a Marathon Supreme, since I've had enough of punctures.  I'll put the Sports Contact aside as a emergency spare.  The Marathon Supreme I got was a folding one, so was quite "fun" to get on the rim, since it's quite floppy.  I think I'll try and stick to wired on non-folding tyres where I can, they're much easier to get on.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #728 on: 28 June, 2009, 01:54:31 am »
Sorted out the bar tape that was undoing.

Very fiddly job as I was only doing the bar end end, so having to work back to front and slide the tape under the already taped bar.

Took the end of the thumb off with a sharp knife  ::-), but because I keep my kit razor sharp I actually shaved the skin off and no blood was seen.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #729 on: 28 June, 2009, 04:22:44 pm »
It all started as a simple job to fix the chainline, which involved turning the Surly sprocket round.  However, to remove a sprocket on a SA threaded driver, the driver has to come out of the hub after removing the RH cone.  2 minutes later and the driver is straddling a metal bar in the Workmate, with me heaving on a chainwhip.  It comes off, so that's good.

However, the axle is free to move a lot when the RH cone is out...and the planet pinions managed to lose their timing, meaning the hub wouldn't turn freely.  Arse.  So I stripped the whole thing down, taking the opportunity to change the axle key for a threaded one so I can use a £2 one-piece indicator (available new) rather than a £15 two-piece indicator (not made since the 1960s).

Anyway, it's all back in and running beautifully - the chainline is bang on now - but the 40 mile "bedding in" ride before the Dun Run is going to have to be repeated this week.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #730 on: 28 June, 2009, 05:58:57 pm »
I have replaced the rather nasty external bearings on the 105 hollowtech chainset on me Ribble with a set from Hope. Not cheap, but the smoothness is lovely, just lovely. And then some. :D

« Reply #731 on: 28 June, 2009, 07:07:24 pm »
During my test ride this morning I stopped 3 times to fine tune the front dérailleur.  I might pop out and fix a loose valve in a tube in a mo too.

« Reply #732 on: 02 July, 2009, 07:57:51 pm »
Just popped the lights back on Blue Meanie for the Dun Run.  2 Cateyes & a Hope up front. 2 Smarts & a Blackburn Mars 4 at the rear.  Pannier adjusted to fit the old rack as well.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #733 on: 02 July, 2009, 08:14:14 pm »
...2 Cateyes & a Hope up front. 2 Smarts & a Blackburn Mars 4 at the rear. ...

You are me, and I claim my five pounds... erm maybe no erm...
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #734 on: 02 July, 2009, 08:53:47 pm »
I've changed the dodgy tube on mrs mikes bike, and (after she offered to cook tea) removed the mudguards. 

« Reply #735 on: 02 July, 2009, 09:11:11 pm »
I have just installed my new Ultegra SL compact chainset on Theia, along with the Ultegra front dérailleur.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #736 on: 02 July, 2009, 09:22:38 pm »
Just fitted the Bonty tyres to the Gipiemme wheels for Superstoker.  By heck, that rear one were tight!  But they're on, and they look very smart.

Just need some sprockets now... :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #737 on: 03 July, 2009, 09:40:13 am »

Lined and highlighted all the intricate scrolled lugs on my newly aquired "Ian Steel" Viking.

I wasn't at all nervex about doin' it.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #738 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:44:19 pm »
I have just put The Brooks on my Sportive Ti, where it looks all wrong. The copper rivets don't go with the Ti frame
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #739 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:46:58 pm »
I sorted out a young lass's bike so she could get home after the mech went un-mech shaped.  She might be buying one of our BSOs to replace the bike, which is pretty much kaput now the gearhanger has been bent out of line (and back - ish - by me).
Getting there...

« Reply #740 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:48:28 pm »
I sorted out a young lass's bike so she could get home after the mech went un-mech shaped.  She might be buying one of our BSOs to replace the bike, which is pretty much kaput now the gearhanger has been bent out of line (and back - ish - by me).

What will happen to the redundant bike?

« Reply #741 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:50:36 pm »
Nothing today, but I expect my new bling stem to arrive in the morning, so can't wait for the morrow.

« Reply #742 on: 03 July, 2009, 09:18:43 pm »
Just popping out to the garage now  :smug:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #743 on: 03 July, 2009, 10:03:05 pm »

It's not really a bike so much as an assemblage of crappy cheese-flavoured aluminium with a chain that has never seen oil, and a bunch of old springs masquerading as a suspension system.  But the lasses do ride a fair bit, they say, and went to Brighton a short while back...
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #744 on: 03 July, 2009, 10:03:24 pm »
Just popping out to the garage now  :smug:

CODE RED!!!
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #745 on: 03 July, 2009, 10:04:10 pm »
I've rewrapped one side of the bar tape for the Woodrup, so that'll probably be my steed of choice this week.

Now for the fixed...
Getting there...

« Reply #746 on: 03 July, 2009, 10:04:37 pm »

It's not really a bike so much as an assemblage of crappy cheese-flavoured aluminium with a chain that has never seen oil, and a bunch of old springs masquerading as a suspension system.  But the lasses do ride a fair bit, they say, and went to Brighton a short while back...

Aluminium, no good.

« Reply #747 on: 03 July, 2009, 10:16:25 pm »
I lied.  Couldn't help myself.  When I went to put Theia away I took the seat off and put some grit lube in the seat clamp mechanism in the hope that it will keep it more secure than without.  Also took of the big Carradice and put on a smaller Topeak bag for a 'lighter' run to the LBS and WH Smiths in the morning.  Fun, not commuting.  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #748 on: 03 July, 2009, 10:48:20 pm »
Damn!  Old bloody brake levers!  I can't get the bolt to engage with the band >:(

I will forgive them, cause they're all lovely & such, and say 'Carlton' on the side, but that one is annoying me...
Getting there...

« Reply #749 on: 04 July, 2009, 07:55:30 pm »
This morning I fettled a completed beginner (39yrs) into someone who could cycle several hundreds of metres with a Wide Wide Grin ;D
(direction will have to come later though.)

This afternoon I fell asleep and found myself fettling a broken chain and hunting for lost pins. Then they wouldn't fit back into the chains side plates.

Thankfully the phone woke me.