Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 862905 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5900 on: 17 June, 2021, 11:46:21 am »
A 24" marathon plus for the rear of the folder. An hour fixing a puncture was alright in the sun yesterday but if it'd been cold and rainy it would have been a different matter.

Considered a RoadCruiser Plus instead as it was a tenner cheaper and is still a notch of protection more than the current tyre but eh. It would be a less stodgy ride but then I've got the motor helping anyway so...

I've ordered now anyway so I should stop second guesing my decision  :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #5901 on: 21 June, 2021, 07:12:39 pm »
A thing to hold my mobile on the bars. Cheap today on Amazon.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5902 on: 03 August, 2021, 11:26:57 am »
Having ridden a bike a grand total of twice(!) this year, the last thing I need is more cycling kit. But...shiny pretty shoes. And they were on sale. :facepalm:

« Reply #5903 on: 11 August, 2021, 09:40:20 am »
New laces for my fantastically comfortable Giro Republic shoes.  Sadly the shoes are not in the same style league as the above but I can live with that.

« Reply #5904 on: 11 August, 2021, 10:19:31 am »
Having ridden a bike a grand total of twice(!) this year, the last thing I need is more cycling kit. But...shiny pretty shoes. And they were on sale. :facepalm:

Alas, they did not fit. I hate cycling shoes. Why do none of the pretty ones ever fit me? :'(

« Reply #5905 on: 11 August, 2021, 05:44:49 pm »
Buy some shoes that fit then stick shiny stuff on. Then get out more.

« Reply #5906 on: 11 August, 2021, 05:46:35 pm »
Buy some shoes that fit then stick shiny stuff on. Then get out more.

I already did that, sort of, with my existing pair and a bottle of shiny purple paint! ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5907 on: 11 August, 2021, 06:00:51 pm »
IME cycling shoes are going to end up covered in mud at the first COR opportunity[1], so shinyness mostly serves as a sort of mobile disco if you ride a recumbent equipped with boom-mounted FRIKKIN LAZERS down a tree-lined lane at night.

[1] Which around here seems to include: Moving the wheeliebins to get the bike out of the house; stopping on actually-not-that-dry gravel; being forced to the side of a lane by someone in a wankpanzer or - on a bad day - unfortunately positioned horse poo.

Nick H.

« Reply #5908 on: 11 August, 2021, 06:21:05 pm »
I bought a bike - a proper weight weenie special, 300 grams under the UCI limit. It was a very rash raid of my pension because I live on the 3rd floor and want a bike which is easy to carry up stairs. This sounds mad, I know. I already have a very nice bike which weighs 25 lbs. But I'm trying to recover from ME/CFS and doing a terrible job of it. I have assorted mental blocks about putting things off, not looking after myself, doing too much exercise, or too little....aah fuck it. And being a shopaholic and a kit whore (as Charlotte once described me) I bought a lonely Parlee Zero which a dentist has hardly ridden. He said it had 600 km on it, and I believe him. It's got Sram Red Etap, Lightweight Meilensteins and carbon everywhere, and cost £15 grand new. I paid £3600. Which is mad, but also perfectly sane and sensible.

« Reply #5909 on: 12 August, 2021, 09:28:10 am »
Not quite so grand at a tenner. Some merino socks. What a shame Planet X no longer do merino base layers.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5910 on: 12 August, 2021, 09:45:47 am »
I bought a bike - a proper weight weenie special, 300 grams under the UCI limit. It was a very rash raid of my pension because I live on the 3rd floor and want a bike which is easy to carry up stairs. This sounds mad, I know. I already have a very nice bike which weighs 25 lbs. But I'm trying to recover from ME/CFS and doing a terrible job of it. I have assorted mental blocks about putting things off, not looking after myself, doing too much exercise, or too little....aah fuck it. And being a shopaholic and a kit whore (as Charlotte once described me) I bought a lonely Parlee Zero which a dentist has hardly ridden. He said it had 600 km on it, and I believe him. It's got Sram Red Etap, Lightweight Meilensteins and carbon everywhere, and cost £15 grand new. I paid £3600. Which is mad, but also perfectly sane and sensible.

