Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865869 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #1375 on: 15 September, 2011, 02:12:07 pm »
Very close to purchasing a pair of Altura Night Vision 20L panniers (in orange).

Only thing stopping me is that there's little wrong with my existing pair of Altura panniers. I just want the slightly larger capacity, nicer KlickFix mountings and the shoulder straps (carrying two panniers, bottle and small child up/down the stairs is only getting more of a handful...).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1376 on: 15 September, 2011, 07:13:48 pm »
A Tiagra front hub for the fixed/utility bike front wheel rebuild. Hopefully it's going to be smoother than the one on there at the moment - an ancient RX100 hub which is total carp.

A 17t Miche sprocket for said fixie. I find 18t (with 42 up front) slightly too low, and 16t a bit of a struggle up the long draggy climbs laden down with a bag of Sainsbury's finest slung over my shoulder. Hopefully the 17t should be just right.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #1377 on: 16 September, 2011, 02:05:44 pm »
Didn't buy these as such, but received a Rapha LS merino jersey (in red) and some Rapha soap for cleaning my leather gloves with as a gift  ;D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1378 on: 16 September, 2011, 02:17:20 pm »
The front rack I ordered from Spa Cycles has just turned up - came in a bloody great big cardboard box, with all manner of junk used as packing material.

Not that I'm bothered, just so long as I can fit the rack without too much grunting and swearing.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1379 on: 20 September, 2011, 11:40:53 am »
Just ordered a DH-T665 LX Dyno hub from the LBS, rapidly finding that I can go online, find the exact piece of kit that I need, then go to the LBS and they match the price (to within a few quid) and I don't pay the postage!

Also bought a tin of clear spray lacquer for the scuffed up Ultegra levers I bought, I have already cleaned off the old lacquer (which was all scratched and bubbling) and sprayed the first coat on one to see how it comes out.

A load of energy bars and gels from H&B, as they are 3 for 2 at the moment.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1380 on: 20 September, 2011, 09:28:16 pm »
Have accidently bought myself two pairs of gloves after ordering the wrong size for my partner...they fit me perfectly!

« Reply #1381 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:54:26 pm »
Cycling related purchase today - a GPS. Only a Garmin Geko 201, but it was ridiculously cheap in an Oxfam shop .  :o

Batteries had corroded, but a clean up of the connectors and new batteries got it working.  :D

I've just spent 5 times what I paid for the GPS, on a data lead for it.  :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #1382 on: 22 September, 2011, 10:23:25 am »
A bunch of 295mm spokes in order to replace the non-driveside one that has gone on my hackbike (and have some spares).

Need to measure the spokes in all of my wheels (and keep a note of the lengths in each) so that I can order adequate spares, plus enough for a couple of full wheelbuilds for replacement wheels for the hackbike (the current ones will have the winter tyres fitted and used just for winter).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1383 on: 22 September, 2011, 11:38:16 am »
A caravan Carry Freedom large y-frame trailer for shopping and camping trips

The previous owner had fitted a very substantial dog box - that's about 260L capacity! No need for a tent, I can just curl up in there for a kip :) I picked it up last night, and rode about 55 miles home with it (to the amazement of the seller - especially when I mentioned that I'd ridden 40 miles to work that morning, and then 25 miles to get to him). It really is noticeable the increase in room you get when cars eventually pluck up the courage to overtake!

« Reply #1384 on: 22 September, 2011, 01:17:37 pm »
Tribars + trailer is not a commonly seen combination...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1385 on: 22 September, 2011, 01:18:25 pm »

Resistance training, innit? :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1386 on: 22 September, 2011, 01:27:32 pm »
A caravan Carry Freedom large y-frame trailer for shopping and camping trips

That looks awesome, I could fit both my dogs in there! How easy is it to ride uphill with a load in that? I once tried to tow my kids (aged 2 and 5 at the time) in a steel trailer with my BSO and could hardly make it move at all on any incline whatsoever.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1387 on: 22 September, 2011, 02:10:26 pm »
I recollect that Pete Bird (Swallow Tandems),who at that time lived in the Tannant Valley,carried his labrador in a trailer.The dog was trained to jump out of the trailer when going uphill,run alongside up the incline  & jump back into the trailer at the summit :thumbsup:

« Reply #1388 on: 22 September, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »

How else are you going to go really fast  ???

That looks awesome, I could fit both my dogs in there! How easy is it to ride uphill with a load in that? I once tried to tow my kids (aged 2 and 5 at the time) in a steel trailer with my BSO and could hardly make it move at all on any incline whatsoever.

I've not tried a serious load, I reckon I had around 15kg of work stuff in it coming home. Climbing was interesting - being smooth really paid off, so sitting and twiddling rather than out of the saddle honking. Being out of the saddle is fine as long as you aren't going so slowly that you are pedaling in squares. It's the momentum that is a challenge - it's effort to get it going, then if you aren't smooth it pushes you forward slightly when you ease off of the dead part of the pedal stroke, then pulls against you as you push down again. I was glad I was on the bike with a triple, giving a 25" granny (though I don't think I ever engaged that, I certainly was approaching it on one particularly stiff climb).

The box is a Ferplast Atlas 50 professional, which has had a sheet of transparent plastic rivetted to the rear vents (which face forwards on the trailer), to stop draughts. I guess it could be useful when taking animals to the vet, but it is also a useful size for loading with shopping, either putting bags in through the front or removing the lid and using it as a tray. 

I recollect that Pete Bird (Swallow Tandems),who at that time lived in the Tannant Valley,carried his labrador in a trailer.The dog was trained to jump out of the trailer when going uphill & jump back into the trailer at the summit :thumbsup:

What he should have done is have a harness for the dog, so it could give him a tow! Many years ago we used to do soemthing similar to that with the doberman we had at the time. When the weather was really bad in winter, we'd go shopping taking a sledge. The dog would pull it home  :thumbsup:

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #1389 on: 22 September, 2011, 02:21:46 pm »
New Shimano M087 shoes off ebay. £60 !!! yes really £60 for shoes. I think I'll have to go back to driving - its probably cheaper.

In reality that's probably not a lot to pay for cycling shoes, but the last pair of Shimano's I bought about 3 years ago were £23. The exchange rate is clearly having an impact.
Owner of a languishing Langster

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #1390 on: 22 September, 2011, 02:26:05 pm »
A pair of brake pads for Sabbath's front brake. Last Sunday's ride down the A470 river eroded the last lot away.
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

« Reply #1391 on: 29 September, 2011, 06:35:23 pm »
Since the weather was so nice this afternoon I nipped down to SJS to replace my slightly wonkily (is that a word?) overstretched Brooks B17 with a shiny new Brooks Finesse (this is the women's version of the Ti Team Pro). The staff looked slightly bemused as I swapped the saddles over in the shop, refitted my Bagman, adjusted the seat post slightly down and rode off. I came the longer way home making it a 58k round trip, and apart from feeling a bit slippery my brand new saddle didn't do any bad things to my arse. I will proofide it tonight and take it on a 200 on Saturday to start breaking it in  :D

On the way home my stem mounted bell committed suicide by the round bit if it falling off. It is a shame it didn't do this on the way there, since SJS is where I got it from and I could have obtained a replacement!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1392 on: 29 September, 2011, 09:13:23 pm »
A new twist grip gear changer for my commuter bike, seeing as I managed to break the old one about a week ago.  And some new brake cable inners, as I'd remembered I used my last one up about 6 months ago and it's handy to keep a spare.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1393 on: 29 September, 2011, 09:15:56 pm »
I boughted a chainring. 
Getting there...

« Reply #1394 on: 29 September, 2011, 09:20:51 pm »
Ferrules and Bar End plugs. To go with cables and bars and tape.

We now haz all the bits.
Just lacking a bit of time & expertise.
I have lots of time, but as I can't DIY, I GAMI, and AM is busy working most of the time, and riding the rest. Maybe Sunday.

« Reply #1395 on: 29 September, 2011, 09:43:34 pm »
Got some of Muc Offs Miracle Shine polish to pamper our trikes after the holiday  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

LindaG

« Reply #1396 on: 30 September, 2011, 11:00:45 am »
A big Trangia bottle, to tackle the cup of tea in the mornings issue.  No idea how that's going to fit on the bike.  Inside a pannier, methinks.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #1397 on: 30 September, 2011, 07:40:15 pm »

2 sets of SPD pedals and a Casco ATC helmet + some brake cables.

« Reply #1398 on: 03 October, 2011, 06:10:58 pm »
I ordered a pair of Vittoria Paves from the LBS. They reckon that it could take up to a couple of weeks to arrive.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #1399 on: 03 October, 2011, 06:11:46 pm »
i just had a little minx-girl moment.

this place is dangerous sometimes.