Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 682975 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5900 on: 17 June, 2021, 11:46:21 am »
A 24" marathon plus for the rear of the folder. An hour fixing a puncture was alright in the sun yesterday but if it'd been cold and rainy it would have been a different matter.

Considered a RoadCruiser Plus instead as it was a tenner cheaper and is still a notch of protection more than the current tyre but eh. It would be a less stodgy ride but then I've got the motor helping anyway so...

I've ordered now anyway so I should stop second guesing my decision  :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

archy

• once asterix
« Reply #5901 on: 21 June, 2021, 07:12:39 pm »
A thing to hold my mobile on the bars. Cheap today on Amazon.
what man calls civilization
always results in deserts

« Reply #5902 on: 03 August, 2021, 11:26:57 am »
Having ridden a bike a grand total of twice(!) this year, the last thing I need is more cycling kit. But...shiny pretty shoes. And they were on sale. :facepalm:

archy

• once asterix
« Reply #5903 on: 11 August, 2021, 09:40:20 am »
New laces for my fantastically comfortable Giro Republic shoes.  Sadly the shoes are not in the same style league as the above but I can live with that.

« Reply #5904 on: 11 August, 2021, 10:19:31 am »
Having ridden a bike a grand total of twice(!) this year, the last thing I need is more cycling kit. But...shiny pretty shoes. And they were on sale. :facepalm:

Alas, they did not fit. I hate cycling shoes. Why do none of the pretty ones ever fit me? :'(

archy

• once asterix
« Reply #5905 on: 11 August, 2021, 05:44:49 pm »
Buy some shoes that fit then stick shiny stuff on. Then get out more.

« Reply #5906 on: 11 August, 2021, 05:46:35 pm »
Buy some shoes that fit then stick shiny stuff on. Then get out more.

I already did that, sort of, with my existing pair and a bottle of shiny purple paint! ;D

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #5907 on: 11 August, 2021, 06:00:51 pm »
IME cycling shoes are going to end up covered in mud at the first COR opportunity[1], so shinyness mostly serves as a sort of mobile disco if you ride a recumbent equipped with boom-mounted FRIKKIN LAZERS down a tree-lined lane at night.

[1] Which around here seems to include: Moving the wheeliebins to get the bike out of the house; stopping on actually-not-that-dry gravel; being forced to the side of a lane by someone in a wankpanzer or - on a bad day - unfortunately positioned horse poo.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Nick H.

« Reply #5908 on: 11 August, 2021, 06:21:05 pm »
I bought a bike - a proper weight weenie special, 300 grams under the UCI limit. It was a very rash raid of my pension because I live on the 3rd floor and want a bike which is easy to carry up stairs. This sounds mad, I know. I already have a very nice bike which weighs 25 lbs. But I'm trying to recover from ME/CFS and doing a terrible job of it. I have assorted mental blocks about putting things off, not looking after myself, doing too much exercise, or too little....aah fuck it. And being a shopaholic and a kit whore (as Charlotte once described me) I bought a lonely Parlee Zero which a dentist has hardly ridden. He said it had 600 km on it, and I believe him. It's got Sram Red Etap, Lightweight Meilensteins and carbon everywhere, and cost £15 grand new. I paid £3600. Which is mad, but also perfectly sane and sensible.

« Reply #5909 on: 12 August, 2021, 09:28:10 am »
Not quite so grand at a tenner. Some merino socks. What a shame Planet X no longer do merino base layers.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5910 on: 12 August, 2021, 09:45:47 am »
I bought a bike - a proper weight weenie special, 300 grams under the UCI limit. It was a very rash raid of my pension because I live on the 3rd floor and want a bike which is easy to carry up stairs. This sounds mad, I know. I already have a very nice bike which weighs 25 lbs. But I'm trying to recover from ME/CFS and doing a terrible job of it. I have assorted mental blocks about putting things off, not looking after myself, doing too much exercise, or too little....aah fuck it. And being a shopaholic and a kit whore (as Charlotte once described me) I bought a lonely Parlee Zero which a dentist has hardly ridden. He said it had 600 km on it, and I believe him. It's got Sram Red Etap, Lightweight Meilensteins and carbon everywhere, and cost £15 grand new. I paid £3600. Which is mad, but also perfectly sane and sensible.

That's an eminently sensible reason for buying a light bike.  Congratulations on the new steed, may it be a long and sordid affair between you!

archy

• once asterix
« Reply #5911 on: 28 August, 2021, 07:40:37 pm »
A Trek Madone. 887500 drops it cost.

IRL I bought an eight speed chain and 2-bolt seat post for £25 incl p&p

Nick H.

« Reply #5912 on: 01 September, 2021, 06:01:31 pm »

That's an eminently sensible reason for buying a light bike.  Congratulations on the new steed, may it be a long and sordid affair between you!
Thank you! I'm loving it so far. Ridden it four times, total mileage 30. Which is a huge step for me. Such an amazing bit of kit.....like a magic carpet. The next step is to put my secret 80mm wheels on it.  :P