That's an eminently sensible reason for buying a light bike.  Congratulations on the new steed, may it be a long and sordid affair between you!

« Reply #5911 on: 28 August, 2021, 07:40:37 pm »
A Trek Madone. 887500 drops it cost.

IRL I bought an eight speed chain and 2-bolt seat post for £25 incl p&p

Nick H.

« Reply #5912 on: 01 September, 2021, 06:01:31 pm »

That's an eminently sensible reason for buying a light bike.  Congratulations on the new steed, may it be a long and sordid affair between you!
Thank you! I'm loving it so far. Ridden it four times, total mileage 30. Which is a huge step for me. Such an amazing bit of kit.....like a magic carpet. The next step is to put my secret 80mm wheels on it.  :P

« Reply #5913 on: 03 October, 2021, 03:25:30 pm »
Another Cateye BM-45 bar end mirror.  As missing a mirror on my current commuter bike - saves so much neck movement.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5914 on: 06 October, 2021, 10:19:48 am »
Bum cream and toe hooks.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5915 on: 06 October, 2021, 11:11:21 am »
my tailfin should be arriving today, about three weeks earlier than anticipated.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5916 on: 06 October, 2021, 12:39:24 pm »
Back light for the new rack I've fitted to my 'cyclocross' (ie do-anything) bike. It would appear that no new technology has been applied to rack lights in the last 15 years, and the old Cateye 620 is still state-of-the-art.

« Reply #5917 on: 06 October, 2021, 12:51:26 pm »
This was always my favourite, now sadly unobtainable : -

Rust never sleeps

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5918 on: 17 October, 2021, 07:43:53 am »
I've just bought a 1964 Moulton Speed for £70 and £3.20 postage.  The alloy mudguards alone make it worth having.

I think I might never see this one, but it was worth a punt.  Ebay, so totally safe if the seller won't ship.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5919 on: 17 October, 2021, 08:15:17 am »
4 x Ambrosio Excellence rims

rogerzilla

« Reply #5920 on: 17 October, 2021, 03:02:16 pm »
I've just bought a 1964 Moulton Speed for £70 and £3.20 postage.  The alloy mudguards alone make it worth having.

I think I might never see this one, but it was worth a punt.  Ebay, so totally safe if the seller won't ship.
It was a newbie mistake, of course.  I said he can ship it (he'll still make money) or issue a refund.  No response yet.  I would rather like it.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5921 on: 20 October, 2021, 02:56:16 pm »
He delivered it.  From Ilford to Swindon.  I paid half the petrol, because I felt bad.

It's a 1964 riveted Speed with all its original bits, apparently bought new from Harrods.  It's in a sorry state but certainly salvageable.  Also has a Dynohub and he threw in a rear bag which is probably worth the selling price alone.

The stem isn't seized.  Phew.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5922 on: 03 November, 2021, 08:39:48 pm »
A cheap but not bad Brooks B17 and a leather hole punch.  The original Middlemores saddle with its perforated flanks is long ruined (top ripped away from its cantle plate), but I can make the Brooks look pretty much identical.  The holes are low down and purely decorative.  I have the Middlemores saddle to use as a guide.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5923 on: 04 November, 2021, 02:43:50 pm »
Snaffled the last pair of Shimano MTB pedals in Decathlon, to replace the pair on my Trek, which have done 30,000k and are clicking despite being copiously re-greased recently.  I'll probably replace the balls & re-grease at some point, but right now ICBA and at 35€...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

« Reply #5924 on: 11 November, 2021, 05:54:24 pm »
Ah bugger, another Moulton.  This is a Deluxe that's been in a dry attic since 1972, with good chrome, the rear bag, front rack and "MM" bell  :o

Unless something goes horribly wrong with the Speed parts I've sent for rechroming, I'll keep this one intact, give it an overhaul, and sell it to someone who will appreciate it and not just break it up for profit.  I'm only paying what the bag and bell are worth!  A Deluxe isn't a keeper for me as they're too damn heavy - pushing 40lb.