Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865013 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #175 on: 10 May, 2010, 12:44:02 pm »
I have bought a new saddle.  I may not tell my colleagues how much it cost, as I suspect the reaction would be "but you could buy a whole bike for that in Halfords!"  I shall find out if it was worth it this week!

« Reply #176 on: 15 May, 2010, 12:13:06 pm »
Some new summer long finger gloves.
2 x 9sp chains.
My first BBB cassette.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #177 on: 15 May, 2010, 01:23:29 pm »
Ortlieb front back and map case. Just fitted it to the Dave Yates at a jaunty angle to clear the STI cables. Thanks to Jogler, who lent me one last year, I had already established that this would work and in practice actually puts the map at the perfect angle for reading.

« Reply #178 on: 15 May, 2010, 01:24:46 pm »
Wiggle sent the wrong size and colour gloves.  Good thing really as I don't think even the XL will be big enough and I don't like the closure system on them.  Money back instead or a replacement this time.

« Reply #179 on: 15 May, 2010, 03:36:49 pm »
I bought this:
Cannondale |  LE Jacket
yesterday, because the zipper on my Le Coq Sportif jacket came off. I might let a tailor replace them tough, since except for the zippers, the jacket is fine. And it's not easy to find a jacket with front pockets and no stuff on the back that I will lie on while riding a recumbent.

The Cannondale is substantially heavier (and probably warmer) than my old jacket. It's also 2.5 times more expensive...
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #180 on: 15 May, 2010, 04:17:04 pm »
New disc pads

CrinklyLion

« Reply #181 on: 17 May, 2010, 04:41:24 pm »
A pair of Ortlieb front rollers (in very fetching dark green) reduced to 50 quid from the corner shop.  For my 8 year old :)  As the chap said, "Well, that'll test the theory that an Ortlieb is a bag for life!"

« Reply #182 on: 17 May, 2010, 08:51:17 pm »
A Tortec Ultralight rear rack :thumbsup:

« Reply #183 on: 19 May, 2010, 01:24:16 pm »
Zefal rack cargo net and 2 long Blackburn rack stays. Good ol' SJS.
Stop analysing Strava and cut your hedge...

CrinklyLion

« Reply #184 on: 24 May, 2010, 07:15:54 pm »
A teeny tiny Topeak rack pack (albeit one with sneaky hidden expansion possibilities) for when I don't need to take a set of panniers (full of cake) out with me.  And I'm quite pleased that it was a fiver less at the corner shop than it would have been from either wiggle or crc.

I like my corner shop :)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #185 on: 24 May, 2010, 10:23:26 pm »
Magura maintenance kit should allow me to shorten the tubes and add new oil.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #186 on: 31 May, 2010, 05:15:58 pm »
Not cycling specific per se but these will be very usefull for route finding/following.
Reader's Digest Driver's Atlas of the British Isles.approx 4 miles to the inch
AA 3 Mile Road Atlas

for the princely sum of £1.50(that's one pound fifty pence) for both.

The detail is sufficient to show not only B roads clearly but country lanes,ideal for the type of routes I prefer

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #187 on: 31 May, 2010, 05:31:52 pm »
I didn't know they still did maps on paper...
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #188 on: 31 May, 2010, 06:22:02 pm »
 they did in 1988.
Although motorways & other primary routes will have changed,the byeways that are of interest to me will probably not have done so.

Si_Co

« Reply #189 on: 31 May, 2010, 07:22:15 pm »
New shoes, pedals and a gilet are now winging their way to north wales courtesy of wiggle  :thumbsup:

Now to phone Mrs S and explain how this represents such good value considering what I COULD have purchased  ::-)

« Reply #190 on: 01 June, 2010, 05:14:04 pm »
I've resisted for a while, but neither a Charge Spoon nor a Specialized Avatar have been really comfy, so today I ordered my first Brooks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #191 on: 01 June, 2010, 07:47:39 pm »
Order a cushion.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #192 on: 01 June, 2010, 07:48:34 pm »
from Brooks

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #193 on: 01 June, 2010, 07:59:38 pm »
I've resisted for a while, but neither a Charge Spoon nor a Specialized Avatar have been really comfy, so today I ordered my first Brooks.
It's one of those love 'em or hate 'em things.
I love 'em,particularly the Swallow with titanium rails.I went into Longstaffs last Saturday with my son for his benefit & was dissappointed that they didn't have one in stock.It would have been the fifth one (Bev did offer to order one in :thumbsup:) so that each bike,apart from the rarely used tandem & folder,has one fitted.

« Reply #194 on: 01 June, 2010, 08:07:33 pm »
A Topeak Bar X-tender to replace a Spacegrip that disintegrated without any input from me.

« Reply #195 on: 01 June, 2010, 08:28:10 pm »
Order a cushion.

I'm working on the basis that recommendations for Specialized come have come from people that really haven't liked Brooks. I got round a 200k on the Avatar, without injury but not in comfort. On this basis (alone, and with complete disregard of everyone that says Brooks are great) maybe I will like the Brooks.  :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #196 on: 01 June, 2010, 08:36:03 pm »
I have tried other saddles which were o.k. for 2 or 3 hour rides but for longer rides the Brooks products are excellent & get better with use/age & remain comfortable all day/night long. I started with a B17 & found that narrower was better so moved onto the Swallow(s)

« Reply #197 on: 01 June, 2010, 08:37:52 pm »
Tandem rear brake and gear cables and a 'thin' MTB tyre. All for the recumbent project.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #198 on: 01 June, 2010, 09:16:06 pm »
Order a cushion.

I'm working on the basis that recommendations for Specialized come have come from people that really haven't liked Brooks. I got round a 200k on the Avatar, without injury but not in comfort. On this basis (alone, and with complete disregard of everyone that says Brooks are great) maybe I will like the Brooks.  :)

Your logic is impeccable impenetrable ;D

Hope it works for you :thumbsup:
Getting there...

« Reply #199 on: 01 June, 2010, 09:20:33 pm »
I find Specialized kit (shoes, gloves, helmet) to be an excellent fit, and the stuff is well made.   My arse however, has never felt comfortable unless in close proximity to firm English leather....(2 x B17, 2 x Conquest)   :)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark